I'm wondering what additions the Bills will make in free agency.

Tipster19

I'm on board with the Bills going after the Ravens' C Jason Brown. As a poster pointed out in an earlier post he's a good runblocker who is a solid player against the 3-4 defense. I've been wanting the Bills to get him 2 years ago when he was a RFA. It doesn't hurt that he's a versatile OL. He's more than capable of playing the G position also.

Speaking of Baltimore, it wouldn't shock me if the Bills land up snagging up QB Kyle Boller once he's released. The guy was making strides each year and really started showing some moxie in limited opportunities in the '06 and '07 seasons. He would be a clear back-up and would be a very inexpensive investment. This of course would be based on him being cleared medically from his shoulder injury. If I'm not mistaken he has been in direct competition with Losman since his high school and early college days. How ironic that would be.

I can't see the Bills going after another WR early in this year's draft. They would be better served to sign a veteran in FA and it looks like the Steelers' WR Nate Washington won't be back with them this year. I wouldn't be comfortable counting too much on Hardy this year and I sure don't want to see Lee Evans get wasted by not having a solid compliment playing opposite to him and I believe that Washington could fulfill this role admirably. He would be acquired at a very good value and is accustomed to playing in cold weather. In addition to all of this the guy is a real burner also.

I think that if the Bills could get RB Fred Taylor it would be a shrewd move but I'm not holding my breath on this one. I would love to see Buffalo step up and make a move for RB Derrick Ward. Unfortunately I don't see either of these RBs making their way to Buffalo but I believe that the Bills do need to fortify this position, especially since Lynch doesn't seem to be a player that we can totally rely on. If anybody has a suggestion on who could be a good addition for us at this position it would be greatly appreciated.

One team's salary cap casualty/new management could be another team's gain. Not an original suggestion but the former Jet TE Al Baker would be a good one. What better than to sign another player from the division who I'm pretty sure would love to make the Jets sorry for getting rid of him.

Last but not least is addressing another DE for a more solid rotation. Newly released DE Kalimba Edwards might fit this need nicely. Here's another veteran player who would be reasonably priced and should be effective as a role player.

Good post Tipster.

Everyone wants to see the flashy big name free agent signings and certainly Jason Brown would be along those lines.

However the Bills will undoubtedly need to make some depth solidification and "B" starter signings like last year with Spencer Johnson and Kawika Mitchell.

Your scenario is an educated guess like all of ours but there's some sound rationales for all the players you name. Players like Kalimba Edwards aren't going to get a lot of people excited but every team has players like that on the roster who can contribute.

As much as we need more top notch talent on this team we also need to improve our depth players.

Speaking of Baltimore, it wouldn't shock me if the Bills land up snagging up QB Kyle Boller once he's released. The guy was making strides each year and really started showing some moxie in limited opportunities in the '06 and '07 seasons. He would be a clear back-up

Boller blows, the only thing you got right was "back-up". I predict he is out of the league within 3 years.

I do like Brown, but there is a lot of other teams that do too.

You'll have the potential for a QB controversy if Boller comes to Buffalo. Trent is the starter, but Boller's big arm will be enough for some of the armchair QB's out there.

Jason Brown will get a big contract, probably in excess of what LeCharles Bentley received a few years back from Cleveland. I'm hopeful Buffalo re-signs Peters, and if so, that would mean big deals for three of their five starting OL, with Walker and Butler more modest deals. I'm not so sure the Bills will go after a free agent at C. I think they address this in the draft.

I'm consistently amazed at how many distinct needs the Bills hit the off-season with. This year it's C, DE, OLB, and TE in no particular order. Last year it was DT, WR, CB, TE. The year before (06) it was a host of things as the team built the team up post-Donahoe. At some point they should be close, and to get there, it's going to take a stellar draft and free agency. If not, they'll be victimized as they were in the final 10 games this year.

Boller blows, the only thing you got right was "back-up". I predict he is out of the league within 3 years.

I do like Brown, but there is a lot of other teams that do too.

While Boller does suck as a full time starting QB, I think he's proven that he's a more than capable #2. I wouldn't mind him as the backup qb.