Time to ditch the 4-3

There is a reason that more and more teams are switching to a 3-4 defense, and maybe the Bills should as well. It provides a lot more flexibility, especially for the pass rush. Since the Bills are sticking with the 4-3 Tampa 2, they do not have the capability to practice against what the majority of their opponents will use against them. The Bills defensive line is getting long in the tooth, and one of the key components of the 4-3 is having DEs that can MOVE. Old guys don't fit that category. Considering that upgrading the majority of the D-Line needs or will need replacing, perhaps the time is right to shift to the 3-4.

There is a reason that more and more teams are switching to a 3-4 defense, and maybe the Bills should as well. It provides a lot more flexibility, especially for the pass rush. Since the Bills are sticking with the 4-3 Tampa 2, they do not have the capability to practice against what the majority of their opponents will use against them. The Bills defensive line is getting long in the tooth, and one of the key components of the 4-3 is having DEs that can MOVE. Old guys don't fit that category. Considering that upgrading the majority of the D-Line needs or will need replacing, perhaps the time is right to shift to the 3-4.

its not the system we run, its the lack of quality players we have on defense. 0 pro bowlers on defense? how is our d supposed to flourish in any system?

They will have to cut most of the players to be able to play 3-4. You will need a big nose guard (who we don't have), big ILB, big blitzing linebackers on both side and defensive end that can stop the run. We have trouble stopping the run with two defensive tackles right now. If we play 3-4, we may as well stop defending the run plays.

It wouldn't be the off-season without a thousand "switch to a 3-4" threads. :rolleyes:

...and yet...I cannot....resist....

We don't have the ends or a NT to play a 3-4. We could, of course, go out and sign Igor as one end, try to draft a NT, and perhaps move Stroud and Kyle Williams to ends and Schoebel to OLB...but will that really work?

It wouldn't be the off-season without a thousand "switch to a 3-4" threads. :rolleyes:

...and yet...I cannot....resist....

We don't have the ends or a NT to play a 3-4. We could, of course, go out and sign Igor as one end, try to draft a NT, and perhaps move Stroud and Kyle Williams to ends and Schoebel to OLB...but will that really work?

No, it wouldn't.

its not the system we run, its the lack of quality players we have on defense. 0 pro bowlers on defense? how is our d supposed to flourish in any system?

You're right, we need talent. We havent had someone that could pick talent since Polian. Thus far, I have not seen any indications that the Bills are changing their unsuccessful attempts to build a team.

Russ Brandon doesn't know the difference between NFL talent and a kitchen sink. Im as frustrated with this offseason as I am with the 08 season....and its only been a few weeks.

You're right, we need talent. We havent had someone that could pick talent since Polian. Thus far, I have not seen any indications that the Bills are changing their unsuccessful attempts to build a team.

Russ Brandon doesn't know the difference between NFL talent and a kitchen sink. Im as frustrated with this offseason as I am with the 08 season....and its only been a few weeks.

Russ Brandon doesn't pick players.

It's been a while since a 'switch to the 3-4 thread came up.'

Now is the WORST time to do that, since every team in the league is getting on board. Drop the T2, whatever, but don't go in for the same personnel overhaul as a dozen other teams. It'll just leave you in deeper competition for talent.

I don't disagree with you. But, the coaches we have are married to the 4-3....