I wish my Kids weren't Bills Fans

BMWR100RT

I remember becoming a bills fan in about 4th or 5th grade. I was allways mad when other kids wore Dolphins or Cowboys jerseys. "But we're from Buffalo!". I just couldn't understand how they could cheer for a community they didn't belong to. Yesterday, my 10 year old son was sitting with me on the couch, watching the slaughter at the hands of the winless dolphins, when he said to me "Dad, I can't wait to beat the Steelers, so I can rub it in to my teacher (A big steelers fan)". He was so sincere and actually has that spirit that sadly took 48 years to be sucked completely out of me. I can't stop supporting the Bills, but I want something better for my children.

Ironically, I see quite a few kids wearing non-Bills jerseys around town. That probably wouldn't be the case if Bernie (Ralph) cared. I just have no reason to be optimistic.

If any non-Bills fans who live in the Buffalo area caould share how hey escaped from the Bills. Was i a certain game, a playoff run, a gift of a Jersys from Grandpa the Giants fan.....what can I do to get my kids to not be Bills fans? I'm serious.

Steve in Rochester

I have kids about the same age and they have only seen the Bills suck their entire lives. Yet they still have hope. Guess that comes with being a kid. You may not have to do anything, when Ralph goes to that hall of fame in the sky and the team moves, that might be enough to spark interest in another team or sport. I hope it's the latter for my kids. The NFL is an overpriced joke in my opinion. If the Bills are no longer in Buffalo, I probably won't follow American football much if at all.

I remember becoming a bills fan in about 4th or 5th grade. I was allways mad when other kids wore Dolphins or Cowboys jerseys. "But we're from Buffalo!". I just couldn't understand how they could cheer for a community they didn't belong to. Yesterday, my 10 year old son was sitting with me on the couch, watching the slaughter at the hands of the winless dolphins, when he said to me "Dad, I can't wait to beat the Steelers, so I can rub it in to my teacher (A big steelers fan)". He was so sincere and actually has that spirit that sadly took 48 years to be sucked completely out of me. I can't stop supporting the Bills, but I want something better for my children.

Ironically, I see quite a few kids wearing non-Bills jerseys around town. That probably wouldn't be the case if Bernie (Ralph) cared. I just have no reason to be optimistic.

If any non-Bills fans who live in the Buffalo area caould share how hey escaped from the Bills. Was i a certain game, a playoff run, a gift of a Jersys from Grandpa the Giants fan.....what can I do to get my kids to not be Bills fans? I'm serious.

Steve in Rochester

I feel your pain dude, my Kids, 2 out of three, anyway are, and they have never lived in Buffalo.

My oldest went through the pain of the SB years, so he is more calloused. I didn't think that my

youngest was in to them real big, but he constantly ask's what the Bills's score is, and is genuinley

dissapointed when it is not favorable. I don't know what it is, but I think a lot of it is just them picking

up my passion, so I am going to have to do a better job of containing that, and the Bills are helping me

greatly with that this year. I do not want them to suffer like I have, fortunatley they have a lot of other

interests.

I told my wife yesterday, that today will be the day that will dictate to me what I do with my Sunday's

for the foreseeable future. They will include very little football. Hell I only watched maybe 10 minutes of

last night's Steeler game, it's a start.

See, this is where I need to start looking at the glass as half full. My little chuckleheads have decided not to be Bills fans just to piss me off..was steamed about that but now thinking about it it is prolly for the best. But God didn't think it was funny, and my son has turned into a Redskins fan :thumbsup:

Steve in Rochester

I hear what your saying. Last year, my son & I watched the Mets blow the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row on the last day of the season. We each threw off our jerseys(he was 4 at the time). I had that heart to heart talk with him, saying he should really consider becoming a Yankees fan. I looked him in the eye & said " Im in this too deep to change teams now, but for you there is still time to get it right, if you want sports happiness over the years, go to the darkside & become a yankee fan". Too his credit he still routes for the Mets & the Bills. Poor kid, probably will never experience a championship in his lifetime.