Ray Maualuga and NFL Network

Lombardi was talking about what teams got value this weekend. He mentioned

Maualuga (who went to Cinci) "took a lot of phone calls and turned them down".

Do potential draftees actually say no to the team that wants them?

If so, does the team give a darn and draft the player anyways?

If so, glad we did not get him if he's dictating this early in his career.

Lombardi was talking about what teams got value this weekend. He mentioned

Maualuga (who went to Cinci) "took a lot of phone calls and turned them down".

Do potential draftees actually say no to the team that wants them?

If so, does the team give a darn and draft the player anyways?

If so, glad we did not get him if he's dictating this early in his career.

That doesn't make a ton of sense to me

Wait, he reportedly turned teams down...and picked the Bengals? :thumbsup:

Or did they not listen and pick him anyway? It would explain the drop. And stupid as hell if true.

Exactly what I was thinking. Rey turned so many teams down and then went to the Bungals. Brilliant

I cannot imagine that Rey would be telling teams not to draft him. The guy is a warrior not a prima donna.

Furthermore with the amount of money you lose at each draft spot that's not even within the realm of possibility. Guys like Eli Manning and John Elway were able to do that because their fathers were highly connected in the football business and wanted to protect the interest of their sons by ensuring that they landed with stable organizations. In addition each of them knew that they would get their money anyways because they were elite quarterbacks.

A linebacker who was already in jeopardy to slide out of the first round would never cut down on his own payday.

I watched the piece, what was said was Lewis (the Bengals) received alot of calls from other teams wanting Rey, but they turned down those trade offers and drafted him.

It was just said on NFL Network the Rey Mauluga got calls from teams and turned them down. That just sounds crazy. He loses money and goes to a bad team. Maybe NFL Network had it mixed up too.