• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[ogre]

NERRRRRRRRDS!!!!!

[/ogre]

:wallbash::w00t:

I totally agree. I am so lost in this discussion. But, preciate all the advice Deano and Fezmid and others dispense here, as helped me out tremendously, especially deano in the past

Man, protecting your PC now gotta be 5X the cost of the damn thing!!!!

Ugh. Sorry to hear. FWIW, via SJ.com -- after a freelancer lost a crapload of work thanks to a pressbox accident (kid somehow managed to drop a window, knocking the guy's laptop onto the floor), the best advice I read? Get a few flash drives and ALWAYS save the stuff you're working on before you pack up. The guy who suggested it carries one on his keychain, a couple in his laptop bag, etc. -- plenty big enough for a few Word files and .pdfs.

I also have an external HD ... which, now that you mention it, hasn't been put into service lately. Time to take my own advice...

indeed, having a flash drive and remembering or giving yourself the time to use it are two different things.

i've had a few crashes in my day, the most notable was during the third period of a Leafs-Senators playoff game in Ottawa. i immediately jumped on my stringer's laptop and still managed to get the story out seconds after the game ended.

that was a tough series on computers. a few games earlier, highly respected Canadian sports columnist Cam Cole had sparks flying out of the back of his machine and lost everything. talk about a meltdown.

jw

You know thats a cliché :unsure:

But it does have a lot of caché. :wallbash:I still rule!

I just went to a web search and clicked on a site that McAfee had greenlighted. After clicking it nothing came up except a box telling me I had a virus/maware and I needed to download a particular anti virus program. I exited out since this was obviously a scam of some kind. I'm running my Avira now and after that I'll run Malware. Is there anything more I really need to worry about?

indeed, having a flash drive and remembering or giving yourself the time to use it are two different things.

i've had a few crashes in my day, the most notable was during the third period of a Leafs-Senators playoff game in Ottawa. i immediately jumped on my stringer's laptop and still managed to get the story out seconds after the game ended.

that was a tough series on computers. a few games earlier, highly respected Canadian sports columnist Cam Cole had sparks flying out of the back of his machine and lost everything. talk about a meltdown.

jw

Sparks? Yikes.

Regarding your first point, true dat. Also, considering your job description, I'd assume that most of your stories are filed long before you leave the venue; this guy had some features and advances he hadn't backed up. Still had the audio/notes from his interviews, and such, but had to rewrite everything, of course -- and I still don't know how he managed to keep from killing the kid who wiped out his laptop. As he was trying to find someone in charge so he could borrow a computer and get back online, the kid (who worked for that school's SID) said, "You know, when I have to rewrite a paper or something, it's usually better the second time." I would've thrown him out the freaking window.