Bills may be able to beat the Pats..

PromoTheRobot

What about it?  If the ball touches a player who's out of bounds, the ball's out of bounds.  Makes sense ot me.

112195[/snapback]

Which was not the case in the Pats-Rams game last week.

Picking up an interference flag vs. the Jets a couple weeks ago because the DB complained? When does that EVER happen? It's a judgement call and those flags are NEVER picked up unless they realize that the ball was tipped (which it was not in this case).

Also there was that Bears game a couple years ago where a Pats player was tackled right at the 1st down marker on a 4th down play in a 2 minute situation. Not only did they give them the 1st down without a measurment, but they also stopped the clock for no reason (nobody called a time out). Dick Jaron said he had never seen anything like it before - either measure, or keep the clock running.

I'd also just like to add that during last year, the Pats got absolutely SCREWED by the refs frequently.  The two blatant ones that spring to mind are:

- In Denver on Monday night, there's a bad Koppen/Brady exchange on a snap, and the ball is loose.  The refs IMMEDIATELY signal Denver ball, without even checking to see who's got it.  Brady comes out of the pile with the ball, and a replay after the ad break shows him clearly falling on the ball and maintaining full control over it.  Brady reveals the next day that the ref admitted to him that they screwed up.

and:

- In Miami, the game is in overtime.  Feidler throws it deep to Derrius Thompson who, while looking up for the ball, steps out of bounds, and then steps out of bounds AGAIN while coming down from catching the ball.  This was so obvious that it should've been spotted on the field, but the ref controlling replay in the booth didn't do anything about it either.

It's worth noting that while both of these obvious screwjobs could've easily cost the Pats the game, they overcame the bad calls and won.  That's what good teams do.  I guess the bad teams just whine about them.

112203[/snapback]

Circle gets the square on this one. Nicely said.

It's a judgement call and those flags are NEVER picked up unless they realize that the ball was tipped (which it was not in this case).

Actually, I think there is a rule in place that slightly alters the downfield contact rule once the QB leaves the pocket. I don't know how it's written or under what circumstances they'll call it, but I'm pretty sure I've seen zebras pick up illegalcontact flags and cite the QB's position relative to the pocket as the rational.

Cya