Chris Berman's Cab Driver

DDD

I've wondered how Chris Berman always knows who the Bills will select in the 1st round of the NFL draft every year. To my recollection, he first started to use the "a cab driver in Buffalo told me" reference the year we drafted Reuben Brown. Well, with Chris Berman being selected by Ralph Wilson to be his presenter, the identity of the cab driver has been officially revealed. It's none other than Ralph Wilson. And that my friends is a rock solid source.

I've wondered how Chris Berman always knows who the Bills will select in the 1st round of the NFL draft every year. To my recollection, he first started to use the "a cab driver in Buffalo told me" reference the year we drafted Reuben Brown. Well, with Chris Berman being selected by Ralph Wilson to be his presenter, the identity of the cab driver has been officially revealed. It's none other than Ralph Wilson. And that my friends is a rock solid source.

Oh sweet Christ. Something tells me you'll regret using the word "official." :lol:

Bingo!

Aside from the fact that Berman revealed it was Butler, you might be on to something....

Yes, because John Butler (RIP) clearly told Berman the Bills would select Aaron Maybin. Butler's presence (RIP) would certainly explain the ESPN crew showing Maybin smiling on the phone before the Bills were officially on the clock during San Fran's selection of Michael Crabtree.

Yes, because John Butler (RIP) clearly told Berman the Bills would select Aaron Maybin. Butler's presence (RIP) would certainly explain the ESPN crew showing Maybin smiling on the phone before the Bills were officially on the clock during San Fran's selection of Michael Crabtree.

ESPN had a crew on Maybin. They could SEE he was smiling when the Bills were on the clock. They didn't need to be told.

Then what would explain the cab driver's sudden disappearance when TD was running the show?

Quote Fixed GG

Dude, they have cameras on lots of players, and they cut to them when they get a call. If you won't take our word for it, maybe you'll take Tim Graham's? Not that Berman didn't have Ralph's number, but he did identify the cab driver as Butler.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-8-3...-in-Canton.html

Dude, they have cameras on lots of players, and they cut to them when they get a call. If you won't take our word for it, maybe you'll take Tim Graham's? Not that Berman didn't have Ralph's number, but he did identify the cab driver as Butler.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-8-3...-in-Canton.html

??? :lol:

Are you sure you're replying to me?

Here's a big hint. Berman was quoted in the San Diego Union-Tribune on Butler's passing:

ESPN commentator Chris Berman cited how helpful Butler had been to him through his draft analyses. "We have lost a big man, but he made us all a lot bigger. I don't know how many people you can say that about," Berman said.

And I never heard it myself while watching drafts, but another San Diego U-T story I recently today noted how Berman's cabbie had tipped him off to Chargers picks after Butler left Buffalo.

I just went back and dug around a little more.

From a 2003 Seattle Times story about Seahawks GM Bob Ferguson:

A couple of days after Butler died, Ferguson got a call from Chris Berman, the ESPN draft host who also was a friend to both. In fact, Berman and Butler were so close that Butler sometimes used to tell the announcer in advance who he was going to pick.

"Chris said he talked to him a week before he died, and he was really at peace with things," Ferguson said. "He told John there was a draft coming up. And (Berman) said Big John said, `I'm not sure I'm going to make this one.' "

It has been quite a few years since the last Cabbie bit...