Bills need to dump 97 Rock

jahbonas

We see the way the Sabres have virtually "bought" WGR as their own sports station and propoganda machine and how well it has worked. Buffalo now follows NHL like a religion compared to the rest of the country.

The Bills should do similar with an AM radio station and claim it as The Bills station and just as the sabres do make sure their players and scouts and GM's are available for interviews and shows etccc. WGR would quickly see that their bull sh-- claim that this is an NHL town rather than Bills/NFL town is not true.

The Sabres get both the payments from WGR for broadcast rights and the propoganda machine. The Bills from 97 Rock only get the broadcast rights - all the other hours thru the week are just music etccc...

We see the way the Sabres have virtually "bought" WGR as their own sports station and propoganda machine and how well it has worked. Buffalo now follows NHL like a religion compared to the rest of the country.

The Bills should do similar with an AM radio station and claim it as The Bills station and just as the sabres do make sure their players and scouts and GM's are available for interviews and shows etccc. WGR would quickly see that their bull sh-- claim that this is an NHL town rather than Bills/NFL town is not true.

The Sabres get both the payments from WGR for broadcast rights and the propoganda machine. The Bills from 97 Rock only get the broadcast rights - all the other hours thru the week are just music etccc...

Why can't that station be on FM? Seriously there are only a handfull of AM stations that actually cover WNY well nght and day: WGR, WBEN and WWKB. And guess who owns them all?? ENTERCOM! Now Buffalo is still one of those rare markets where pople still listen to AM, and WWKB is being wasted with oldies and talk shows. But Entercom is not going to let someone compete with one of their own.

A better idea would be for the Bills to by a big-signal FM but they are all controlled by large cluster owners. Here's a wild-card idea: Buy a TV station like ch.49 or ch.23. Put the Sabres on that too so people in So. Ontario can actually see the Sabres on TV again.

PTR

You think the reason that Buffalo follows the NHL "like a religion" is becuase of WGR?

I really dont get this whole WGR hatred..it is what it is, why does it make everyone so mad

WGR hasnt talked hockey since Bills started camp/preseason (excpet when they made a free agent signing). Likewise, they talk mostly hockey once the NFL season is over...this seems logical to me

You think the reason that Buffalo follows the NHL "like a religion" is becuase of WGR?

Yes I do - Buffalo always followed the Sabres but moving to the tops in the country is due in large part that there is 1 Sports station in town and it covers the NHL as if its on par with the NFL - and actually covers it as if somehow the NHL is more popular than the NFL or NBA. Why would you NOT think this?

Small example - most of the year Mike Robitaille has 1 hour show each Tuesday morning and Lindy Ruff has a similar show - you telling me WGR has a comparable for its Bills coverage? It has Paul Hamilton who is there because he played college hockey.

I'm not blasting WGR for constant coverage of the Sabres and NHL as much as Buffalo needs a Bills/NFL alternative

I'd love to know the the difference between what 97Rock pays for in its rights and what an AM sports talk station can pay?

Other poster brought up a good point about having it on FM...if it was a Sports radio talk format then sounds like a good idea too.

Yes I do - Buffalo always followed the Sabres but moving to the tops in the country is due in large part that there is 1 Sports station in town and it covers the NHL as if its on par with the NFL - and actually covers it as if somehow the NHL is more popular than the NFL or NBA. Why would you NOT think this?

Small example - most of the year Mike Robitaille has 1 hour show each Tuesday morning and Lindy Ruff has a similar show - you telling me WGR has a comparable for its Bills coverage? It has Paul Hamilton who is there because he played college hockey.

I get what you are saying...but why shouldnt they cover the NHL as if its on par with the NFL?...in buffalo it might just be

A lot of people here play hockey (or their kids do), and there is a lot of history in the sabres organization. Additionally there is a lot of interest from across the border as well. Not that i care about this, but the Sabres are very kid friendly and appeal to families.

Being a local station, it is in their best interest to cover what is popular locally....not nationally (i.e. nascar. mlb, nba)...obviously there are people here interested in those sports (me being one of them), but probably not enough to drive ratings and advertising dollars.

I get what you are saying...but why shouldnt they cover the NHL as if its on par with the NFL?...in buffalo it might just be

A lot of people here play hockey (or their kids do), and there is a lot of history in the sabres organization. Additionally there is a lot of interest from across the border as well. Not that i care about this, but the Sabres are very kid friendly and appeal to families.

Being a local station, it is in their best interest to cover what is popular locally....not nationally (i.e. nascar. mlb, nba)...obviously there are people here interested in those sports (me being one of them), but probably not enough to drive ratings and advertising dollars.

What comes 1st the chicken or the egg?? The Sabres/NHL is so popular locally because there has been 1 sports station that promotes the NHL far more than the NFL....please lets not try to compare the 2 sports...

You indicate WGR is just 'reflecting' what the locals want....I feel they have in large part created what locals want....but also there is a big audience out there that just wishes for NFL coverage....we might be the only city in the country that chooses to use its hockey reporter (whose background is in hockey) Paul Hamilton and have him also jump over to cover football for them when hockey is not being played....

And could Paul Hamilton once get us opinions that really matter (GM's or scouts or coaches) who actually watch film instead of simply hearing Paul's personal opinion of what he observes at a practice?? How arrogant some in the media can be to think their opinion is more qualified than those who are paid and live the sport 24/7.

Will Mcdonough...as good a sports writer ever and columnist...forever reminded readers they did not buy the paper to read his peronal non-professional opinion of a given team....it was his job to obtain and report the opinions of those who truly lived the game and analyzed it as part of their profession. Anything less is virtually listening to 2 high school kids argue their personal opinions about a given event.....very similar to Howard Simon and Jeremy in the mornings

Here in Boston, 98.5 The Sports Hub is a new FM station that now covers and airs all Patriot and Bruins games. It's pretty good. They also talk Red Sox and Celtics; even though they don't host their games.

Buffalo does need competition to WGR ala (ESPN BUFFALO or CBS SPORTS BUFFALO) but it doesn't have to rest on AM stations only.

BTW, Bostonians still listen to AM big time (850 sports and 1030 news).

Here in Boston, 98.5 The Sports Hub is a new FM station that now covers and airs all Patriot and Bruins games. It's pretty good. They also talk Red Sox and Celtics; even though they don't host their games.

Buffalo does need competition to WGR ala (ESPN BUFFALO or CBS SPORTS BUFFALO) but it doesn't have to rest on AM stations only.

BTW, Bostonians still listen to AM big time (850 sports and 1030 news).

I lived in Boston for 6 years and though I hated the Patriots and Bruins I had to resepct the sports coverage they received (I listened mostly to WEII) and when I compare it to the crap on WGR.....

Mike Shoop 2 hours before gametime once again telling everyone how he likes tennis more than the NFL and he says Thank God tonights game will not be on TV.....will someone just buy him a skirt and makeup kit ?