NFL owners to vote on lengthening season

This seems like good news, but it won't take effect until 2011. Which is a bummer because I kind of have a rather short term view of things as a Bills fan, especially given the possibility of uncapped season in 2010 and a work stoppage in 2011... Either way 17 or 18 regular season games would be sweet. Also in the article DirecTV resigns deal for NFL Sunday Ticket through 2014

This seems like good news, but it won't take effect until 2011. Which is a bummer because I kind of have a rather short term view of things as a Bills fan, especially given the possibility of uncapped season in 2010 and a work stoppage in 2011... Either way 17 or 18 regular season games would be sweet. Also in the article DirecTV resigns deal for NFL Sunday Ticket through 2014

If it does happen, I can see reasons for it taking time...lots of negotiations to keep stadiums open for an extra week...dealings with municipalities, stadium labor, scheduling, and so on.

I personally hate the idea of lengthening the nfl season. The season is at the perfect length right now and the only reasoning behind making it longer is $. They are talking about lengthening the game at the end of the season so the season would go longer into the winter. I know the season has been obviously lengthened before but you could throw out most single season records because they would probably be broken within the first year. Just my opinion

I personally hate the idea of lengthening the nfl season. The season is at the perfect length right now and the only reasoning behind making it longer is $. They are talking about lengthening the game at the end of the season so the season would go longer into the winter. I know the season has been obviously lengthened before but you could throw out most single season records because they would probably be broken within the first year. Just my opinion

I hate having 4 preseason games. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. 2 or, at the most, 3 preseason games would be fine.

Or would they?

NFL is not talking about lengthening season / adding games; the article title is false. It could have been true but not as impacting by saying 'N.F.L. Owners Will Vote to Lengthen Regular Season, Goodell Says' since it was not an exact quote.

They are talking about converting one or two preseason games to regular season games. I am a little surprised about this for some teams preseason is a gold mine., a time to get full price while "not paying" full price for players. In actuality they pay full price + preseason game cost and the players want the same amount for preseason games even if they do not play the entire game. NFL teams actually pay players for preseason games even if they do not participate in game.

They are announcing this now before the new contract because they know the NFL players will demand more per game since most players do not play full preseason games anyways. This way they can incorporate everything into new package.

They make a standard low salary for the preseason, not their pro-rated salary.

has nothing to do with salary...has to do with making the team. The preseason games are a way for players to make their cases for sticking on the roster. When you're talking about undrafted free agents, they rely on getting time in those preseason games to showcase themselves.