Obama-Wan getting tested?

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/...test/index.html

He's in a tough spot. Anyone would be. Announcing concordance with the UN is nice political cover, and letting/encouraging S. Korea to follow in lockstep re hunting SK ships on the high seas is dumb. No disagreement about whacking such, but keep your public trap shut about such, and leave it to the Silent Service...

Here are a couple of caustic opinions about Obama and his depth of understanding of international affairs, calling him a sap easily taken advantage of...take it for what they are worth. Such commentary always comes with the territory, eh?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/gerald_warner...ey_on_the_block

and

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/gerald_warner...merica_so_badly

On Foreign Affairs, Obama has a stunted view of what's going on. And that's no suprise - he, like our last two presidents, came into office with no foreign policy experience. The difference, I think, is that he has not come in with an open mind. He knows the questions, and he knows the answers.

So by stunted, I mean his take on issues and priorities seems stuck somewhere in the 1980's.

- To Obama, keeping the world safe from WMD is about getting a new agreement with Russia on stockpiles. (North Korea? Never heard of it!)

- To Obama, solving the current crisis in the Middle-East is about resolving the Palestinian problem. (Hello, nuclear Iran!)

- To Obama, South Asia is centered again on our quasi-ally Pakistan. (Sorry India, you can forget about the relationship of equals that has been developing over the past 8 years. Kashmir is no longer your issue, it is our bargaining chip with Pakistan. We'll call you if we want you.)

- To Obama, promoting fair free trade is about reciprocity of unions. (Who cares about currency manipulation or government subsidies?)

Why does the US have to solve all of the world's problems? Seems like the nuclear tests will affect China and Russia more than us. Let them handle it. About time NK got its ass kicked, but we're a little busy with 2 other wars.

I agree, let them handle it.

But I think you are kidding yourself if you think there will be any ass-kicking. North Korea has the capability of leveling South Korea in the hours before its military would collapse - the amount of artillery that is trained on Seoul alone is mind-boggleing. The disruptive effect of the sudden destruction of South Korea's industry on the world economy would be catastrophic.

That's why Clinton didn't bomb the facilities when their program was close to finishing - they already held the world hostage at that point.

- To Obama, promoting fair free trade is about reciprocity of unions. (Who cares about currency manipulation or government subsidies?)

Sadly, even free-traders on the right side don't see the danger in that too. People don't understand currency manipulation, but soon enough they will.

Sadly, even free-traders on the right side don't see the danger in that too. People don't understand currency manipulation, but soon enough they will.

Free trade? :blink:

Sadly, The Obama crowd and the Liberal crowd here haven't yet rang in with opinions on this this rather important issue...

Why is this an issue, I thought Bush's tough "Axis of Evil" talk and allowing other countries to negotiate for us eliminated nuclear weapons in North Korea. Guess not. Now the genie's out of the bottle.

Get the broom Obama, another mess to clean up on aisle 4.

Why is this an issue, I thought Bush's tough "Axis of Evil" talk and allowing other countries to negotiate for us eliminated nuclear weapons in North Korea. Guess not. Now the genie's out of the bottle.

Get the broom Obama, another mess to clean up on aisle 4.

If you know of any proposals put forward by Japan, South Korea, China, or Russia, or even simply negotiations on nuclear disarmament led by them, I'd be very interested. They didn't negotiate for us, and we didn't ask them to. Indeed, it the practice of the past 15 years that North Korea won't sit down and discuss the topic unless it is with us, and unless it follows new concessions. And that's how the Bush administration handled it. Hillary Clinton's own testimony to Congress underscores this point - the only difference now is that they've lost interest in the further discussions because of (presumably) domestic concerns.

Despite the meme about it always going it alone, the Bush administration took remarkably different approaches with each crisis.

Iraq - go it alone.

Iran - support international negotiations but stay out lest the US be a distraction.

North Korea - lead the international negotiations and put relations with and concessions from the US out in front.

Obama apparently has some magical more enlightened approach to negotiation (presumably involving Change). I can't wait to see it in action.

If you know of any proposals put forward by Japan, South Korea, China, or Russia, or even simply negotiations on nuclear disarmament led by them, I'd be very interested. They didn't negotiate for us, and we didn't ask them to. Indeed, it the practice of the past 15 years that North Korea won't sit down and discuss the topic unless it is with us, and unless it follows new concessions. And that's how the Bush administration handled it. Hillary Clinton's own testimony to Congress underscores this point - the only difference now is that they've lost interest in the further discussions because of (presumably) domestic concerns.

Despite the meme about it always going it alone, the Bush administration took remarkably different approaches with each crisis.

Iraq - go it alone.

Iran - support international negotiations but stay out lest the US be a distraction.

North Korea - lead the international negotiations and put relations with and concessions from the US out in front.

Obama apparently has some magical more enlightened approach to negotiation (presumably involving Change). I can't wait to see it in action.

Please provide us your course of public and private action over the past two days and go forward for the next six months, year, etc. I'm sure we'd all be interested.

Please provide us your course of public and private action over the past two days and go forward for the next six months, year, etc. I'm sure we'd all be interested.

Those are silly words, Max. The poster certainly can't solve a problem that has vexed folks all over the globe, for decades and decades. Don't toss up straw men...this Administration has a disturbing trend of doing so already, on most any topic.

The fear that I have, is that this President will fall into the trap of unilateral talks. I sure hope not

Why does the US have to solve all of the world's problems? Seems like the nuclear tests will affect China and Russia more than us. Let them handle it. About time NK got its ass kicked, but we're a little busy with 2 other wars.

Except they are testing missles that can reach Alaska, Hawaii and California to teach us a lesson if we want to get involved in their expansion into SK and Japan. They have directly threatened the US, which is why it is our business and now they are getting closer to having the capability to do so.

But I'm sure Obama will talk real nice, send him and ipod and a dozen Pro V1's and all will be okay.

Those are silly words, Max. The poster certainly can't solve a problem that has vexed folks all over the globe, for decades and decades. Don't toss up straw men...this Administration has a disturbing trend of doing so already, on most any topic.

The fear that I have, is that this President will fall into the trap of unilateral talks. I sure hope not

"Strawman?" So I guess jumping all over his sh-- without an once of substance is a productive? Thanks for the enlightening policy debate.

Here are the options:

1.) Assassinate Kim and his sons

2.) Start a CIA funded coup.

3.) Make China withdraw all food imports to NK, forcing their people to revolt or starve.

4.) Bomb the sh-- out of them.

All four sound good to me.

Here are the options:

1.) Assassinate Kim and his sons

2.) Start a CIA funded coup.

3.) Make China withdraw all food imports to NK, forcing their people to revolt or starve.

4.) Bomb the sh-- out of them.

All four sound good to me.

1. Yeah because we Americans will blend in so well and can get real close to the party HQ.

2. What are you going to fund? Where are you going to find the people to do the coup and know that you can control, now with nukes in the picture?

3. Yeah I am sure they'll listen considering the 1.7 trillion dollars of debt they just bought of ours in the last 3 months.

4. Yeah China will let that happen? And who/what are you going to bomb? Remember they have nukes, they have missles that can hit Japan, China, Russia, South Korea, Phillippines, etc... I am sure theyd love KJI just playing launch the missles in every direction with God know what as warheads.

Okay, you saved Hawaii. But your arguments for Alaska and California are weak, and to which I retort: Sarah Palin and Nancy Pelosi

Wow, you have a good point.

Of course Hawaii has Inuye,Akaka and Abercrombie. Not to mention Lingle as governer. Talk about some good old tax the living crap out of everybody politicians.

Alaska, also has a good percent of gun owners, and dungeness craps as well. California, well outside of wine, I have a hard time coming up with something. Fruits, but I am sure that's part of why you want them bombed. :blink:

Wow, you have a good point.

Of course Hawaii has Inuye,Akaka and Abercrombie. Not to mention Lingle as governer. Talk about some good old tax the living crap out of everybody politicians.

Alaska, also has a good percent of gun owners, and dungeness craps as well. California, well outside of wine, I have a hard time coming up with something. Fruits, but I am sure that's part of why you want them bombed. :blink:

Wrong again

My target is all the hippies