Positional needs in draft

I see the Bills needing either starters or depth at several positions. The question is whether they can be filled during the draft. The needs I see, in no particular order are:

DT, DE, OT depending on Peters status, OLB, Chase Coffman, OG, S, C

The order the draft should follow would be:

DT, OG, Chase Coffman, DE, C, S, OLB.....the later we get the more "best player avilable" mentality should kick in. If we get a pick for Peters, that pick or higher should be used on replacing him.

The draft order I think the Bills will follow:

DE, Chase Coffman, DT, OG, best player....

Its a combo of both i think. Like you said the Bills have four 'need' areas. Oline LB Dline and TE. Depending on who is available when you pick you take the best guy for that area/which one(s) is the most pressing.

Then you can in the mid to later rounds take a guy that is not at a need positon necessarly if you think he has a lot of potential/best available . He could one day be a starter, is just raw. In the mean time he either contributes on ST or play on the practice squad.

After the pass rush, OG is a SERIOUS need IMO.

Not only do we not have a starter, we don't have backups. I think the only way to legitimately stop Owens and Evans is to get to Edwards before he can throw the ball. With us having a large hole at LG, a new OC that we don't know how good he is, not knowing what we're getting from Peters, and no solid backups at OG or OC that can come in and play WHEN a starter goes down, I view the interior of the line as a SERIOUS concern.

I think we need to draft AT LEAST two interior lineman, but preferably three.

After the pass rush, OG is a SERIOUS need IMO.

Not only do we not have a starter, we don't have backups. I think the only way to legitimately stop Owens and Evans is to get to Edwards before he can throw the ball. With us having a large hole at LG, a new OC that we don't know how good he is, not knowing what we're getting from Peters, and no solid backups at OG or OC that can come in and play WHEN a starter goes down, I view the interior of the line as a SERIOUS concern.

I think we need to draft AT LEAST two interior lineman, but preferably three.

I think you have some depth in Chambers. It also sounds like Bell is going to see a lot of action in preseason. And could make the final roster as depth if he performs well. But you are 100% correct in the fact the Bills need to spend a high pick(round 2) on an interior guy. And if Peters is dealt then round one could be used for a tackle. You then got to go OLB with your other first, from Peters trade. Then go Dline in third. Trade the other third rounder (from Peters trade) and a fith for Scheffler. Fourth pick up a safety to develope for a year and play STs.Sixth and Seventh take best guys available.

People who don't have a clue ALWAYS say that!

If the best player available was a RB.... then what? :thumbsup:

worse yet what if it was a DB.

I do understand the logic. It's all about relative strength if you continue to make skill compromises based on your needs you build a team with second rate talent.

The dogma assumes that the talent evaluators get it right. I think what really happens is the evaluators get it right within limits. What those limits are is debatabe. Maybe in this draft there are 7 elite players. Choices 8-13 maybe pretty equal and then 14 to 30. You have to have a blend of the two ideas. The next thing you need to consider is depth at the position. Lastl and not least is the fact that some positions are off the board quickly. You usually don't find great DE's in the third round but you might find a great QB.

It is like a lot of the more complex things in life a blending of art and science.