These 6th, 7th round DBs

I would have preferred a look-see at DT's and OTs, but occasionally, you can find a good player in the 7th (or other lower rounds) that surprises.

Ethan Kilmer, WR/Safety - PSU was a 7th round pick in '06. His story at PSU is interesting...a walk on. It became apparent that he was a ST whiz. Something like 12 tackles of returners - I watched him and saw Tasker-like tendencies. He played some S as an injury fill-in late in the season. Hit hard, took a 52 yard pick to the house. Unfortunately, He suffered a lower leg injury, but the B'gals were so hopeful about him, they kept him on their active roster for 6 or 7 games in '07. That's something - burning up a roster spot for a 7th rounder. He's on MIA's team last I heard, and I hope he regains health.

Chinedum Ndukwe, SS - ND. Picked in the 7th in '07, he showed to be a very smart, hard-hitting player, and became the starter in '08. Had an injury setback, but in 2 years, his stats and play on the field are good. Lady Luck struck.

http://www.nfl.com/players/chinedumndukwe/...le?id=NDU344714

I speculate that 7th rounders, perhaps 6th, can be hunches...this or that one has something about him that appeals; forget positional needs, this kid even with his warts has something that somehow makes one think he could make a roster.

Every pick is a dice roll - I'm for giving these youngsters a chance.

I would have preferred a look-see at DT's and OTs, but occasionally, you can find a good player in the 7th (or other lower rounds) that surprises.

Ethan Kilmer, WR/Safety - PSU was a 7th round pick in '06. His story at PSU is interesting...a walk on. It became apparent that he was a ST whiz. Something like 12 tackles of returners - I watched him and saw Tasker-like tendencies. He played some S as an injury fill-in late in the season. Hit hard, took a 52 yard pick to the house. Unfortunately, He suffered a lower leg injury, but the B'gals were so hopeful about him, they kept him on their active roster for 6 or 7 games in '07. That's something - burning up a roster spot for a 7th rounder. He's on MIA's team last I heard, and I hope he regains health.

Chinedum Ndukwe, SS - ND. Picked in the 7th in '07, he showed to be a very smart, hard-hitting player, and became the starter in '08. Had an injury setback, but in 2 years, his stats and play on the field are good. Lady Luck struck.

http://www.nfl.com/players/chinedumndukwe/...le?id=NDU344714

I speculate that 7th rounders, perhaps 6th, can be hunches...this or that one has something about him that appeals; forget positional needs, this kid even with his warts has something that somehow makes one think he could make a roster.

Every pick is a dice roll - I'm for giving these youngsters a chance.

Good post Cincy. I'm of the mind that there's essentially no difference between your average 6th/7th round pick and your average UDFA. So why not take a flyer on some guy you had rated a lot higher and then fill out your "depth projects" via UDFA. Most of these guys aren't going to pan out anyway, but you stand a better chance of hitting if you take your higher rated players as opposed to "position X/Y"

Good post Cincy. I'm of the mind that there's essentially no difference between your average 6th/7th round pick and your average UDFA. So why not take a flyer on some guy you had rated a lot higher and then fill out your "depth projects" via UDFA. Most of these guys aren't going to pan out anyway, but you stand a better chance of hitting if you take your higher rated players as opposed to "position X/Y"

Thanks. I've no doubt that every position coach does his own bit of scouting in some form or another. If in the 6th or 7th, one says "I'd like to take a shot on this kid". I'm inclined to trust that position coach, and pull that trigger when they present a good case. Why hire a guy in the first place, if not?

Thanks. I've no doubt that every position coach does his own bit of scouting in some form or another. If in the 6th or 7th, one says "I'd like to take a shot on this kid". I'm inclined to trust that position coach, and pull that trigger when they present a good case. Why hire a guy in the first place, if not?

I'm all for what the Bills did in the 6th and 7th round. My guess is that they wanted to find at least one more player to make the squad as a CB.

Mcgee is going into a contract year and Youbouty may be gone and seems to always be injured or something.

If one of the 2 draft choices makes the team and is a contributor on Sundays for the Bills in the next 2 years, then it was a total success.