Screw Pettigrew... I really want...

I really like Coffman and would not mind him becoming a Bill. That being said there is a reason he might drop to the third round. He doesn't have great experience blocking. He is basically a big WR. That might be fine for the Bills, I don't know what the coaches want.

I really like Coffman and would not mind him becoming a Bill. That being said there is a reason he might drop to the third round. He doesn't have great experience blocking. He is basically a big WR. That might be fine for the Bills, I don't know what the coaches want.

Well... we do have Fine and Schouman as our blockers. Coffman can be the beastly agile TE for us that catches.

I am not convinced. The fact that his college coaches, who saw him in practice every day for years, saw fit never to line him up as a blocker speaks volumes to me.

Its the spread dude. Just because he never lined up as a blocker doesnt mean he cant do it average enough to be a starting TE. Royal was supposed to be a "blocking TE" but if you didnt notice he was taken out for most running plays. In college Coffman completely controlled the middle of the field on seem routes and was spectacular running underneath and crossign routes - Just what the Bills need. He wont dominate as a blocker, but he will as a pass catcher -- pass catching muhc more important.

Its the spread dude. Just because he never lined up as a blocker doesnt mean he cant do it average enough to be a starting TE. Royal was supposed to be a "blocking TE" but if you didnt notice he was taken out for most running plays. In college Coffman completely controlled the middle of the field on seem routes and was spectacular running underneath and crossign routes - Just what the Bills need. He wont dominate as a blocker, but he will as a pass catcher -- pass catching muhc more important.

Teams tend to run the spread to compensate for a lack of physical players. The spread formation is all about getting the most out of speed. I agree that the Bills need a TE who can catch passes, but they don't need an elite pass catching tight end. What they need is a dynamic TE who *can* catch the ball consistently and be an extra target in short yardage or red zone situations, but blocking is still more important. We have receiving weapons that already will cause mismatches against pretty much every defense in the NFL. We need a dynamic TE who can block and catch well but who doesn't need to be elite as a pass receiver. Pass catching is NEVER NEVER NEVER more important than blocking. Don't forget, the Bills have a solid running game. We don't have to be the undefeated Patriots in terms of our passing game, all we need is a balanced attack to keep teams honest and a line to protect Trent, and we have our skill position weapons already in place. Shoot I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Andre Smith and playing him at TE =0 (just a joke...but making a point.)

CHASE COFFMAN

My god... This is what we need...

I just hope when he tries to jump over Bart Scott, Bruschi, and Joey Porter... He doesn't get powerbombed :(

Ever notice how you don't see NFL players hurdling defenders? Well after the first 3 or 4 died from broken necks, the rest decided it was a bad idea lol.

Teams tend to run the spread to compensate for a lack of physical players. The spread formation is all about getting the most out of speed. I agree that the Bills need a TE who can catch passes, but they don't need an elite pass catching tight end. What they need is a dynamic TE who *can* catch the ball consistently and be an extra target in short yardage or red zone situations, but blocking is still more important. We have receiving weapons that already will cause mismatches against pretty much every defense in the NFL. We need a dynamic TE who can block and catch well but who doesn't need to be elite as a pass receiver. Pass catching is NEVER NEVER NEVER more important than blocking. Don't forget, the Bills have a solid running game. We don't have to be the undefeated Patriots in terms of our passing game, all we need is a balanced attack to keep teams honest and a line to protect Trent, and we have our skill position weapons already in place. Shoot I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Andre Smith and playing him at TE =0 (just a joke...but making a point.)

Well put.

Everyone's obsessing about TE, and we do have average-joes (at best) at that spot - but why do we really need a high-profile, pass catching TE? We've got two ELITE wideouts, a very good 3rd WR to pull in passes across the middle (Reed is more than a stretch at #2, but will be great if he can stick to #3), and two RB's with good hands coming out of the backfield. How many more pass catchers do we need?? We need a TE with great BLOCKING skills to help out the OL, not a prima donna with hands that will whiff on blocks.

Seriously - how many catches did the TE's make last year in AZ with Fitz and Boldin going nuts? or in NE, with Moss and Welker going off? Their passing games were fine!

Personally, I'll be upset if the Bills draft a TE before they address the DL and OL needs.

I am not convinced. The fact that his college coaches, who saw him in practice every day for years, saw fit never to line him up as a blocker speaks volumes to me.

And he did line up inline for a lot of his first three years while Rucker was at Mizzou. Coffman was used as our "blocking TE" up untill his Jr. year. BillsFan Trapped in Pats land obviously isn't familiar with Coffman or the spread. Its the spread dude, no TEs really line up in a three point stance but Coffman did play on the end of the line up untill Rucker left. The fact that his coaches didn't use him in the manner you state has everything to do with the scheme and nothing to do with his ability.

Other than Pettigrew, the next 4 TE have ? on their blocking. Ingram, Nelson, Cook, and Coffman all are not a good blockers. However, I would want Coffman over all of them. I could see Coffman lasting to the 4th just because he was injured for the Combine and his pro day. This is a deep class at TE this year. James Casey is the second best blocker at TE. IMO, I think we will nab one of those TE's listed.

Everyone's obsessing about TE, and we do have average-joes (at best) at that spot - but why do we really need a high-profile, pass catching TE? We've got two ELITE wideouts, a very good 3rd WR to pull in passes across the middle (Reed is more than a stretch at #2, but will be great if he can stick to #3), and two RB's with good hands coming out of the backfield. How many more pass catchers do we need?? We need a TE with great BLOCKING skills to help out the OL, not a prima donna with hands that will whiff on blocks.

Seriously - how many catches did the TE's make last year in AZ with Fitz and Boldin going nuts? or in NE, with Moss and Welker going off? Their passing games were fine!

Personally, I'll be upset if the Bills draft a TE before they address the DL and OL needs.

Well... maybe their TEs drew coverage which made Fitz and Boldin open

EXACTLY :(