Unsung

SouthernMan

Not necessarily heros, but quietly doing their job nonetheless.

Josh Reed has turned into Mr. Dependable. Not flashy, or trying too hard to get that extra yard - just holding on to the ball and moving the chains and giving the O another set of downs. A really clutch player and standup guy, making the most of the abilities.

Kyle Williams on defense - really starting to look like a vetran DT, and a great compliment to Stroud. I thought he showed great potential last year, and he may the Bills breakout player this year.

Honorable mention to Lindell and Buggs.

Good post. All those you mentioned are good soldiers. I've always liked Williams but it looks like he's stepped up his play.

Of Josh Reed's 56 receptions last year, 36 of them were for first downs. In 2007 he had 51 receptions for 33 first downs.

So he's been Mr. Dependable for awhile now.

Marcus Buggs made a couple of nice stops on Cadillac. He always filled the right gap and made the tackle. He didn't play much because the Bucs had to pass lot but when he was on the field his play was solid.

Yeah I was gonna start a Buggs thread but I try not to clutter things up too much here. You're right he played in a limited number of snaps due to the circumstances but like he did in preseason, he showed excellent instincts, diagnosis ability, and quickness to the ball. This guy might be the type of linebacker to make lots of tackles in the backfield.

All those guys were strong yesterday. Josh Reed is so important and has great hands. I thought Kawike Mitchell was great as well. He was NASTY out there hitting people and bringing some attitude.

I have mixed feelings on Mitchell. When he gets a head of steam and unloads it's pretty cool. More often he looks slow in space and it seems he fails to exert full effort. On Pats first TD last week, an unblocked KM could have filled the hole and plugged Taylor. Instead he took a half-speed swipe and completely whiffed. I've seen him give up on plays on more than a few occasions.

I have mixed feelings on Mitchell. When he gets a head of steam and unloads it's pretty cool. More often he looks slow in space and it seems he fails to exert full effort. On Pats first TD last week, an unlocked KM could have filled the hole and plugged Taylor. Instead he took a half-speed swipe and completely whiffed. I've seen him give up on plays on more than a few occasions.

I've never felt like this coaching staff has played to Kawika's strengths. He's not a great player but he seems like a forward moving, downhill type thumper...a poor man's Rey Maualuga.

In spite of a few INTs he's had, he's not good in space against either the pass or the run. To me it's similar to the Jeff Posey situation where the team needs to justify his spot because he was a ballyhooed free agent signee and a great teammate and leader.

But I think linebacker is the weakest unit on this team right now. I think it needs to be upgraded and it wouldn't surprise me in the end if we find that the upgrades are already on the roster.