Cutler for Edwards?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trents fourth quarter comebacks are a lil inflated...Greer, Mitchell, and Lynch literally bailed the game out for us in 3 of those 4th quarter wins, but, you give Trent the credit...In the Rams and Raider games, Trents passer rating was 81 both games because he was not very good through the majority of the game...

Still, his 4th quarter ratings are higher than the rest of his game and still impressive...so thats why I say he has potential...BUT, playing FROM BEHIND in the fourth quarter is NOT the way you build a winning team...FYI...Jake Plummer was known as Mr. Comeback...too bad he stunk so much the rest of the game that they dumped him for Cutler...

So, I dont want a QB thats puts us behind because he cant get it going during the fourth quarter...and I say again, why on earth do you talk about Cutlers lack of a playoff win in a Cutler-Edwards comparison when Trent hasnt sniffed the playoffs either? Especially since everyone knows that the Broncos not making the playoffs last year had everything to do with the defense...

Take a look at the game winning drive stats. That's what I'm talking about. Trent has done that numerous times. I don't know that I've seen Cutler do that more than once or twice. A comparison between Edwards and Plummer is a bit silly, I think, but the fact is, if Edwards had the receiving weapons that Cutler had, playing in that offense they were running in Denver last year, Denver doesn't miss the playoffs. Edwards is a very intelligent and efficient Quarterback, who is on a team with less talent than they had in Denver. And I'd rather have a QB who can keep the game close and win it in the Fourth Quarter than one who can't. Cutler did not look that impressive last year and as other posters have noted, his stats are inflated because they were throwing the ball an average of 40 times last year. Blame that on their lack of depth at RB if you want to, but if Edwards was throwing 40 times, he'd have more yards passing too. There is a lot more to playing QB than pure statistics. Edwards is a better all around QB than Cutler, and has a lot more upside. We've seen everything Cutler can do. He's a gun slinger who makes poor decisions. So was Dan Marino. How many Super Bowls did he win? I'll take the Joe Montana type QB, who makes smart plays and has an average arm, than a risk taking gunslinger any time. It's not as exciting, but the potential for winning games is greater. To say that Cutler is in a league above Edwards purely based on passing stats is silly. Neither one has played in the greatest of situations, and neither one has done much. However, with better weapons around him this year, I expect that TE will be a much better QB, and by the end of the season people who were calling for a trade like this will be asking for their plate of crow.

And of course, if I'm wrong, I will happily call for mine, but right now, trading Edwards AND draft picks for a guy who has just as much to prove would be a serious mistake, especially considering the number of holes we need to fill on this team.

Um, they threw it that much because they Cutler was effective when throwing...if we had a QB who could throw like I am sure we would pass more too...

Instead, our staff is so iffy on our QB that we run the ball 3 straight downs to end a game with a long FG with lots of wind instead of using the final minute on the clock to throw the ball and try and get better field position...

So, to me, that shows a lack of confidence in our QB not to turn the ball over AGAIN in that game...where in Denver, they rode Cutlers arm because without him they win maybe 2 or 3 games last year.

Again, look at Cutler's receiving options. He's an average QB at this point in his career; he has the potential to be really good... but I don't think he would have much success if he had lesser talent around him. Brandon Marshall could break the single season record for catches, Eddie Royal has been very good, and Tony Scheffler is a very good receiving TE. It just doesn't make sense to trade for Cutler when we haven't even surrounded our QB with anything comparable to what Jay Cutler has. The Broncos also have a very good offensive line, and they gained 4.8 yards a carry while their rookie LT only gave up 2.5 sacks. Lets face it, the Denver Bronco's offense has so many more good players on it. What would Cutler do if no one was open? He has a penchant for bone-headed turn overs, and i don't think he would check down very often. If you brought Cutler here last year, he would have thrown 20+ INTs as he is the type of QB that forces the ball even when no one is open. His YPA was .1 greater than Trent last year.

Trading for him makes no sense.