Roy Williams

Roy Williams was let go in Dallas. He is a SS. The Bills have hinted at maybe playing Whitner at FS so his coverage skills can be utilized more. Williams was a beast when the Cowboys played the 4-3 like Buffalo does now. However he has seen his production drop in the new 3-4 scheme of the Cowboys. I am not sure what his cost would be. However he is 28y/o. So he is not too old. He did have injuries last year, so the price might not be too crazy on him. This is a guy worth a phone call and a visit. If he and his agent are realistic about his worth.

you're kidding right? the guy couldnt cover me right now

Roy Williams was let go in Dallas. He is a SS. The Bills have hinted at maybe playing Whitner at FS so his coverage skills can be utilized more. Williams was a beast when the Cowboys played the 4-3 like Buffalo does now. However he has seen his production drop in the new 3-4 scheme of the Cowboys. I am not sure what his cost would be. However he is 28y/o. So he is not too old. He did have injuries last year, so the price might not be too crazy on him. This is a guy worth a phone call and a visit. If he and his agent are realistic about his worth.

NO WAY, THIS GUY IS HORRIBLE IN COVERAGE. HE IS CONSTANTLY GETTING BURNED DEEP. I WOULD RATHER TAKE MY CHANCES WITH SCOTT.

It would be a great pickup for use against run-heavy teams...his coverage skills suck, but he's still a premier run-stopping SS. Bring him aboard for a year and let Donte roam free as the FS. Ironically, back in 2002 this was the guy I was hoping we'd draft at #4.

The question to whether Roy Williams would make sense in Buffalo depends completely on one person: DONTE WHITNER. If he is the real deal he should be able to handle cover 1's on running downs, and compensate for Williams' lack of coverage ability.

To be honest though, our zones are so soft I can't imagine him being any worse than Bryan Scott, and would certainly be an upgrade in run support.

Like I said, it's up to the coaching staff to evaluate whether Whitner is really a good enough FS to compensate for a liability in coverage at SS. Personally, I say go for it if the price is reasonable. Give Whitner a chance be the player he thinks he is.