Alex Van Pelt

Lofton80

AVP has a short time frame to fix this mess of an offense. What can he do footballwise

to make this better quickly.

Pass schemes: Offensive line and running backs: I think he needs to go basic here with blocking on passes maybe even having a scheme that sends only Evans and Owens on a pattern and the rest block. (Miami won 11 games doing this last year). Trent needs the protection and the confidence. The young lineman need the help. Baby steps!

Line communication: Saw a lot in preseason, interior lineman letting blitzers go and leaving rb's to block them. This is expected sometimes but way too often the middle blitzers run right by our lineman who inevitably is looking in the other direction, leaving the rb to block in a mismatch, leading to a Trentative moment. 3-4 defenses will just keep blitzing the middle until we get it right.

Use a real FB: Keep McIntyre and let him hammer people as a blocker. Let Oman go and take the risk. The H-back route has not helped the run game at all.

I think he needs to concentrate on calling lots of play-action, and downfield passing plays, and get Trent away from the excessive check-downs. If I were AVP, I would tell Trent, "Let 'er rip!."

I agree - -poor Trent's career is fading fast in whatever offense we're trying to run. Open it up.