The Colts may promote Pete Metzelaars to OL coach. How

um thats not a fair comparison. Clearly Polian knows how to hire coaches and hiring both those guys make sense. Usually a guy like Reich or AVP will end up being good coaches because they had limitation but were great students of the game and got to watch some great players play. I'd be more apt to hire a guy like James Stewart to coach the Jaguars as opposed to someone like Fred Taylor, in response to your question.

I doubt very much Polian made the hiring decisions on any assistant coaches. I'm sure he gladly provided input if asked, but HCs hire the assistants. Unless you're Jerry Jones and you hire an OC on your own.

GO BILLS!!!

The Colts also have Frank Reich as their QB coach. Seeing Polian having two of his former players on staff got me thinking why haven't the Bills employed any of their former greats. Doesn't it seem kind of strange that we have former players from the glory years that are into coaching and none of them are on the Bills' staff? I guess Alex Van Pelt will have to suffice.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...ce=NFLHeadlines

Yes.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Would you want to coach in an established organization with stability or one that changes coaches every 3 years, and with that comes changes in coaching staffs. Beside Polian having a connection with the ex-Bills, he always creates a stable organization with class where ever he as been. I have always said, that is when the Bills downhill slide began, when Ralph forced Polian out of Buffalo. Beside, Reich and Metz followed Polian to Carolina when he left Buffalo and started the expansion Panthers, so they must like working for/with him.

Seems like yesterday when the Colts were considered the dysfunctional franchise in the league. Funny how drafting an HOF QB, among others, can change that. It'll be interesting to see if the Colts' next inevitable downfall begins with the retirement of Manning.

GO BILLS!!!

um thats not a fair comparison. Clearly Polian knows how to hire coaches and hiring both those guys make sense. Usually a guy like Reich or AVP will end up being good coaches because they had limitation but were great students of the game and got to watch some great players play. I'd be more apt to hire a guy like James Stewart to coach the Jaguars as opposed to someone like Fred Taylor, in response to your question.

I think the greats know who they'll be working for in Buffalo. :wallbash:

That's what I do like about the SF Giants. The guys they bring back are not really coaches, but assistants or part of the team in some way or another. They have McCovey and Mays, Will Clark, Krukow, Kuiper, Snow etc.... all part of the team. It's good to see.

That's what I do like about the SF Giants. The guys they bring back are not really coaches, but assistants or part of the team in some way or another. They have McCovey and Mays, Will Clark, Krukow, Kuiper, Snow etc.... all part of the team. It's good to see.

Isn't Stretch in a wheel chair?

When is the last time the Giants won a World Series? I can't seem to remember when. You hire who you are familiar with and who you think will be the best coaches. Pro sports are a business not a family reunion.

Seems like yesterday when the Colts were considered the dysfunctional franchise in the league. Funny how drafting an HOF QB, among others, can change that. It'll be interesting to see if the Colts' next inevitable downfall begins with the retirement of Manning.

GO BILLS!!!

You could very well be right, but I would put my money on Polian finding another franchise QB when Manning is nearing the end. It isn't a coincidence that the Colts started winning shortly after Polian got there. When you think about it, the Bills winning era coincided with Polian's tenure here for the most part.

The Colts also have Frank Reich as their QB coach. Seeing Polian having two of his former players on staff got me thinking why haven't the Bills employed any of their former greats. Doesn't it seem kind of strange that we have former players from the glory years that are into coaching and none of them are on the Bills' staff? I guess Alex Van Pelt will have to suffice.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...ce=NFLHeadlines

If the Bills don't turn it around this season and Dick Jauron is canned, or if Edwards doesn't play better than last season, we might not even have Van Pelt after this year.

When is the last time the Giants won a World Series? I can't seem to remember when. You hire who you are familiar with and who you think will be the best coaches. Pro sports are a business not a family reunion.

The Giants' problem is throwing large contracts at multiple over the hill players when there wasn't a demand for them in the first place. So, instead of trying to win the World Series with good acquisitions, they are content with being "competitive" while filling the stands and bringing back popular players for nostalgic reasons. Sounds like a business decision to me.

You could very well be right, but I would put my money on Polian finding another franchise QB when Manning is nearing the end. It isn't a coincidence that the Colts started winning shortly after Polian got there. When you think about it, the Bills winning era coincided with Polian's tenure here for the most part.

It also isn't a coincidence that Polian's very first draft pick in his very first year was that certain HOF QB mentioned above. Polian and Manning arrived together. I'm not taking anything away from Polian. He's a master. But he'd be the first to tell you they locked up THE most important position in the game when he got Manning.

I'm not saying he won't find another HOF QB when Manning's gone but it won't be easy to find another.

GO BILLS!!!