Trying to stay fit

I'm starting on a weight loss routine myself. The hardest thing for me I can tell is going to be the cutback of soda and iced tea. I am not picky about food; healthy/unhealthy it really doesn't matter to me but not being able to have my Coca Cola? Ouch. Anyone know off hand if DIET Arizona Iced tea/Sierra Mist Free/Diet snapple is OK to have every once and a while? They're all free of sugar, carbs and calories but have some sodium in them.

Anything is ok in moderation. Completly cutting out something you love isn't realistic because you will never maintain that lifestyle.

I bought one of those fancy computerized treadmills from Sears when they had them on sale. It was an $899 treadmill and I got it for $399. I use the weightloss setting which has 3 different routines at least 3 times a week (I'm 50) and since I started the 1st week of Jan I have lost 19 lbs. I wish I had discovered one of these things years ago!

If you hadnt eaten anything for 8 weeks, well then you might start burning muscle. Eat small meals throughout the day and this will keep your metabolism revved. Shutting down your caloric intake will cause your metabolism to respond by slowing down.

I had always thought it started earlier than that.. not to the point of "stranded on a desert island" atrophy though. Regardless, yeah, metabolism will tank.

-Stay away from carbonated and sugary beverages; soda, iced tea, etc, etc.

-It's easier to cut something out of your diet than to burn the calories.

-Try to eat smaller portions, but more meals. This will keep your metabolism higher as well as give you more energy.

-Eat breakfast, very important. Eating a breakfast allows your body to get nutrients right away and helps you to get your metabolism going so that it works throughout the day.

-Dietary fiber, helps with digestion and it will fill you up, good to have for breakfast.

-Drink lots of water. Recommended amount is at least 8 12 oz. glasses per day, the more, the better.

-Exercise 3-5 times per week. Keeping a weekly routine helps to maintain metabolic rate, burn calories and fat, build muscle, create new capillary beds, allowing you to utilize oxygen at a higher rate. Doctors recommend cardiovascular exercise at least 3x per week and at least 20 mins continuously.

-I'd say follow your diet for a few days, figure out what you eat regularly and then try to make healthy choices as substitutes for those. Say you have a pop everyday for lunch, try substituting it with a diet green tea, or even a diet beverage.

-Be disciplined, probably most important part, if you start a routine try and stick with it.

-Alcohol- be moderate when possible, it's healthy to have alcohol in some instances.

Good luck!

So I turned 21 last may. I was about 150 and a year later - I'm 175 (now). Obviously Bars and Bills tailgating did a job on me so I'm trying to get back into shape. I am in alright shape now - just a small beer gut. What are some tips and tricks to help out my diet? I've been eating salads, diet drinks, and working out. Any advice? Thanks! :rolleyes:

25 lbs a year after turning 21? You're f-cked when you turn 30...

25 lbs a year after turning 21? You're f-cked when you turn 30...

Sorry to side track the thread... But, did anyone catch the article on how certain old-time chicken breeds are disappearing becuase of all the "industrial breeds" out there? I suppose the same with turkey's too.

A five-week fryer is like the human equivalant of baby at 2 years old reaching the weight of 349 lbs!

:rolleyes: