The cap hit on cut players

Assuming we are speaking in terms of the "cash to cap" philosophy and assuming that player bonuses are not amortized over the life of the contract as other teams do:

Will the Bills incur any cap penalties on players that have been signed under this principal?

Assuming we are speaking in terms of the "cash to cap" philosophy and assuming that player bonuses are not amortized over the life of the contract as other teams do:

Will the Bills incur any cap penalties on players that have been signed under this principal?

Cash to cap has nothing at all to do with the cap hit when someone is cut.

What cash to cap means, is that in any given year, the Bills don't spend more money than is allowed by the salary cap, but there aren't any special rules for teams that follow cash to cap. For the purposes of the cap, signing bonuses are still spread out over the length of the contract, and cutting a player with a big signing bonus with several years left on his deal will result in a big cap hit.

Cash to cap has nothing at all to do with the cap hit when someone is cut.

What cash to cap means, is that in any given year, the Bills don't spend more money than is allowed by the salary cap, but there aren't any special rules for teams that follow cash to cap. For the purposes of the cap, signing bonuses are still spread out over the length of the contract, and cutting a player with a big signing bonus with several years left on his deal will result in a big cap hit.

OK, thank you.

For some reason (I may have imagined this) I thought that I heard that the Bills were not amortizing the signing bonuses over the life of the contract ie. that a 5 million dollar signing bonus would fully count against the current years cap thus seemingly limiting the amount of cap space.

Unless you know something I don't (very possible), I am not at all under the impression that the above is true. For instance, they didn't gain much cap space when they cut Dockery due to his accelerated signing bonus.

The Bills, and I suppose some other teams set their own spending limit, and towards this they count bonuses. Actually, it is a pretty good way to do business, whereas it allows cap room for a rainy day, which would be a run on injuries, or in our case arrests.

Unless you know something I don't (very possible), I am not at all under the impression that the above is true. For instance, they didn't gain much cap space when they cut Dockery due to his accelerated signing bonus.

The Bills, and I suppose some other teams set their own spending limit, and towards this they count bonuses. Actually, it is a pretty good way to do business, whereas it allows cap room for a rainy day, which would be a run on injuries, or in our case arrests.

I dont' disagree with the approach my further question is how much of a hit are the Bills going to take when the cut (hopefully) Kelsay.

I dont' disagree with the approach my further question is how much of a hit are the Bills going to take when the cut (hopefully) Kelsay.

I don't have the numbers, but his entire bonus gets accelerated and his salary would no longer count. I can only guess, but it would probably be close to a wash.

So, if his bonus was 10 million, and he has played 3 years of a 5 year contract, 4 million bonus money would count.

If you can get his bonus numbers and the date of the contract you can figure out the hit, and put it against his actually salary, which comes off.