Dan Fans Unite!

JLO

Huge SD fan here and I know there are others on this board. So when I got this email from their website yesterday i was ecstatic to say the least.

Steely Dan's Rent Party '09 Tour

To Include Special Setlist Shows In Four Metropolitan Markets

Breaking news! Steely Dan's Rent Party '09 Tour will include multi-night stands of special setlist shows in

New York, Boston, Los Angeles, and Chicago.

All evenings of these special engagements will offer one of the following programs:

Classic Album (Plus) Night: Setlist is one of three classic Steely Dan albums in its entirety —

plus selected additional favorites

"Takin' It To The Seats" Internet Request Night: Setlist is determined by the internet votes

of ticket-holders for that show

Before you buy a ticket, you'll know which of the setlists above will be played on that night.

Dates and details — including news about promotions, packages, and other sundry goodies— are coming soon

:wallbash:

Got my ticket (5th row center Pit) this morning for the St Augustine Amphitheater show on June 18th. The Special Setlist shows did make me pause for a moment. But, I know I can't miss the show down the street from where I live. I may actually be in LA when the boys play their SoCal concerts, so who knows.

Anyway, many of us hardcore fans have been looking for a deeper cuts show, with some songs that have yet to be played, or have been rarely played. But, it is funny that many fans (and some critics) who go to Dan shows are disappointed they don't get to hear all the "hits".

The differentiated special set lists may work to appease both ends of the spectrum.

Classic Album (Plus) Night will be a deeper cuts show, at least in theory. But, given that Scam, Aja and Gaucho seem the likely candidates, plenty of hits, and much of the stuff they have been playing, will be part of the show and what sounds like a night for those looking for a deeper set list could end up being about the same mix as in past shows. The X-Factor is the "plus" If the Dan includes deeper cuts from other albums, then this really could be the show many have clamored for. X-Factor 2 would be if they played a different album than the ones mentioned.

Takin' It To The Seats" Internet Request Night, on its face, would look to shape up as the "greatest hits" concert the radio dan fans have been missing. Certainly Reelin and Do it Again, Riki, Hey 19, FM, etc will be the popular choices...right? Or will they? I think some certainly will, but that brings us to the X-Factor for this theme: This could be the test market for what Dan fans REALLY want. If there really are more closet Dan-heads that are looking for some of the little/never played tunes, this has the opportunity to turn into an "obscure fest". Remember, fans drive these kind of Internet polls. But, assuming they will tie it to a ticket sale, and there is no chance to vote multiple times, then I can't believe many of the obscurities will garner enough total votes to break into the lineup. (I wonder how many requests you get to make?) Anyway, even if it doesn't result in many "obscure" songs, if these songs gain enough votes, in total, it might send a message. What message, and to whom, is anyone's guess.

These could be really meaningful, or something Irving Azoff Mgt came up with for marketing. I think they play what Don and Walt want to play, regardless.

There is a possibility that both of these special set lists seem fairly similar to each other and pretty familiar to those who have been to past Dan shows.

To me, it's all good. I'd love to hear Countdown or Katy Lied in full....same with the two newer ones. I'd take a show highlighting Don's and Walt's solo stuff, mixed with Steely tunes. Worst case scenario, I think, it is simply another outstanding concert with great musicians playing incredible music. Nothing wrong with that.