Kelsay on T.O.

." Chris Kelsay was surprised saying that the team had other needs besides wide receiver but he's a great talent.

Like Defensive End?? :thumbsup:

Wel said by Kelsay, the whole off season reading how we need another WR had me confused. Josh Reed is a great slot receiver - look at his recetion to 1stdown percentage. Hardy will pan out witha season under his belt. But thekid I reallylike is Steve Johnson- he has all the tools.

Adding TO will open the offense up, but I feel we really have other needs, TO did come in at a good price and no loss of a draft pick - Can Edwards get the ball downfield to him and Evans?. Another DE and another LB. Our LB corps is small and fast - I really think going to a 3 -4 would be a great Idea, That way John DiG is on the field more often.

and we need another tight end, Derek Fine looks as though he could be a 35-40 catch TE, but does not really help with spreading the defence.

Wel said by Kelsay, the whole off season reading how we need another WR had me confused. Josh Reed is a great slot receiver - look at his recetion to 1stdown percentage. Hardy will pan out witha season under his belt. But thekid I reallylike is Steve Johnson- he has all the tools.

Adding TO will open the offense up, but I feel we really have other needs, TO did come in at a good price and no loss of a draft pick - Can Edwards get the ball downfield to him and Evans?. Another DE and another LB. Our LB corps is small and fast - I really think going to a 3 -4 would be a great Idea, That way John DiG is on the field more often.

and we need another tight end, Derek Fine looks as though he could be a 35-40 catch TE, but does not really help with spreading the defence.

The T.O. move is a no brainer. Reed is not a #2 WR, he is built for the slot and is a great outlet. Hardy's knee isn't going to be normal for a while. Johnson has great upside as we all saw last year. What the T.O. signing does is bring in a Vet to fill a huge gap at the #2 slot. Now teams can't double team Evans all day and totally take away our run game. Yeah this guy had a lot of drops last year but he is great off the press is an unbelievable route runner and most importantly he can show the young WR's we have how to play in the NFL. Its a 1 year deal so we will see where it goes. I think this is the best move they have made in a long time.

Kelsay is right in that we go nowhere unless we shore up the trenches on both sides of the ball. That being said and assuming we take care of our pass blocking and pass rushing in what's left of free agency and the draft...we could be cooking with gas next year. My granmother used to say that...I'm not sure what it means but it seems apropos.

Josh Reed's play and production actually stands to benefit the most from TO's presence if he is on his game well enough to beat out Parrish as the #3 WR for the Bills.

Reed had a very good season as a rookie in large part due to the fact that the #1 and #2 WRs were Moulds who hit the century mark in receptions and Price who logged 94 catches. As the rookie #3, Reed got to take advantage of the fact that between Moulds productivity and Price's speed that both really demanded a double team and Reed got to run his routes against LBs too plodding to cover a WR or safeties too small to take on a WR with RB abilities.

Right now, IMHO, it is Parrish who with his skillset of freakish speed and a surprising toughness shown when he is called to go over the middle who is the clear Bills choice at #3. In 4 wide sets, Reed will get to conceivably face the opponent's fifth best cover guy if team's man-up against the top 3 or use his superior route running skills evidenced in the first down reception ration you mention to pick apart zones.

As far as having a great TE, the obtaining of TO makes it a seemingly far better move to employ the TE along the lines the Rams used of sending minimal passes his way as part of their high-flying offense as the TE is better used with Royal's skills as a sixth blocker to keep Edwards off his rear end rather than as a downfield threat in an O which actually is now 5 deep in quality receivers with Steve Johnson making a case that it is fact Reed who should be the #5 WR.

The acquisition of one of the most productive WRs in the game over the last decade really does potentially revolutionize the Bills passing attack and O while it also clearly runs the risk of TO being poison.

The good news is that the one year deal simply sets the Bills up in the best position possible to manage this poison to simply cut him lose if he potentially may damage the whole team by becoming a cancer. TO will not have the time to become a cancer in one year as he is unlikely to win the hearts and minds of his teammates and fans. The good news is that if he turns out to be so productive he does convince folks he is better than sliced bread, the Bills have the ability to tag him and keep him if we want.

The downsides of this move are clearly there but they are quite manageable as if TO is a jerk you let him walk or even cut him and if he is a great you make a deal or tag him. Life has no guarantees so it is hard for me to see how we could have constructed this better.

." Chris Kelsay was surprised saying that the team had other needs besides wide receiver but he's a great talent.

Like Defensive End?? B-)

seriously...

Kelsay should be counting his blessings that no one has cut a talented, loud-mouth DE.

Look, I like Steve Johnson as much as anyone else on this board to a certain extent. I saw him play a bit in college and he just seems to have a certain swag about him. Either way, the guy had 10 catches for 102 yards last year. That's it. I don't understand the delusion of thinking that anywhere in those 10, count them, 10 catches did he prove himself as a #2 WR in the NFL. All of you saying that he's "the guy" we could've had starting opposite Evans and he would be good may be right, but it's highly unlikely. Owens was out there, he's a proven superstar in this league, Lee needed help, and we signed him. We should all be ticked that Kelsay is getting paid about the same as T.O. That's pretty outrageous. More pressing needs than some one to help free up our #1 who gets doubled and even tripled all game long? Yeah, like a guy who can actually get to the QB from a 3-point stance. WR was a need and it has been addressed. Mr. Kelsay, your position is next B-)

Look, I like Steve Johnson as much as anyone else on this board to a certain extent. I saw him play a bit in college and he just seems to have a certain swag about him. Either way, the guy had 10 catches for 102 yards last year. That's it. I don't understand the delusion of thinking that anywhere in those 10, count them, 10 catches did he prove himself as a #2 WR in the NFL. All of you saying that he's "the guy" we could've had starting opposite Evans and he would be good may be right, but it's highly unlikely. Owens was out there, he's a proven superstar in this league, Lee needed help, and we signed him. We should all be ticked that Kelsay is getting paid about the same as T.O. That's pretty outrageous. More pressing needs than some one to help free up our #1 who gets doubled and even tripled all game long? Yeah, like a guy who can actually get to the QB from a 3-point stance. WR was a need and it has been addressed. Mr. Kelsay, your position is next B-)

Is TO a wr that comes back into a play and helps out a QB under duress?