Looking for the silver lining

Magox

As much as I wanted to keep Peters, he is gone and we move on.

The negatives on the deal is obvious, we have another huge hole to fill, arguably the second most important position on offense.

So where are the positives?

Peters play last year, was average at best, and it shouldn't be that difficult to at least duplicate. We do have 3 draft choices to try to help fill some needs and we could use some of them to help trade up in the draft to target after some players. The other thing that is a positive, is that we have approximately about $7 Million + more dollars to work with including the extra cost of this year's extra draft choices to improve our team.

Also, we won't have to deal with the distraction of another possible Peters holdout, so that is a plus.

So how do we improve our team, and what should the strategy be on draft day? Well, there are so many variables that have to be taken into consideration that it is difficult to have things fall into place the way we would like them too.

As of right now, I would have to believe that Langston Walker is the LT, Chambers/Bell on the right side. Hangartner at center and Butler/Mckinnie at the guard positions.

It is obvious that we ideally would need to upgrade at one of the tackle and guard positions.

With $7 Million extra to work with, I would think that a trade for Waters would look good right about now. A deal to K.C for Roscoe and one of the 4th rounders makes a lot of sense to me. You figure Waters is looking for a deal close to $6 Million a season, subtract approximately $2 Million for Roscoe and now you're talking about $4 Million cap hit.

That immediately takes care of the guard position in a huge pro bowl way for about the next 3 years or so.

That leaves the tackle position. My feelings are that big boobies and Oher will be gone by the time we pick and that leaves Eben Britton, . I like the kid a lot, and I think he is going to be a good one http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/556821 . Tackles are at a premium in this league, and the good ones tend to go early, so the question to me is, should we pick him at the #11 spot, or do we wait and see how things shake out. My feelings are that we should wait and see how things play out.

With the #11 pick, the ideal situation is would be to trade down, as it seems that most people we would like could be had a little further down. Those things don't seem to play out to often for us, so I will assume that we keep the #11 pick.

#11 Pettigrew I don't care what anyone says about him being a reach, I actually think this would be a great value pick, I believe he is going to be a 10 year starter/multiple probowler for us, and at the end of the day, he will help this team out tremendously both on the run and passing game. I wouldn't want to risk losing out on him for the hope that we could pick him up with a later pick.

Now we still have 2 major needs to fill, pass rush and the tackle position.

My guess is that Britton will still be around in the early 20's of the first round. I think we should look to trade down with our 28 pick with possibly our other 4th and look to draft Britton if he is still available. I believe that Britton is a player that we should target, and my hope is that he still would be around. He very well may not be, because I believe he is viewed as the 5th best LT in this year's draft, and it seems as if there have been runs on tackles in the first round as of lately.

The other player that I would like to target would be Matthews. Many people believe that he may have the most upside blitzing ability from the outside LB spot in this year's draft along with English. If Matthews is still available in the 20's as there are many draft boards are predicting, I believe this is another player the Bills should look to trade down and acquire. Trade our 2nd and 3rd and a 6th if need be to get him.

He would fill the LB spot beautifully and he would help in the pass rush. I think this move would make a lot of sense.

If Matthews is not available, I would think that English could be another player to target. I don't know if he would fit as a LB or DE, but he is such a talent, I'm sure Perry Fewell would love to have him to help with our pass rush.

So this is the silver lining that I have come up with.

Fire away! as I know silver linings aren't too popular now a days.