Ryan Pickett, Green Bay

I was just reading an NFL.com article about the top veterans likely to be pushed by rookies this year. Pickett was listed, as the Packers selected B.J. Raji in the first. Didn't Pickett play in a 4-3 defense the last few years and do a good job of it? If they are planning on turning him into a second stringer, I think he'd make a fine aquisition by the Bills. He's probably better suited for the 4-3. Do we have anyone the Packers would be interested in? I know, the Packers aren't big players in free agency and they like to keep and teach their own; but, this could be a good value trade scenario for Buffalo, if, that is, the F.O. feels about the DT position as I do - it should be improved. Who could we throw out there? Any thoughts?

From ESPN:

Ryan Pickett

Birth Date October 8, 1979

Birth Place Zephyrhills, FL

Height 6-2

Weight 330 lbs.

Age 29

Position DT

Experience 9 years

College Ohio State

Pickett has not lived up to his first-round status, but continues to develop into a solid contributor. He is a first and second-down player who comes off the field in passing situations. He has shown steady improvement throughout his career. He is a reliable two-gap player who has the size and strength to hold the point of attack. He has a good understanding and awareness when reacting to blocking patterns. He is a space eater who can anchor and hold his gap responsibility at the point of attack. He plays with good leverage and pad level when controlling offensive lineman. He can hold the point and allow linebackers to play clean downhill. He has limited range within the tackle box. He is a short-area player and not an upfield pass-rusher. He relies mainly on his upfield power to push the interior pocket and doesn't depend on many combinations when rushing the passer. He struggles to restart his feet once they stop. He is a load when he plays hard, but has a tendency to wear down leading to poor technique. Pickett is a situational player who is best suited as a run defender.

I was just reading an NFL.com article about the top veterans likely to be pushed by rookies this year. Pickett was listed, as the Packers selected B.J. Raji in the first. Didn't Pickett play in a 4-3 defense the last few years and do a good job of it? If they are planning on turning him into a second stringer, I think he'd make a fine aquisition by the Bills. He's probably better suited for the 4-3. Do we have anyone the Packers would be interested in? I know, the Packers aren't big players in free agency and they like to keep and teach their own; but, this could be a good value trade scenario for Buffalo, if, that is, the F.O. feels about the DT position as I do - it should be improved. Who could we throw out there? Any thoughts?

He is going to start, and/or rotate. He's the best player on their d-line.

I believe your right, when they signed Tripplett. I think ill pass on him.

The Bills had already signed Tripplet when the offer was made to Pickett. At the time, Pickett had offers from Buffalo and Green Bay and chose the land of cheese. Must have been the allure of Favre that made him decide to play for the Fudge Packers. <_<

Well Pickett would be an upgrade. However I would not give up any picks for him. If he were cut I would offer him some decent offer around three million not much more. He and Stroud starting is solid and getting Kyle Williams in more of a pick his spots kind of role improves him. And than Spencer Johnson is added depth and McCargo is also back in a rotational role is better. If we added Pickett our roster we would be better but not better enough to go out and give up draft picks or a huge contract for him

Pickett plays the run stuffer role in the 4-3 defense. The Bills have Marcus Stroud in that role already.

The Packers don't need him in their new 3-4 defense, Raji will play nose tackle and Pickett doesn't have the speed or athleticism to play DE in a 3-4 scheme.

The Bills are in need of the penetrator type of DT (think Tommie Harris of the Bears) Triplett was that type of undersized speed DT, but he was already washed up when the Bills signed him. They hoped McCargo would be that guy as well, but it's not panning out.

Pickett plays the run stuffer role in the 4-3 defense. The Bills have Marcus Stroud in that role already.

The Packers don't need him in their new 3-4 defense, Raji will play nose tackle and Pickett doesn't have the speed or athleticism to play DE in a 3-4 scheme.

The Bills are in need of the penetrator type of DT (think Tommie Harris of the Bears) Triplett was that type of undersized speed DT, but he was already washed up when the Bills signed him. They hoped McCargo would be that guy as well, but it's not panning out.

:rolleyes:

Justin Harrell will see time inside and outside as well.

Yeah I was going to say that they just drafted Harrell in 07 too..but he hasn't lived up to their expectations yet

On picking Raji, I think he was a player that the Packers just couldn't pass on for the value at that pick...

Although I have a strong feeling that Ron Brace might have a better career than Raji, and ONLY because of coaching rather than talent. Sad but true.