What, realistically, would have to happen for the Bills to Contend

Virgil

Here's what needs to happen:

Free Agency/offseason moves

1. Coles is signed and can produce his 2008 numbers.

2. We sign or trade for a competent LG that is at least a marginal upgrade over Douchebag Dockery.

3. Peters is extended and gets his fat, lazy ass to OTAs and camp

Draft

1. we draft an impact pass rusher(s) at DE, preferably not a white, high-motor guy.

2. We draft a solid receiving threat at TE. He is ready to play on day one.

3. We draft a LB that's an upgrade over Ellison

Players

1. Trent takes another step. Plays at least 14 games.

2. ML's suspension is short and/or Fred Jackson can carry the load while he's out. Jackson plays like the end of last year.

3. Evans becomes a 10-15 TD guy with Coles in the lineup.

4. Josh Reed stays healthy.

5. Peters returns to 2007 form and stays healthy. Butler stays healthy.

6. Schobel returns healthy, gets double-digit sacks with help on the other side.

7. Whitner is embarrassed by his 08 performance and takes a step forward.

8. Youboty picks up where he left off and contributes to nickel blitz again.

9. Leodis takes a step forward at CB.

10. Poz disrupts the backfield more.

11. Stroud stays healthy

12. Trent/Evans or ML steal a couple games with big performances to offset coaching blunders.

Coaching

1. Dick really does improve game management.

2. Dick gets team ready to play in the 1st quarter. Not the second half.

3. Dick ends infatuation with deferring and gets the offense on the field first.

4. Kugler gets his head out of his a** and gets these guys physical. Or else fans throw him in Erie canal and float him back to Lockport and we beg Mouse to come back for a season.

5. Turk remains committed to the run like the last 3 games. Only asks Trent to make 2-3 big plays in the passing game a game.

6. Bobby April doesn't get run over by bus (or by Marshawn)

Schedule/AFC

1. Some opponents not as strong as they appear. God knows we won't outcoach them.

2. Pats D fails them, we steal a game. Because there's no way Golden Boy and Moss don't come back strong.

3. Jets don't get an answer at QB.

4. Miami takes a step back. Especially Pennington.

5. 10 games gets a wild card, not 11+

We hit 80% of these, we got a shot at the wild card. IMHO, of course.

This is, by far, the best plan I've heard out of anyone.

I'm still not sold on Coles and I don't know if there is an impact TE in the draft. However, I think Fine can be that guy. But still, overall I like it.

We can't changed what's already happened. It's done. We know that a good majority of the fans out there are unhappy with our coaching situation, how the season ended, and what how our current offseason is going.

Now, Ralph know's that he has to have the confidence of the fans to sell tickets next year and, due to last years collapse, the normal optimism really isn't going to cut it. When you blow a 5-1 lead, you really have to do something to earn the faith of your fanbase.

So, the question is, what would the Bills have to do going forward to make you believe in their ability to contend next season? I'm not asking what it would take for you to support the team. (I'm not opening that one). I'm asking what would it take in the offseason, and maybe even into the season to make you believe the Bills will have a shot at the playoffs.

Right now, I believe that a team lives and dies by their QB, unless you have an amazing D like the Ravens and Titans last year. Case and point, look at the games when Trent played scared and JP played....well whenever JP played. I don't know which Trent Edwards is going to show up next year and Fitzpatrick, I believe, would have to compete to be a back-up on most other teams. I would love to see the team trade for Cutler, even if it's a first because I don't think that there is a player out there at 11 who would bring a better value to us. But, I don't see this happening. (While in the realm of not happening, I would also trade for Owen Daniels from the Texans. Once again, I don't really see anyone outside the top 5 bringing more value to the team than this guy.)

What do I really think they can do, nothing. There isn't enough talent in this year's draft to make that much of a difference and while I believe that many of the Free Agents so far have gotten overpaid, that was what needed to be done to bring talnet to the team, and it's money we had. Plus, Brady being back puts the Pats back on top and there is rumor of Peppers going there which...well, you know. The Jets appear to be building a solid D, but their offense is still a mystery and who knows if the Phins can repeat last years success. No matter what, the Pats still have us beat and the Jet's pry do too.

Unfortunately, due to how the team collapsed last year, the normal pre-season marketing of having a great group of young guys with great potential isn't going to cut it. I don't say this out of spite, because there is nothing more that I want than to see this team succeed. Unfortunately, I just see us slipping more and more down the ranks of respectability with the Lions.

And for all the fans out there saying, "it's only been a few days, calm down", please let us know what it is that has you excited about next season, or what you are hoping to see happen. I'm hoping it's not just blind faith.

This is what will keep us out of the playoffs for ten more years. Trading the 11th pick for Owen Daniels??? no way

I like all of poeticlaw's points.

This is a point that I would like to see discussed. People are always so against trading picks, but what do the picks normally turn into?

Honestly, if Owen Daniels was a player you could select at number 11, would you not do it. He is everything we want in a TE. If you look at it like that, then I would do it.

This is, by far, the best plan I've heard out of anyone.

I'm still not sold on Coles and I don't know if there is an impact TE in the draft. However, I think Fine can be that guy. But still, overall I like it.

I think Coles fits our needs very well. He's like Reed, but plays outside and has a nose for the endzone. You think 8 TDs on the other side of Evans might pull some coverage off? I do. It may get Reed in the endzone more and open up things for a new TE or Fine/Schouman as well.

I think we can go to the playoffs with the team we have now.

In other words, I think our coaching is so spectacularly bad that they are losing us most of our games. I believe our offensive coaching is the worst in the NFL. I watch our games on film, and I can predict the play more than half of the time. The other players can too, because they all rush to the right place before they could possibly be expected to react.