Dick LeBeau

....and, didn't he run for over 90 yards in that SB win with the Pats? I could be wrong, but I think he had a nice solid game.

IIRC, he broke a long one (not 90 yards but still) against us in that OT game that sealed the game in favor of the Patriots, Vinatieri closed the deal with a FG. That's the game where Brown was laying unconcious after a Carpenter hit near the sidelines, where the refs ruled that it wasn't a fumble. Then the Patsies went to win the division.

Smith was very important that year for them, though I can't remember if he broke a 90 yard run in the SB.

This is one personnel move that I do NOT blame on Donahoe. In fact, he pretty much forced Gregg to hire LeBeau as an "advisor". Not to defend Gray, but the defense was pretty good in 2004 too, the year LeBeau went to Pittsburgh. It's funny how a roster that includes the likes of a healthy TKO, Fletcher in his prime, a productive Schobel, Sam Adams, Big Pat, Nate Clements, etc. can make a DC look pretty good, huh? Swap Ellison out with the 2003/2004 version of TKO and replace Kyle Williams with Pat Williams, and how good do you think the 2009 defense could be?