Surprise training camp cuts

sharper802

From what I saw:

Cory McIntyre might not make the team. I don't know if there is a role for a fullback in the offense unless they consider him a premier special teams player. If not, I can't see any reason to keep him as they've decided to de-emphasize the fullback role. The other reason I see him getting cut is because I believe the Bills will keep Jonathan Stupar. Stupar is the only solid blocker we have at tight end and he appears to be a good receiver too. He made several nice catches and even on the play where Matt Baker attempted to get him killed, he bounced right back up after a helmet to helmet shot. The guy is a good football player (BTW I'm very concerned that Derek Schouman is the presumptive starter at tight end. He's 220 pounds and missed two key blocks last night in limited playing time). It looks like we're keeping Nelson, both Dereks, and Stupar to me. That means McIntyre is gone IMO.

John Wendling I'm very disappointed with. His third season and yes, he's a good special teams player for the most part but adds nothing as a safety. Also, he was the player who lost outside containment on the fake punt...I don't blame him completely for that because it was a very nicely executed fake. Still he was the outside containment guy.

Spencer Johnson is a 285 pound tackle who continues to get pushed around and blown off the ball. In addition I was very pleased with how Derrick Jones played at DT. He's 6'4" and 315 pounds and showed excellent quickness off the ball. He got called for encroachment once but he's the big, physical body this team needs in the interior defensive line and combines his size with good athleticism. Williams is a block of granite but he's small, McCargo is small, and Johnson is very small. I'd keep Jones over Johnson for sure.

These are the three guys that I could see getting cut this camp that might raise some eyebrows.

Great post

I agree with your comments about Wendling. If it comes down to a numbers game with the corners and safeties I hope we keep Florence and Youbouty over Wendling.

I would keep an extra tight end or a WR over any FB. McIntyre rarely saw the field last year. With the exception of the Charger's can anyone name another potent offene that still uses the FB??? I would much rather see Parrish or Reed on the field in a 3 or 4 WR set than two TE and FB. We still couln't run the ball last year in a two TE set. Give me more cow bell and more wideouts!!!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic