digital camera questions

Couple of things:

$150-175 should get you eight to 10 megapixels. To compare, 35mm film converts at roughly 20-25, but that level of resolution would make for massive, hard-drive-eating file sizes. As long as you're not planning on poster-size prints, 8-10 will be just fine.

When looking at zooms, you want the one with the better optical -- as opposed to digital -- zoom. My current digicam, a four-year-old Kodak Z700, has a 5x optical zoom which allegedly gives me the equivalent of a 35-175mm lens. I wouldn't dream of shooting sports with it, but it's more than adequate for everyday use. Digital zooms tend to get grainy in a hurry.

I went with a Kodak this time for two reasons: I liked the features it gave me at a reasonable price, and I was pissed at Canon, my normal brand of choice.

(San Antonio, October 2005: Shortly before heading to the Alamo with friends, I pull my two-month-old Powershot out of its case, turn it on to check the battery ... and get something that looks like the infamous Windows Blue Screen of Death. Turns out, it's even worse. Check http://www.e18error.com for more info on that. Dunno, maybe they've gotten past that problem by now -- but the Kodak has made two cross-country flights in my luggage without complaint, so I'll stick with it.)

I can't guarantee this, but I have to assume that just about anything priced over $100 will come with a USB cable. I wouldn't buy one without it; beats messing with a card reader. The cards do come in handy if you'd rather have your photos printed somewhere than do it yourself, though.

Of course, you'll want to double-check compatibility with a Mac before you buy. (Surprised me to discover that my digital recorder is PC-only.) Another reason to like my Kodak: you go through batteries pretty quick, and this one uses AAs instead of something proprietary. I always carry an extra set of rechargeables with me when I'm using it, same for the recorder.

Those are my own thoughts, but there's already a ton of good advice upthread.

And, by the by, there's absolutely nothing wrong with admiring the work of HST.

don't know if this board is ready for the opinions of a canadian-born sports writer who's read one too many -- or perhaps three two few -- hunter s. thompson screeds in his life and has a certain fascination for watching certain night-time politico hosts on two certain cable networks, as well as the very funny jon stewart.

though your offer's tempting, i shall however respectfully decline invitation to jump into those waters because of numerous professional concerns in regards to the perception of bias and objectivity. i hope you understand.

---

jw

Please dont take this wrong, and I'm not being sarcastic. I've never heard of you. I did google you, though. Read a few things. Hell you may have found a fan, not sure yet. I'll let you know. I hope you understand. <_<

etr

Please dont take this wrong, and I'm not being sarcastic. I've never heard of you. I did google you, though. Read a few things. Hell you may have found a fan, not sure yet. I'll let you know. I hope you understand. <_<

etr

Ah, the slings and arrows of being an AP writer, when many papers choose not to run a byline on wire copy. (Eryn's dad, if you've read any AP stories on the Bills with a Buffalo or Orchard Park dateline in the last 10 years or so, you've read the work of Mr. Wawrow.)

Ah, the slings and arrows of being an AP writer, when many papers choose not to run a byline on wire copy. (Eryn's dad, if you've read any AP stories on the Bills with a Buffalo or Orchard Park dateline in the last 10 years or so, you've read the work of Mr. Wawrow.)

Thanks for the slap upside me head, girl <_< . I probably deserved it, though, I really don't read who write all the articles about the Bills. I'd hope that you'd agree that sports writers show their bias quite often, with that being said, I'm a cynical obnoxious partisan Bills fan bastard that doesn't believe half the shiit they write anyway, as you may be aware of, ahem. :lol:

As I said in my other post, he may have found a fan.

I hope you understand. :lol:

edit: I just re-read what I wrote. Holy comma man, batman. Sorry

No slap intended, slappy. Everyone recognizes Sully, for example, because they see his name and mugshot at the top of his columns. John gets an anonymous "BUFFALO (AP)" tag on most of his stories, unless the SE at a newspaper or Web site is courteous enough to add a byline.

So unless you're truly a newspaper geek, I wouldn't expect you to know the names of most of the AP's NFL beat writers.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks to all for their suggestions and help.

the search was completed this week ... and had to alter the budget a little bit after some crackhead weasels broke into our house and took our tv and dvd player. surprisingly, things could have been worse as not a cd or ipod or much of anything else that my wife and i can see was touched.

that said, had to go a bit on the cheap on the camera, so went with the nikon coolpix, with the AA batteries and not lithium, which was what many had recommended to begin with. got it for $129 at a local department store, which was worth it because it allowed me to buy the replacement tv that i wanted at a very significant discount, which resulted in essentially getting the camera for free.

not a bad deal considering.

have briefly tested out the coolpix and like what i see so far. very user friendly and a pretty sturdy little camera, which just might come in handy in a barfight, which should satisfy stuckincincy's suggestion. ... :lol:

thanks all.

jw

thanks to all for their suggestions and help.

the search was completed this week ... and had to alter the budget a little bit after some crackhead weasels broke into our house and took our tv and dvd player. surprisingly, things could have been worse as not a cd or ipod or much of anything else that my wife and i can see was touched.

that said, had to go a bit on the cheap on the camera, so went with the nikon coolpix, with the AA batteries and not lithium, which was what many had recommended to begin with. got it for $129 at a local department store, which was worth it because it allowed me to buy the replacement tv that i wanted at a very significant discount, which resulted in essentially getting the camera for free.

not a bad deal considering.

have briefly tested out the coolpix and like what i see so far. very user friendly and a pretty sturdy little camera, which just might come in handy in a barfight, which should satisfy stuckincincy's suggestion. ... :wallbash:

thanks all.

jw

Nice camera - I checked into it when I was shopping around. Looks like you worked a good deal what with the tv discount.

We'll be expecting exclusive photos when you and T.O. go bar-hopping, John. :wallbash:

And I think I already commented about the bastids who robbed your place, but may they get double the bad karma that's coming to them.

We'll be expecting exclusive photos when you and T.O. go bar-hopping, John. :lol:

And I think I already commented about the bastids who robbed your place, but may they get double the bad karma that's coming to them.

if the bars hopped are the swannie house or big tree, then i'm in.

if it's the chip strip, well, i think there's some kind of rule at most places barring pasty old white guys, who listen to influential but failed 80s bands, etc. etc. ...

jw

if the bars hopped are the swannie house or big tree, then i'm in.

if it's the chip strip, well, i think there's some kind of rule at most places barring pasty old white guys, who listen to influential but failed 80s bands, etc. etc. ...

jw

All in the cause of journalism, my good man. I figured that would be one of the next episodes of the VH1 show, with The Associated Press invited along for the ride.