NFLPA settles lawsuit filed by retired players

Lori

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...ach-settlement/

By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer

(AP) — Hall of Fame cornerback Herb Adderley is encouraged that the NFL Players Association has taken “an historic first step” in reconciling its long-standing rift with the old guard by settling a lawsuit with its retired players on Thursday.

In a surprise move, the NFLPA reversed course by dropping its appeal and reaching a $26.25 million settlement with Adderley and thousands of other retired players who had successfully sued the union for cutting them out of lucrative marketing deals.

“I’m elated that this thing is coming to a close,” Adderley told The Associated Press. “It’s a great feeling and I’m happy to be a small part of it.”

Nice work, John. There's still much more to be done, but so far, I think DeMaurice Smith is walking the walk (instead of threatening Hall of Famers, as the late Gene Upshaw was wont to do).

Hopefully the players who need it actually see most of this money, and it's not just divided among lawyers as is too often the case. I read somewhere that part of their complaint stemmed from the fact that the union had not actively marketed retired players in media such as video games; I hope this means that I'll soon be able to sack Phil Simms (or Jeff Hostetler) as Smith, Bennett, Talley, or Conlan.

It is always good to hear the older players getting a win now and again. I can’t tell you how many times the older players have talked to me about paltry benefits and needing assistance. Let’s hope Smith continues to spend time fixing things for the older players.