Defensive primer

Thanks for the great link. If you didnt play football, its tough to pick this stuff up.

I find it comical that defensive coordinators claim to be 3-4 or 4-3 gurus, when all forms of these defenses are completely known to all players and coaches.

I find it comical that defensive coordinators claim to be 3-4 or 4-3 gurus, when all forms of these defenses are completely known to all players and coaches.

Yeah - I think great coaching is less about great schemes than it is about great playcalling. It's knowing when to blitz, not developing a new kind of blitz. It's the chess game that counts, except in very rare cases where a wholly new scheme is invented and laps the league before people can catch up.

That all being said, reading this over, I really like the zone blitz, and I think we could make more use of it as a complementary scheme to the Tampa-2, since it would take advantage of our smaller, speedier DLs dropping into coverage.

Yeah - I think great coaching is less about great schemes than it is about great playcalling. It's knowing when to blitz, not developing a new kind of blitz. It's the chess game that counts, except in very rare cases where a wholly new scheme is invented and laps the league before people can catch up.

That all being said, reading this over, I really like the zone blitz, and I think we could make more use of it as a complementary scheme to the Tampa-2, since it would take advantage of our smaller, speedier DLs dropping into coverage.

Well Perry Fewell has been tinkering around with the blitzing schemes the past few seasons, since apparently, our DE's can't get anything done. I actually think he's done a good job getting the most out of the pass rush, considering kelsay is still on the team.

Does anyone remember if he's ever had us use a zone blitz before? I kinda vaguely remember a few instances of it, but obviously not as a main scheme.

Nah, its just having the right people in the right place!

Well Perry Fewell has been tinkering around with the blitzing schemes the past few seasons, since apparently, our DE's can't get anything done. I actually think he's done a good job getting the most out of the pass rush, considering kelsay is still on the team.

Does anyone remember if he's ever had us use a zone blitz before? I kinda vaguely remember a few instances of it, but obviously not as a main scheme.

Not sure, but I do recall seeing our DE's trying to cover backs and TE's 10-15 yards down field, that didn't work very well.

Not sure, but I do recall seeing our DE's trying to cover backs and TE's 10-15 yards down field, that didn't work very well.

I remember DE Ryan Denney streaking towards the endzone with a pass from Brian Moorman on its way.

When you look a the Tampa style (Kiffin/Dungy) defenses, there are a number of times when they will use zone blitzes, particularly up the gut and into the line of sight of the qb. Just remember, a Tampa 2 team is rarely in that defensive call more than 15-25% (down from a 1/3) of a time during a game. We, for instance use a ton of cover 4 and cover 3.

There is a mention about Fewell running the 1-5 Creep defense on some passing downs - it appears to be an unusually innovative scheme, though I don't know how effective it really is. But the bottom line really seems to be that the more you can throw different looks at an offense, the better you are. There's only so far you can get specializing in any form.

If anybody watched Dollhouse (given the ratings, unlikely), Bill Belichick is the Alpha of NFL coaches.

But the bottom line really seems to be that the more you can throw different looks at an offense, the better you are. There's only so far you can get specializing in any form.

If anybody watched Dollhouse (given the ratings, unlikely), Bill Belichick is the Alpha of NFL coaches.

Agree wholeheartedly. Like the article said, you can't really prepare for a team that can throw any and every look at you, in any scheme imaginable.

Talk of the zone blitz reminded me of Dick LeBeau - Fewell's done a nice job, but I wish we could have convinced LeBeau to stick with us for a while longer! Bills did try, but Dick picked Pitt....

After one of the rare occasions that Sapp got close enough to sniff Carr (or any quarterback in 2004) and began sniping at the young quarterback's ability to read defenses, Carr apparently snapped back, "You need to be a 3-technique." Translation: "I'm not scared of you as a defensive end." Carr, who will never be mistaken for Brett Favre, voiced what Sapp already knew. Even the subtlest difference in alignment and responsibility can make a huge difference in a player's production. Sapp's new role was significantly different. His Pro Bowl numbers (and ability to effectively intimidate) were paying a heavy price.

We have been trying to make the Cover Two work for so long, I think we still dont have the players to make it effective. Which makes me think its too hard to find enough players to fit the system.

We have been trying to make the Cover Two work for so long, I think we still dont have the players to make it effective. Which makes me think its too hard to find enough players to fit the system.

I don't think we can scheme our way out of trouble here: The problem is that we have remarkably little talent to work with: Schobel and Stroud are good players, but neither is really a consistent defensive star. Then next to them, you have two roleplayers in Kelsay and Williams, a group of solid if unspectacular LBs, and a good secondary. No matter how you scheme it, it's going to give you average results.

And let's not forget that in the front 7, the only viable depth player is Ryan Denney. Ouch.

Breaks down the 4-3, Tampa-2, 3-4, 46, zone blitz, and all the rest.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2009/0...el_idpguide.php

It's LONG, but thorough, and completely worth reading through to get a handle on what the hell everybody's doing out there.

I didn't read it but I notice that you left out Jauron's version of the cover 2, the Poontang-2.