Please count how many times T.O. / the Bills are on ESPN's NFL pag

SKOOBY

what gets me even more interested is that T.O. has HIS OWN little section on the NFL.com page. Every day in the top right corner, there is your T.O. news.

http://www.nfl.com/

LOL this is unreal. I would argue that he has somehow grown in popularity since being released by the Cowboys.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The media is already putting there own spin on To's comments about Vick and making more than it is. I saw the interview and they just pounded questions about Michael Vick at TO until they had enough "meat" to do thier hype thing.

I watched all the interviews that I could find of Blls players after practice and TO was the only one asked to comment on the Michael Vick situation. Why is that?

pounded? i think not. a reporter respectfully asked Owens a question, opening by saying something to the effect of, "with you being a high-profile voice in this league, what do you think of the Michael Vick situation?"

T.O. then respectfully answered the question.

he was then asked two follow up questions, after which the session ended.

nothing was pried out of T.O. and he certainly seemed ready and willing to discuss the subject.

jw

pounded? i think not. a reporter respectfully asked Owens a question, opening by saying something to the effect of, "with you being a high-profile voice in this league, what do you think of the Michael Vick situation?"

T.O. then respectfully answered the question.

he was then asked two follow up questions, after which the session ended.

nothing was pried out of T.O. and he certainly seemed ready and willing to discuss the subject.

jw

True, but now the article on nfl.com states "Owens also lobbied to have more..."

I wouldn't really consider answering a couple of questions as "lobbying" to have players support Vick. His comments do seem to be getting a little blown out of proportion, at least IMO.

True, but now the article on nfl.com states "Owens also lobbied to have more..."

I wouldn't really consider answering a couple of questions as "lobbying" to have players support Vick. His comments do seem to be getting a little blown out of proportion, at least IMO.

that's my piece. i used "lobbied" because it was an unprompted comment that came from T.O. directly to the initial question, which was very open-ended. as Owens got going, he actually said, "I think a lot of guys around the league need to speak up." perhaps, i could've used the word "urged." but he clearly went off on his own, expressing his opinion without anyone putting words in his mouth or trying to cause a commotion.

it was a simple q and a, and Owens understood exactly what he was saying.

jw

Guest dog14787

George Wilson, the team's NFLPA representative was moved into action by T.O.'s comments and he intended on having further discussions with T.O. and the rest of his teammates. So it does seem like the players, at least some of them anyway are rallying behind Michael Vick.

Did you get that one in the lower right?? How many other teams are mentioned on there?? Almost none. This is real scary, scary good.

Our team is being tracked thanks to signing one player, unreal.

It has more to do with the Bills being the only team on the field since Saturday.

The media is already putting there own spin on To's comments about Vick and making more than it is. I saw the interview and they just pounded questions about Michael Vick at TO until they had enough "meat" to do thier hype thing.

I watched all the interviews that I could find of Blls players after practice and TO was the only one asked to comment on the Michael Vick situation. Why is that?

That's exactly right. I pounded T.O. He didn't know what hit him. He's never encountered an interviewer like me. NEVER! He bowed to my furious questioning. And he'll do it again! He can't cope with a guy who has mastered interviewing Tim Connolly!

For the record, here's the verbatim transcript disseminated by the Bills PR department. I asked the last three questions, and he wasn't one bit annoyed. I dare say he was eager to get this off his chest. I never mentioned Roger Goodell's name, referenced dogfighting or the word "suspension."

John had it pretty much dead on. I asked "Since you're a voice people listen to in the NFL, what's your take on the Michael Vick situation?" T.O.'s a big boy. He could have said "It's a league matter and I'll leave it at that," or "I'd rather not comment." And then we would have thanked him for his time.

WIDE RECEIVER TERRELL OWENS

Training Camp AM Practice – July 26, 2009

On getting involved in a new offense

It’s coming along. Out here, we’ve made some connections and everyday is a work in progress. We’re just out here trying to get better. That’s what training camp is all about.

On how he will affect Lee Evans’ production on the field

I just try to bring my leadership as far as the things that I do in practice. That’s obviously working hard and trying to win for him. I think my tempo in practice is obviously rubbed off on some of the other guys. I’ve always been labeled as a hard worker so I do nothing different than I did in San Francisco, Philly or Dallas. I think everyone knows that I work hard and that’s part of my preparation for every practice and going into the games and throughout the season. I just try to lead by example.

On what he worked on with wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert after practice

Just different stuff. I’ve been in the game for awhile so every coach has their coaching style. Teaching different things as far as releases. Obviously there are some different routes. So anything that can be an advantage for me, with my size, and kind of mix up things from what I’ve done in the past to obviously make me a better receiver. Every coach that I’ve had, like I said, has a different coaching style, so I try to adopt and adjust to what they have, teaching me-wise.

On if he is still learning after 14 years in the NFL

Yeah, definitely. Coming here, obviously guys play different defenses. I’m in the AFC this year, so there are going to be some differences as far as coverages and how teams play me. So I’m just trying to gain whatever knowledge that I can about those coverages, about how they’re going to play me this year. Those guys are familiar with the way teams have played Lee the years he’s been here so I’m just trying to soak up everything that I can to become productive on the field.

On if he expects any differences playing in the AFC

No. I mean, once you get out there in between the lines it’s all about playing football and becoming a football player. Some things you kind of go with the flow and sometimes plays don’t happen as they’re designed. But being a football player and having that experience, you kind of make plays when there aren’t plays there.

On if it takes time to develop timing with a new quarterback

It’s more so with Trent (Edwards). Trying to gage my gate, how fast I am, what I do before I go in and out of breaks. It’s all about timing. I think that’s what the OTAs and the minicamps are for. We’ve gotten in rhythm and we’re definitely trying to get on the same page.

On his stance on the Michael Vick situation

I think it’s unfortunate. I think the way the commissioner has handled it, I think it’s unfair to Michael Vick. I think he’s done the time for what he’s done. I don’t think it’s really fair for him to be suspended four more games. That’s almost like kicking a dead horse in the ground. I think a lot of guys around the league need to speak up. I think the players union needs to step in because the guy’s already suffered so much. To add a four-game suspension on a two-year prison sentence, that’s ridiculous.

On if he thinks Vick will get a chance to sign with an NFL team

He should. Why shouldn’t he? There was a number of guys around the league that have done far more worse things than that and gotten second chances, so I don’t see why he shouldn’t.

On if he would ever want Michael Vick as a teammate

Well, why not? Again, Michael Vick is a guy that really hasn’t had any character issues besides that that he got a prison sentence for, so why not?

that's my piece. i used "lobbied" because it was an unprompted comment that came from T.O. directly to the initial question, which was very open-ended. as Owens got going, he actually said, "I think a lot of guys around the league need to speak up." perhaps, i could've used the word "urged." but he clearly went off on his own, expressing his opinion without anyone putting words in his mouth or trying to cause a commotion.

it was a simple q and a, and Owens understood exactly what he was saying.

jw

Gotcha. One thing I think we can all agree on is Owens never seems to have trouble going off on his own and causing a commotion. :beer: I didn't think this article was grossly over the top, but in watching his Q and A on bb.com, I didn't get the impression that he was making that big of a deal about it. Just answering a few questions. Of course, having TO comment on Vick is bound to generate some hype. Hence, the Florio article, the lead ins on NFL network, and lord only knows where else by now.

Didn't realize that was your article, although I guess in thinking about it, I should have. I will say, I did appreciate the added information about Wilson. Its really nice to see quality Bills coverage.

Guest dog14787
It has more to do with the Bills being the only team on the field since Saturday.

:beer: That's why you get paid the big bucks Tim

That's exactly right. I pounded T.O. He didn't know what hit him. He's never encountered an interviewer like me. NEVER! He bowed to my furious questioning. And he'll do it again! He can't cope ...

I don't typically blow bandwidth just to tell someone they're funny. But, that was friggin hilarious. I really did LOL.

Tim, this op-ed from Ed Kilgore might interest you:

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?...952&catid=4

Personally, I agree with T.O. that as horrible and grotesque as Vick's crimes were, he has done his time, and will continue to do community service work and hopefully even help shed a different light on the dog-fighting culture he grew up thinking was a routine way of life.

But T.O. took it another step, when he said "Vick has suffered enough". Owens even took it another stop off camera when he told an ESPN reporter "Goodell should spend 23 months in prison", to see what it's like.

Hmmm. Doesn't look like that made it onto the quote sheet.

Guest dog14787
That's exactly right. I pounded T.O. He didn't know what hit him. He's never encountered an interviewer like me. NEVER! He bowed to my furious questioning. And he'll do it again! He can't cope with a guy who has mastered interviewing Tim Connolly!

For the record, here's the verbatim transcript disseminated by the Bills PR department. I asked the last three questions, and wasn't one bit annoyed. I dare say he was eager to get this off his chest. I never mentioned Roger Goodell's name, referenced dogfighting or the word "suspension."

John had it pretty much dead on. I asked "Since you're a voice people listen to in the NFL, what's your take on the Michael Vick situation?" T.O.'s a big boy. He could have said "It's a league matter and I'll leave it at that," or "I'd rather not comment." And then we would have thanked him for his time.

It’s coming along. Out here, we’ve made some connections and everyday is a work in progress. We’re just out here trying to get better. That’s what training camp is all about.

I just try to bring my leadership as far as the things that I do in practice. That’s obviously working hard and trying to win for him. I think my tempo in practice is obviously rubbed off on some of the other guys. I’ve always been labeled as a hard worker so I do nothing different than I did in San Francisco, Philly or Dallas. I think everyone knows that I work hard and that’s part of my preparation for every practice and going into the games and throughout the season. I just try to lead by example.

Just different stuff. I’ve been in the game for awhile so every coach has their coaching style. Teaching different things as far as releases. Obviously there are some different routes. So anything that can be an advantage for me, with my size, and kind of mix up things from what I’ve done in the past to obviously make me a better receiver. Every coach that I’ve had, like I said, has a different coaching style, so I try to adopt and adjust to what they have, teaching me-wise.

Yeah, definitely. Coming here, obviously guys play different defenses. I’m in the AFC this year, so there are going to be some differences as far as coverages and how teams play me. So I’m just trying to gain whatever knowledge that I can about those coverages, about how they’re going to play me this year. Those guys are familiar with the way teams have played Lee the years he’s been here so I’m just trying to soak up everything that I can to become productive on the field.

No. I mean, once you get out there in between the lines it’s all about playing football and becoming a football player. Some things you kind of go with the flow and sometimes plays don’t happen as they’re designed. But being a football player and having that experience, you kind of make plays when there aren’t plays there.

It’s more so with Trent (Edwards). Trying to gage my gate, how fast I am, what I do before I go in and out of breaks. It’s all about timing. I think that’s what the OTAs and the minicamps are for. We’ve gotten in rhythm and we’re definitely trying to get on the same page.

I think it’s unfortunate. I think the way the commissioner has handled it, I think it’s unfair to Michael Vick. I think he’s done the time for what he’s done. I don’t think it’s really fair for him to be suspended four more games. That’s almost like kicking a dead horse in the ground. I think a lot of guys around the league need to speak up. I think the players union needs to step in because the guy’s already suffered so much. To add a four-game suspension on a two-year prison sentence, that’s ridiculous.

He should. Why shouldn’t he? There was a number of guys around the league that have done far more worse things than that and gotten second chances, so I don’t see why he shouldn’t.

Well, why not? Again, Michael Vick is a guy that really hasn’t had any character issues besides that that he got a prison sentence for, so why not?

Great stuff :beer:

:beer:

For the record, here's the verbatim transcript disseminated by the Bills PR department. I asked the last three questions, and wasn't one bit annoyed. I dare say he was eager to get this off his chest. I never mentioned Roger Goodell's name, referenced dogfighting or the word "suspension."

Tim, this op-ed from Ed Kilgore might interest you:

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?...952&catid=4

Hmmm. Doesn't look like that made it onto the quote sheet.

The quote to an ESPN reporter was TV guy George Smith, who also was there today and spoke with T.O. off camera for about a minute when the news conference was over. Smith mentions this exchange on the video report that can be found on my blog.

The quote to an ESPN reporter was TV guy George Smith, who also was there today and spoke with T.O. off camera for about a minute when the news conference was over. Smith mentions this exchange on the video report that can be found on my blog.

This one (shameless plug)?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-9-52/...nstatement.html

Bet the commish will like that when he hears about it ...

Add: And George looks ... warm. Aren't you glad he was there to wear the suit and tie for that standup? :beer:

Gotcha. One thing I think we can all agree on is Owens never seems to have trouble going off on his own and causing a commotion. :beer: I didn't think this article was grossly over the top, but in watching his Q and A on bb.com, I didn't get the impression that he was making that big of a deal about it. Just answering a few questions. Of course, having TO comment on Vick is bound to generate some hype. Hence, the Florio article, the lead ins on NFL network, and lord only knows where else by now.

Didn't realize that was your article, although I guess in thinking about it, I should have. I will say, I did appreciate the added information about Wilson. Its really nice to see quality Bills coverage.

here's the thing about Owens. the reason he causes "a commotion" is because he, for the most part, says what he feels. it's somewhat unfiltered -- or at least more unfiltered than the polite "we give 110 percent" comments that many athletes provide us. and the fact that T.O. feels comfortable providing his opinions no matter the implications is why he sometimes gets himself into trouble and what makes him sound different than other athletes.

Charles Barkley, whom i encountered several times covering the NBA in Vancouver, was much the same way.

fans and detractors, specifically, refer to these types of athletes as blowhards. perhaps. but they're actually saying something of substance, which in this day and age of P.R. people, lawyers and press releases, it's a breath of fresh air.

jw

oh, and Tim, i didn't think it was my place to say who asked the questions. and as i told you over lunch, i'm glad you did. thanks.