States Admit Death Penalty Is Too Costly

Well, perhaps this belongs in another thread but by the conventional "wisdom" of this board, human life (except Muslims, blacks, and liberals of course, and maybe gays too depending on who's posting) is sacred. Hence there must be SOME justification for taking it, whether punishment/retribution, justice, or deterrance of future crimes.

I don't care if Dahmer suffered or not...well actually, I sorta hope he did.

I don't think anyone here's ever said that blacks' lives are worthless. Though I'll grant you the other examples.

Again, my point isn't that there shouldn't be justification. My point is there shouldn't be passionate justification. One shouldn't rush to take life...but one should nevertheless be willing to admit - regretfully - that it is occasionally necessary.

There's so many things that come into the DPdebate. Should they kill the !@#$ers that are proven without a doubt? YES!

Should the people who may have been convicted without a reasonable doubt be executed? NO. Technology today, I'm sure has eliminated some of the wrongful convictions that I'm sure that happened. Do Innocent people die in our society? YES. How many ways would you like to spin this?

I don't think anyone here's ever said that blacks' lives are worthless. Though I'll grant you the other examples.

Again, my point isn't that there shouldn't be justification. My point is there shouldn't be passionate justification. One shouldn't rush to take life...but one should nevertheless be willing to admit - regretfully - that it is occasionally necessary.

As long as people can understand that because nothing is perfect and putting people to death is going to include mistakes. I'd rather house them for life, the cheaper alternative, instead of put them to death.

There's so many things that come into the DPdebate. Should they kill the !@#$ers that are proven without a doubt? YES!

Should the people who may have been convicted without a reasonable doubt be executed? NO. Technology today, I'm sure has eliminated some of the wrongful convictions that I'm sure that happened. Do Innocent people die in our society? YES. How many ways would you like to spin this?

How can you separate the fully guilty from partially guilty in the law? How do you differentiate those. What if it's a case that falls in the middle? How do you word that law? I agree that the totally guilty deserve to die but I can't see how an airtight perfect system could ever be made.

As far as your attitude about, what seems to be, the innocent people who would be put to death you're very callous. A lot of people out there have a "life is tough" attitude about things they are very sure will never happen to them. If it did happen to you I'm sure your attitude of "Oh well it happens" would fly out the window PDQ. IMO, you can't go through life with blinders on. You have to put yourself in the shoes of others to truly understand the problem. It seems that too many people don't want to bother with that because it would destroy their world view.

Try to think about a scenario that, God forbid, would ever have you falsely accused of a crime and convicted. How would you feel and what would your opinion of the law be then?