Open letter to Bush on Church and State

In today's society, obviously marriage is not revered as in decades past

115101[/snapback]

Well maybe not, but is that any reason to just let it all go? If marriage means nothing, why are so many homosexuals trying so hard to get married? A lot of them will not be happy with a simple civil union, they want to actually be married.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose I may be able to live with that, but the problem would still be, where would the line be drawn? If they are allowed to have equal rights, who else would ask for them as well? Roommates? A son supporting his mother? A couple of best friends trying to cheat the system?

115099[/snapback]

Roommates and best friend can get married/civill-unioned. If they do it because one has good health insurance through their job for example, that's better than one of them mooching off of the system, but I don't see that happening. It hasn't happened with male-female couples racing to the courthouse to tie the knot before the judge. Undoing it can be too expensive and time consuming, and the fact that (in most states) both parties have a 50% equity in each others' property would prohibit casual unions in homosexual couples just as they currently do now in hetero couples.

As far as the son with the mother, being that they're immediate family, I don't believe there'd be any reason for them to do that, and it's also illegal in most states for one to marry one's mother/son.

I know what it means, I've never heard or seen it used in anything outside of a Biblical reference.  That might lead one to believe the word is archaic.

115157[/snapback]

i guess the point i am trying to make as i followed the thread was this:

when a people group is labeled by a term that is offensive, and or known to be offensive by an entire culture that group changes the term....to make it less offensive.

gay people do not want to be known as sodomites because that is an offensive term...and if you read the story of Lot and his family in Sodom and Gomorrah, you would see (and i am not saying you have never read it Genesis 19), what a repulsive lifestyle it truly is. In fact the term "sodomy" is far from archaic as I think it is on the books as a crimminal act.

ofiba is indicating (and i agree) that a culture becomes numb to a un-natural act...and after a while it begins to accept it. Are people in incestuous relationships (outside of West Virgina....ok...i am sorry...that was not nice), the next group to come up with a less offensive politically correct term?

Some educators and psyhcologists are already coming up with new words to describe pedophiles. why? because they want their behavior to be more acceptable.

IMHO of course.

I was raised to believe that my beliefs are something that you do not speak out about in public

115048[/snapback]

Then why are you speaking out about your beliefs on a public message board?

Also, ofiba, it's very anal(pun intended) of you to pick apart every last bit of the argument against homosexuality. Being gay is a sin. In the fundamental Christian eyes, all sins are equal. Why aren't you crusading against liars, or going for a Constitutional ban on impure thoughts? What makes homosexuality such a hot button issue?

I would like to know where you got those numbers from.  Also, just because a lot of people believe it, doesn't make it right.  You could argue that half the country once thought slavery was perfectly fine.  Many people in Germany thought that killing Jews was perfectly fine.  There is no rule stating that the more people believe something, the more true it becomes.

Also, maybe not many think incest is ok now, but who knows how they will feel in the future.  I would bet that 200 years ago, many many less people found homosexuality  unacceptable.   Does that mean that homosexuality was any worse than it is now? No, it just means people changed their opinion.

Could you please tell me what makes homosexuality better than incest? What makes  it more wrong to do? Don't say because it would mess up their kids, cause they could get married and still not have kids.

114996[/snapback]

If you are unwilling or unable to see the difference between half of the country thinking homosexuality is okay with them (in general terms) and a few thousand people thinking that incest is okay (vs. 99.9% of the country thinking it is not only a crime but unacceptable), than go right ahead and keep your head in the sand. There is no reason to carry this discussion on any further with you. NO ONE outside of a portion of the extremely few people who actually practice incest or poligamy think that it is fine or acceptable, and approximately a 125-150 plus millon people (half the country) who do not practice or have any interest whatsoever in participating in homosexuality think that homosexuality is fine or acceptable behavior for those who lean that way. Again, your slippery slope argument is just plain embarrassing in this case.

A lot of people think gay marriage is not acceptable, and that is understandable, and that is what the great debate is about. And likely there will be some compromise. Civil unions without calling it marriage is the likely result. But there is no great call for incest or poligamy legislation and there never will be. Don't even go there because you'll embarrass yourself.