Who will we draft?

Justice

Well, there is that.

I was just replying to the poster who said Poz was a prototypical MLB. :rolleyes:

Well, truthfully, it depends on how you look at it. He does have good ball instincts and is always around the play. However, when it comes to defensive adjustments I don't think he's got that part down yet...which is one reason I prefer vets at MLB. I do think he could be more effective with an Dline that can hit someone behind the line of scrimmage for a change.

It has become quite evident that the Bills draft players to fill a hole that they, themselves, create by not re-signing their own. It never fails. We draft McKelvin just to let Greer walk. We draft Whitner because we let Lawyer walk. We draft Lynch because we let McGahee go. We draft McGahee so that we can let Henry leave. We draft Poz because we let Fletcher go. The list goes on and on. It's a never ending cycle that keeps the Bills' progress stagnant. That's why we're always 7 and 9. This team will never get better if we don't keep our own and use the draft to supplement the talent that's already on the roster.

So, who will we draft? Will it be a DE because we plan on releasing Kelsay or Schobel next year? Will it be a DT because we don't expect Stroud to stick around?

Anybody know whose contract is up next year?

You are so right...

Never stepped back and looked at it like that, but they do clearly set the stage for the hole they need to fill by looking at the free agents on the team that will have market value because they are performers and then deciding ahead of time not to compete to sign them. The list does continue with several other examples, but there is no guarantee that you are going to find a player to fill that void. And you are right, that is why this team often feels like it is just spinning its wheels - they are in a constant cycle of 2 steps forward 2 steps back. Many times they have never been able to fill that hole they create. Look at the debacle of letting Pat Williams go. The Bills have been hurting on the interior line ever since.

The Pat Williams one really chapped my you-know-what because Pat was a good locker room guy and just wanted to be paid like other starting DT - not the highest mind you, he signed for roughly 4.4 mil a year and a signing bonus with the Vikes. And here we are years later lamenting the fact that we do not have a DT that can stop the run yet pressure the pocket on passing downs and that is exactly what we had in Pat. Colleagues of mine out here in the Twin Cities can't help but thank me and the Buffalo Bills organization for being such a wonderful farm team for them.

I understand that some teams can pull off the roulette of turnover simply because they have very sound coaching, system, and talent evaluators. Damn you Patriots.....Damn you (I really need an emoticon that is shaking its fist towards the heavens)

:rolleyes:

You are so right...

Never stepped back and looked at it like that, but they do clearly set the stage for the hole they need to fill by looking at the free agents on the team that will have market value because they are performers and then deciding ahead of time not to compete to sign them. The list does continue with several other examples, but there is no guarantee that you are going to find a player to fill that void. And you are right, that is why this team often feels like it is just spinning its wheels - they are in a constant cycle of 2 steps forward 2 steps back. Many times they have never been able to fill that hole they create. Look at the debacle of letting Pat Williams go. The Bills have been hurting on the interior line ever since.

The Pat Williams one really chapped my you-know-what because Pat was a good locker room guy and just wanted to be paid like other starting DT - not the highest mind you, he signed for roughly 4.4 mil a year and a signing bonus with the Vikes. And here we are years later lamenting the fact that we do not have a DT that can stop the run yet pressure the pocket on passing downs and that is exactly what we had in Pat. Colleagues of mine out here in the Twin Cities can't help but thank me and the Buffalo Bills organization for being such a wonderful farm team for them.

I understand that some teams can pull off the roulette of turnover simply because they have very sound coaching, system, and talent evaluators. Damn you Patriots.....Damn you (I really need an emoticon that is shaking its fist towards the heavens)

B-)

How can I forget Big Pat? We wasted free agency dollars on Tripplet a third and a fifth rounder trying to replace what we already had. :rolleyes:

How can I forget Big Pat? We wasted free agency dollars on Tripplet a third and a fifth rounder trying to replace what we already had. :rolleyes:

You are 100% spot on with that. Letting Pat Williams go was the worst move we've made in the last decade.