Defense

I have noticed a trend over the past few season's concerning our team and it's productivity. Our defense always seems to come out and play stellar except a few occasions and they force a punt or a turnover and then our offense will go out. A lot of the times they will be out for like a minute or 2 and go 3 and out. I honestly feel our defense is great and i know you can say pass rushing and stuff like that. But honestly i always felt that if it wasn;t for the way our defense played the games would have been a lot more like those prime time games against the patriots where we are losing so bad brady gets to sit out the entire second half. I think that if ou offense can come out and do the job this year our defense is gonna be one of the best.

I have to disagree with your post. After watching every snap last year, I think the team has the perfect blend of offense and defense. The defense is downright offensive and they have no defense for the offense. I can only watch so much of a poorly executed, flawed scheme. It only takes a few missed tackles and I'm anxious to get the offense back out on the field, to show what they can't do. A few checkdowns for no gain later, and I'm yearning for eight yard cushions again. Once the opponent scores, I am all giddy with the prospect of Lynch dancing his way to a 1 yard gain. On third and long Trent finds a well covered Fred Jackson five yards behind the LOS. The clock runs out as Jauron saves two timeouts for the second half.

A few checkdowns for no gain later, and I'm yearning for eight yard cushions again.

When Trent is checking down, our offense moves the ball safely and effectively - at least until they get into the red-zone. Watch the Cleveland game again for evidence of that. IMO, that decision making is what makes Trent a better than average QB.

Last year's biggest issues on offense were:

- Playing against 3-4 defense / nose tackles. Bills got smarter and nastier interior lineman. But they're young, so may take time to develop strength, etc.

- Red-zone. Bills drafted Hardy last year who struggled adjusting to the ball. Though Hardy caught a couple TDs including the game winner against Jacksonville.

- Lack big plays. The Bills brought in TO to score and also take coverage off of Evans.

- Trent's injury / concussion woes. The Bills have not really addressed Trent's injury proneness.

The defense is full of good tacklers and has top 10 upside if (a big IF)

- They can generate a pass rush. Schobel back, Maybin added.

- LBs stop missing gap assignments giving up big runs in crucial parts of the game.

- Ball halking FS. (Whitner, if Scott is SS or else Byrd if Whitner is SS).

- They don't wear down and give up 8 minute drives in 4th quarters.

I have noticed a trend over the past few season's concerning our team and it's productivity. Our defense always seems to come out and play stellar except a few occasions and they force a punt or a turnover and then our offense will go out. A lot of the times they will be out for like a minute or 2 and go 3 and out. I honestly feel our defense is great and i know you can say pass rushing and stuff like that. But honestly i always felt that if it wasn;t for the way our defense played the games would have been a lot more like those prime time games against the patriots where we are losing so bad brady gets to sit out the entire second half. I think that if ou offense can come out and do the job this year our defense is gonna be one of the best.

Go back and watch last season as miami/nyj/pats all had 90 yard 8 minute drives that completely killed any chance of us winning games against them. Good defenses don't do that. This was not and is questionable if it is yet a good defense. More should've been done to address the front 7. Aaron Maybin is extremely raw, and while I appreciate the Bills trying to address the need for a defensive end, the fact is they're relying on this same group of sad sacks, and a very thin dt rotation devoid of premiere talent. Our corners are the only above average group on the defense, and our safeties are ok, with no play making ability. This is still the same defense that gave up 50+ pts to the patriots. The same group that gave up long time consuming drives, and owned by Tyler Thigpen and a Herm Edwards offense.

I have to disagree with your post. After watching every snap last year, I think the team has the perfect blend of offense and defense. The defense is downright offensive and they have no defense for the offense. I can only watch so much of a poorly executed, flawed scheme. It only takes a few missed tackles and I'm anxious to get the offense back out on the field, to show what they can't do. A few checkdowns for no gain later, and I'm yearning for eight yard cushions again. Once the opponent scores, I am all giddy with the prospect of Lynch dancing his way to a 1 yard gain. On third and long Trent finds a well covered Fred Jackson five yards behind the LOS. The clock runs out as Jauron saves two timeouts for the second half.

Man did this guy just hit last season in a nutshell or what? :P But the cushion varies and is usually one yard more than the other team needs for a first down.

I have also noticed a trend... the past 4 seasons the defense has given up an avg. of 340 yds. per game. In the past 3 seasons under Jauron and "Fewelltility", the Bills have never averaged less than 326 yds. per game. So, I guess Dick is rallying the troops and shooting for under 326. You never know... with some luck and a real set of linebackers we could be sitting at 8-8.

Go back and watch last season as miami/nyj/pats all had 90 yard 8 minute drives that completely killed any chance of us winning games against them. Good defenses don't do that. This was not and is questionable if it is yet a good defense. More should've been done to address the front 7. Aaron Maybin is extremely raw, and while I appreciate the Bills trying to address the need for a defensive end, the fact is they're relying on this same group of sad sacks, and a very thin dt rotation devoid of premiere talent. Our corners are the only above average group on the defense, and our safeties are ok, with no play making ability. This is still the same defense that gave up 50+ pts to the patriots. The same group that gave up long time consuming drives, and owned by Tyler Thigpen and a Herm Edwards offense.

but you don't get my point how many times did you see our offense have 90 yard 8 minute drives? Barely ever because they were on the bench and our defense was on the field to much

but you don't get my point how many times did you see our offense have 90 yard 8 minute drives? Barely ever because they were on the bench and our defense was on the field to much

well they would not be on the field so much if they did not give up 90 yd 8 minute drives.

they can't stop the run which is the root of all that is evil

Maybin will never get on field due to that deficiency

Really? Can you send me some of the drugs you were on? Our defense was awful, and it was mostly because of Fewells horrible play calling.

Granted, we lacked talent. But would you rather take a slow beating or take a shot at being agressive and making plays. The 90 yard 8 minute drive Miami posted against us was pitiful. Take a shot Perry.

Keith Ellison is awful. We run a 4-3 based on the premise we have the talent to execute the 4-3 scheme. The Will or weakside LB and the Mike LB in a 4-3 are supposed to be the guys that make all of the tackles in our run scheme. A 4-3 is designed for the DT and 3 Techinque to plug gaps, and stop lineman from getting to our linebackers. Meanwhile, our D-ends played awful last year on both passing and running situations.

Also there isnt a huge difference between a 4-3 and a nickel scheme. Both defenses rely on pressure from the front 4 which we did not get last year. Opposing Qb's might as well have played no pressure, 7 vs 7 preseason pass drills. Our defense was awful. Perry Fewell is awful. And defense wins championships.

Post of the year so far!!

Bravo sir. :P

The thing is that the offense is so bad it makes the defense look ok. Opponents knew that they didn't have to score a lot and were willing to take what the defense offered. Those soul crushing 8 and 9 minute drives didn't happen because the defense was playing great. It was better than 2 years ago, when teams just toyed with our defense and did whatever they wanted to whenever they wanted to. But, that's not saying anything.

The thing is that the offense is so bad it makes the defense look ok. Opponents knew that they didn't have to score a lot and were willing to take what the defense offered. Those soul crushing 8 and 9 minute drives didn't happen because the defense was playing great. It was better than 2 years ago, when teams just toyed with our defense and did whatever they wanted to whenever they wanted to. But, that's not saying anything.

hey- it's tough to win in the NFL <_<