Getting Evans and TO open

Got_Wood

Hard for any of us to speculate whether adding some plays will somehow overwhelm Trent, but I will say that I was very impressed with Trent's management of the offense and especially his complete command at the line of scrimmage. His mannerisms and decisiveness reminded me of, dare I say it, Peyton Manning. Clearly this offense and pace do in fact take advantage of Trent's strengths, and it shows.

Several of my coworkers from Houston who have no ties or fan loyalty to the team told me the day after, WOW, Trent really looks like the real deal.

Everything you are saying is of course correct. And everything you are saying will of course be flagrantly disregarded by that sector of TSW populace that wants to see Trent Edwards and DJ canned because their fantasy football players aren't getting enough touches.

Personally, I felt like AVP/Edwards were trying to set the Pats* D up by killing them with screens and draws and trying to get them to cheat up toward the line of scrimmage, but it just never materialized. Since NE* never showed the ability to stop the short stuff, there was no need to try and force opening it up. Also, it was a revelation just to SEE those screens and draws that seemed to gather dust since last decade (Kelly in AVP's ear before gameday?)

Regarding TE's command at the line, I agree that they are running the no huddle more to give Edwards the time to look over the defense, and less to increase the pace of the game (especially considering most snaps came with only a few ticks left of the play clock) much as they do in Indy.

I think having Nelson and Schouman as close split ends and wing backs achieved something similar to what you are talking about. They are in position to block and they have the size to catch passes underneath, and Jackson is a good reciever, all of which will make the defense cheat up. The Patriots chose not to cheat up, so we threw underneath and ran the ball. But as our offense develops, we are going to become more efficient in the passing game and double covering anyone just wont be an option.

I will be satisfied when we can finally get the ball to roscoe because they are too worried about covering everyone else.

Before I get accused of being negative, let me first say I think AVP did a great job with the playcalling. The screen plays were executed to perfection, having athletic Olineman makes me think our line was just too big last year and couldnt get out of their own way.

BUT...you cant tell me they took out our top 2 wrs...i didnt like when they said last year they took "Lee out of the game". Now they are able to take Lee and TO out of the game? Im sorry that unacceptable, we need to get the rock in their hands. Look at Reggie Wayne last week...with gonzo out with an injury Wayne still tacked up 160 yards...with no reliable option on the other side. If we are taking what we are given and moving the ball is one thing...BUT to say we CANT get Lee or TO the ball is insane!!!

I concur on about everything. The game plan and play calling and all were very good. But really, we only got 17 points on O. We need more. To do so, we need to get the ball in TO's hands way more than twice. Understand he dropped one and pushed off on another. But on the 2 he got, they were just short little routes where he was hit on the run and able to run a long way with. 2 catches 48 yards. Same with Evans. Even if they take out the long game blah blah blah, we can still get the ball in TO and Lee's hands more. That pick play would work no matter wether they're trying to take out the log pass or not.

Go BILLS !!

I concur on about everything. The game plan and play calling and all were very good. But really, we only got 17 points on O. We need more. To do so, we need to get the ball in TO's hands way more than twice. Understand he dropped one and pushed off on another. But on the 2 he got, they were just short little routes where he was hit on the run and able to run a long way with. 2 catches 48 yards. Same with Evans. Even if they take out the long game blah blah blah, we can still get the ball in TO and Lee's hands more. That pick play would work no matter wether they're trying to take out the log pass or not.

Go BILLS !!

Scoring points is not about putting the ball in certain players hands. It is about putting the ball where the defense is weakest. They literally double teamed both Lee and TO all night long. I never thought Belichick would do that. It sends the signal that he has no idea what to do to stop this team, and thus he chose to make us execute the short passes consistently which the Pats were quite literally just giving us. As long as they are using 4 DBs to defend two receivers, there is absolutely no reason not to run those receivers down field all day long and throw it to the space they just vacated. I don't understand where the idea comes from that certain players need to have the ball - when your QB has a 114 rating, 60% completions, and averages over 14 yards per completion, that is total domination, and there is no other word strong enough to describe it.