Brain Dead

vegas55

:D I loved the win yesterday but parity is such in the NFL that no successful team can continually have its coaching staff make horrible strategic decisions. Yesterday was another example. Forget the end of the first half, the defensive call near the end of the game was unbelievable in its sheer studity. Bills up 22 - 10, less than 5 minutes to go, Jets have the ball with zero time outs. The ONLY logical strategy is a two deep, bend but dont break defense forcing the Jets to dink and dunk, using virtually all the time on the clock just to get within 5. In fact, the only chance the Jets had in that situation was a quick strike TD. So what does the Bills brain trust do? All out blitz, including the safety, leaving Mcghee one on one with Santana Moss, one of the fastest players in the NFL. Brilliant!! So now the Bills were forced to complete a prayer to Evans, long down the sideline, just to keep the ball out of the Jets hands with only a 5 point lead. Thankfully the prayer was answered. No way, given how the Bills dominated yesterday, should they have been put in that position. We have lost plenty of games like that in the past, including several this year. Coaching staff please, you are there to facilitate, not sabotage, your teams efforts.

And of course, the astute WNY media asked not one question about this complete coaching lapse.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

Agree Vegas. With those winds it would have been tough enough and I highly doubt Carter is bringing them downfield. The Jets only chance was a fluke play, something like single coverage and a d-back falling down, to have any chance.

Well, we lost the first couple of games because the D switched from the blitz-heavy aggresive D to the "safer" more conservative "prevent" type D.  Works both ways...

107700[/snapback]

Dan, I'm guessing by the username vegas55 that someone lost $$ on that play.

Guest BackInDaDay
:D I loved the win yesterday but parity is such in the NFL that no successful team can continually have its coaching staff make horrible strategic decisions. Yesterday was another example. Forget the end of the first half, the defensive call near the end of the game was unbelievable in its sheer studity. Bills up 22 - 10, less than 5 minutes to go, Jets have the ball with zero time outs. The ONLY logical strategy is a two deep, bend but dont break defense forcing the Jets to dink and dunk, using  virtually all the time on the clock just to get within 5. In fact, the only chance the Jets had in that situation was a quick strike TD. So what does the Bills brain trust do? All out blitz, including the safety, leaving Mcghee one on one with Santana Moss, one of the fastest players in the NFL. Brilliant!! So now the Bills were forced to complete a prayer to Evans, long down the sideline, just to keep the ball out of the Jets hands with only a 5 point lead. Thankfully the prayer was answered. No way, given how the Bills dominated yesterday, should they have been put in that position. We have lost plenty of games like that in the past, including several this year. Coaching staff please, you are there to facilitate, not sabotage, your teams efforts.

And of course, the astute WNY media asked not one question about this complete coaching lapse.

107651[/snapback]

Good point, I was thinking the same thing.

There were more than a couple brain-farts by the coaches yesterday, but the good news is, our play-makers made plays and took the game from the Jets. DB's 1st down run, the forced fumble, Milloy's pick, McGahee's 12yrd TD, Kelsay's plays on the end, Williams push on the safety,etc... :lol:

I'll give them a break on the late TD, because NY really rushed to the line and our defense improvised. Milloy took it upon himself to blitz because he was so out of position to begin with. Unfortunately Reese came too.....if you look at the setup though, it was a cluster-f because they were rushed.

I will admit however that at the end of the first half, I booed the Bills for the first time in my life. That drive showed just how weak in the knees this team still is. If you charted all of our plays coming out of a timeout this year, I believe we are actually in the negative yardage range.

If you overcoach Drew...he turns into a robot.

I guess the best thing about being a second-guessing fan is that you can always be right. If Carter had marched them down the field while we played a prevent, the screaming and gnashing would be heard from Fredonia to Cheektowaga.

"How could Mularkey not blitz? This was the same way we lost the first game to the Jets. We had been attacking all half and they had minus yards. Why start playing safe? We are playing not to lose instead of trying to win? "

Or how about in the first half if we tried one more play without a time out and Bledsoe slipped and time ran out without putting points on the board

"How can that idiot Mularkey try one more play without a time out? We needed to tie that game up at half time. You have to take the field goal. Once we wasted our time outs we had to play for the tie. What a fuggin moron."

Sound familiar

Well, we lost the first couple of games because the D switched from the blitz-heavy aggresive D to the "safer" more conservative "prevent" type D.  Works both ways...

107700[/snapback]

"Safe" is what lost the game at the Meadowlands.

If the mega-blitz sacked Carter, people would be saying what terrific coaching!

I agree that main problem was McGee alone on Santana Moss! :D

A great day to be at the Ralph.

If you charted all of our plays coming out of a timeout this year, I believe we are actually in the negative yardage range.

I often wonder about that too. The few times we've been on a drive with a "no huddle" we are gaining yards and then we stop to take a time out. The next play is usually garbage. Could it be that the team loses its momentum at that time and gives the opposing team's defense a chance to re-group?