Florida Boat Accident Survivor: 2 NFL Players Gave Up Hope

SKOOBY

It seems weird to hear about big tough NFL players just giving up but that just goes to show how important it is plan ahead for the elements because they are a lot tougher than we are.

I know nothing about boats but it seems that maybe they could put a covered hatch on the bottom of the boat that opened to a sort of padded bed that has a heater for the padding and several gallons of fresh water that can be sucked out through a straw and a little closed cabinet with some food stored away. They would have one on each side of the boat to balance it out for two people and if only one person is on board there is a way to move some ballast over to even out the floating. It could even have a folded umbrella to keep the sun out.

This would be an extremely expensive option but for those who could afford it they would be smart to include it. If that's even viable.

Just a thought.

Or he could have installed one of these as was apparently suggested to him a few days prior to the incident. What a tragedy.

It's not that they gave up hope. Hypothermia causes people to do crazy things, which they would never do in their right mind. Lost hikers in winter weather are often found completely naked; one of the stages of hypothermia is to feel extremely hot, leading to the removal of whatever clothing the victim might be wearing. It's unfortunate, but it shouldn't be taken as an indication of the character of these men.

I might be one of the few to have experienced hypthermia on this board. When I was 13 years old, i was a good mile back in the woods, walking along a stream. The snow to make our way back there was waist deep. My friend had thos waist high wading boots walking in the stream for fun, it was late winter and the stream was raging from some melting snow. i was walking alongside fo the stream in full snow gear and winter boots. a hill i was standing on along side fo the stream happened to be some branches and leaves covered with snow. To make a long story short i fell in to an icy pool of water up to about my forehead. I was able to touch bottom and kind of get a springing action going, and got high enough to get my chest onto the ground and pull myself out. i was in the water for about 60 seconds. My body was numb, but my extremities fingers, toes etc were very painful. I wanted to give up and just chill in the woods in the snow, telling my friend to go home and tell my mom to come get me. Obviously impossible. he kept telling me to keep walking. i kept wanting to give up. About 30 minutes later exhausted and freezing and out of the woods walking back home on the streets, my feet felt as if they were 3 ft ice blocks, I could barely walk. I proceeded to take my boots and socks off (for no apparent reason, and the street felt as if it was 100 degrees. It was great feeling. i got all the way down to my T-shirt jeans and barefeet walking home a few streets. It felt warmer, in the middle of the winter. So when people are found naked and are delirious, I can completely understand why. You body tricks you. I went home and took a shower until the hot water ran out and i was still shivering. Maybe why his story keeps changing?

When sheet hits the fan, its survival of the fittest, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were only 1-2 life jackets and they had to "fight" over them or take turns using them. In addition the NFL players probably had very little body fat to keep warm.

It seems weird to hear about big tough NFL players just giving up but that just goes to show how important it is plan ahead for the elements because they are a lot tougher than we are.

I know nothing about boats but it seems that maybe they could put a covered hatch on the bottom of the boat that opened to a sort of padded bed that has a heater for the padding and several gallons of fresh water that can be sucked out through a straw and a little closed cabinet with some food stored away. They would have one on each side of the boat to balance it out for two people and if only one person is on board there is a way to move some ballast over to even out the floating. It could even have a folded umbrella to keep the sun out.

This would be an extremely expensive option but for those who could afford it they would be smart to include it. If that's even viable.

Just a thought.

may as well have a jetski hidden in there as well. the best option, which in their wase would not have worked would be an inflatable boat. it too would have capsized though.

may as well have a jetski hidden in there as well. the best option, which in their wase would not have worked would be an inflatable boat. it too would have capsized though.

A life raft would be ok but it doesn't have room for fresh water and food. Also by staying with the boat they would be with the transponder.

The families of missing players give up search.

(CNN) -- The family of an NFL player that had vowed to continue the search for him and two other boaters missing off the coast of Florida announced Friday that they are giving up.

"Thursday at 5 p.m., we received new information on the events of last Saturday and decided to discontinue the search for Marquis," Bruce Cooper, Marquis Cooper's father, said in a written statement.

"We want to thank everyone in Arizona, Tampa, and all over the United States for their thoughts, well-wishes, prayers and volunteer efforts on our behalf. We especially want to thank the members of the U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Air Force, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife agency for their extraordinary and courageous efforts to rescue Marquis and his friends."

Oakland Raiders linebacker Cooper, NFL free agent Corey Smith and William Bleakley, a former college football player, went missing after their fishing boat capsized Saturday. Authorities think the boat flipped as the men tried to lift anchor.

The Coast Guard rescued one man, Nick Schuyler, on Monday but called off the search Tuesday, saying that any other survivors would have been found by then.

:lol:

The families of missing players give up search.

(CNN) -- The family of an NFL player that had vowed to continue the search for him and two other boaters missing off the coast of Florida announced Friday that they are giving up.

"Thursday at 5 p.m., we received new information on the events of last Saturday and decided to discontinue the search for Marquis," Bruce Cooper, Marquis Cooper's father, said in a written statement.

"We want to thank everyone in Arizona, Tampa, and all over the United States for their thoughts, well-wishes, prayers and volunteer efforts on our behalf. We especially want to thank the members of the U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Air Force, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife agency for their extraordinary and courageous efforts to rescue Marquis and his friends."

Oakland Raiders linebacker Cooper, NFL free agent Corey Smith and William Bleakley, a former college football player, went missing after their fishing boat capsized Saturday. Authorities think the boat flipped as the men tried to lift anchor.

The Coast Guard rescued one man, Nick Schuyler, on Monday but called off the search Tuesday, saying that any other survivors would have been found by then.