George Zipp named Bills HS Coach of the Week

Ted Striker

that is Scott Zipp.

I was coached by him when he coached for Airlanes little league in Cheektowaga. He was a good assistant coach, but my team was undertalented and went 0-8 that year. I also happened to wrestle against athletes that he coached, and his wrestlers were well coached as well

Rumack: Well, I don't have anything to say, you've done the best you could. You really have, the best you could. You can't expect to win em all. But, I want to tell you something I've kept to myself through these years. I was in the war myself, medical corps. I was on late duty one night when they brought in a badly wounded pilot from one of the raids. He could barely talk. He looked at me and said, "The odds were against us up there, but we went in anyway, I'm glad the Captain made the right decision." The pilot's name was George Zip.

Ted Striker: George Zip said that?

Rumack: The last thing he said to me, "Doc," he said, "some time when the crew is up against it, and the breaks are beating the boys, tell them to get out there and give it all they got and win just one for the Zipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Doc," he said, "but I won't smell too good, that's for sure."

Ted Striker: Excuse me doc, I got a plane to land.

Ted Striker: My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We're bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We're coming in from the north, below their radar.

Elaine Dickinson: When will you be back?

Ted Striker: I can't tell you that. It's classified.

Rumack: You'd better tell the Captain we've got to land as soon as we can. This woman has to be gotten to a hospital.

Elaine Dickinson: A hospital? What is it?

Rumack: It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

Roger Murdock: Flight 2-0-9'er, you are cleared for take-off.

Captain Oveur: Roger!

Roger Murdock: Huh?

Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.

Captain Oveur: Roger!

Victor Basta: Request vector, over.

Captain Oveur: What?

Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.

Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.

Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!

Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.

Tower voice: Over.

Captain Oveur: Roger.

Tower voice: Roger, over!

Roger Murdock: What?

Captain Oveur: Huh?

Victor Basta: Who?

Rumack: Can you fly this plane, and land it?

Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.

Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Joey: Wait a minute. I know you. You're Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Roger Murdock: I'm sorry son, but you must have me confused with someone else. My name is Roger Murdock. I'm the co-pilot.

Joey: You are Kareem. I've seen you play. My dad's got season tickets.

Roger Murdock: I think you should go back to your seat now Joey. Right Clarence?

Captain Oveur: Nahhhhhh, he's not bothering anyone, let him stay here.

Roger Murdock: But just remember, my name is

[showing his nametag]

Roger Murdock: ROGER MURDOCK. I'm an airline pilot.

Joey: I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense.

[Kareem's getting mad]

Joey: And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the playoffs.

Roger Murdock: The hell I don't. LISTEN KID. I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

Rumack: Randy, are you all right?

Randy: Oh, Dr. Rumack, I'm scared. I've never been so scared. And besides, I'm 26 and I'm not married.

Rumack: We're going to make it, you've got to believe that.

[a woman passenger comes in]

Mrs. Hammen: Dr. Rumack, do you have any idea when we'll be landing?

Rumack: Pretty soon, how are you bearing up?

Mrs. Hammen: Well, to be honest, I've never been so scared. But at least I have a husband.

[Randy cries harder]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Controller: I know but this guy has no flying experience at all. He's a menace to himself and everything else in the air... yes, birds too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elaine: Would you gentlemen care to order your dinners?

First Jive Dude: Bet, babe. Slide a piece o' da' porter. Drinks, I run da' java.

Second Jive Dude: Lookie here. I can dig grease 'n chompin' on some buns and draggin' through the garden.

[last lines]

Man in Taxi: Well, I'll give him another twenty minutes; but that's it!

Radio DJ: This is WZAZ in Chicago, where disco lives forever...

[the airplane zooms overhead the building, knocking the radio antenna down, and the signal goes dead]

Mrs. Geline: I haven't felt this awful since we saw that Ronald Reagan film.

Rex Kramer: [talking on the phone to the airport control tower] No, we can't do that, the risk of a flame-out is too great. Keep 'em at 24,000. No, feet.

[with Randi's help, and as Dr. Rumack looks on, Ted is studying the controls of Flight #209 and attempting, against all hope, to understand how in heaven do these blasted things work]

Elaine Dickinson: Ted! What are you doing here? *You* can't fly this plane!

Ted Striker: That's what I'm trying to *tell* these people!

Rex Kramer: Don't be a fool, Striker, you know what a landing like this means, you more than anybody. I'm ordering you to stay up there.

Ted Striker: No dice, Chicago. I'm giving the orders and we're coming in. I guess the foot's on the other hand now, isn't it Kramer?

Johnny: Auntie Em, Uncle Henry, Toto! It's a twister! It's a twister!

[repeated lines]

Steve McCroskey: Johnny, how 'bout some more coffee?

Johnny: No, thanks!

[reading newspaper headlines]

Rex Kramer: Passengers certain to die!

Steve McCroskey: Airline negligent.

Johnny: There's a sale at Penney's!

Newspaper Headline: Boy trapped in refrigerator eats own foot.

Johnny: [to Mrs. Oveur] Where did you get that dress, it's awful, and those shoes and that coat, jeeeeez!

Rex Kramer: No... that's just what they'll be expecting us to do!

Female announcer: Captain Oveur, white courtesy phone. Captain Clarence Oveur, white courtesy phone.

Female announcer: [Oveur picks up the red phone] No, the white phone.

Female announcer: Captain Oveur, white courtesy phone. Captain Clarence Oveur, white courtesy phone.

Captain Oveur: [to announcer] I GOT IT!

Rex Kramer: All right, I'll need three men up at the tower. You, Neubauer. You, Macias.

Johnny: Me, John, big tree!

Ted Striker: [plane loses an engine] The oil pressure. I forgot to check the oil pressure! When Kramer hears about this, the ****'s going to hit the fan!

[in the office **** flies into a fan and fall down]

Male announcer: Air Israel, please clear the runway!

Steve McCroskey: [seeing airplane from tower] It's coming right at us!

[he then jumps out of a window]

[looking at the controls of the airplane as he begins to try to fly it]

Ted Striker: Let's see... altitude: 21,000 feet. Speed: 520 knots. Level flight. Course: zero-niner-zero. Trim and mixture: wash, soak, rinse, spin.

Jack: What's going on? We have a right to know the truth!

Rumack: [to the passengers] All right, I'm going to level with you all. But what's most important now is that you remain calm. There is no reason to panic.

[Rumack's nose grows an inch long]

Rumack: Now, it is true that one of the crew members is ill... slightly ill.

[Rumack's nose continues to grow longer and longer; al la Pinocchio]

Rumack: But the other two pilots... they're just fine. They're at the controls flying the plane... free to pursue a life of religious fulfillment.

Mrs. Hammen: Jim never has a second cup of coffee at home.

Mrs. Hammen: Jim never vomits at home.

Rex Kramer: [continuing to talk into the radio after Striker lands the plane] Ted, have you ever been face down in the mud, and been kicked in the head with an iron boot? Of course you haven't! No one has! It's a stupid question! Forget I even asked!