Anyone Familiar with Adventistism?

Despite my current agnostic bent, I was raised Roman Catholic, so that's my frame of reference. I want to know what my kids might be learning should we decide to enroll them in a Adventist-based Pre-K program.

Google has been uncharacteristically unhelpful so far.

Despite my current agnostic bent, I was raised Roman Catholic, so that's my frame of reference. I want to know what my kids might be learning should we decide to enroll them in a Adventist-based Pre-K program.

is that 7th day adventist? Radical mormons basically.

celebrate the sabbath

Wiki says they're "second coming" conservative Protestants, ie Jesus is coming back, etc.

Question though, as a recovering Catholic and an agnostic-leaning-towards-atheism myself, after having gone through and successfully escaped from the Roman Catholic indoctrination, why on earth would you want to put your children into a school run by an even more fringe religion?

Not sure, I'm going to look into it further. We don't have to make a decision until the fall.

Does that mean they believe all the Joseph Smith (South Park) stuff?

Not quite sure. It's what my Morman friends call them. I think a lot of the belief structure is similar, not sure they folow the extra book though? They also are Jewish in nature in that they do Church on Saturday. beyond that, got me.

Wiki says they're "second coming" conservative Protestants, ie Jesus is coming back, etc.

Question though, as a recovering Catholic and an agnostic-leaning-towards-atheism myself, after having gone through and successfully escaped from the Roman Catholic indoctrination, why on earth would you want to put your children into a school run by an even more fringe religion?

Yeah he should do the whole scientologist thing. :sick:

Don't you have any other options? Is it due to location or cost? Maybe you can find some parents like yourself who aren't part of that tribe but sent their kids there, to get an objective view. I'd be cautious about sending impressionable kids into a setting that may try to indoctrinate them into their religious beliefs.

Don't you have any other options? Is it due to location or cost? Maybe you can find some parents like yourself who aren't part of that tribe but sent their kids there, to get an objective view. I'd be cautious about sending impressionable kids into a setting that may try to indoctrinate them into their religious beliefs.

It just came up today. My wife called me and told me she was going to check a preschool out and went in blind, but came out of it with a positive view. She said it's a lot like the Catholic schools we both attended growing up. My experience at the schools I attended was positive in general.

My agnostic views come more from an increased understanding of Cosmology, Evolution and Skepticism than any negative experience I had as a Catholic. At worst, I think I may have wasted some time worrying about Hell, praying, etc..., but I think I probably also learned some good lessons along the way. I intend to expose my kids to both sides of this stuff and let them decide for themselves. It's good to believe in things when you're a child. In the end, I view my journey away from religion as a positive experience that I could never have had without first believing.

After reading some of your posts, they do sound kind of crazy. I'm leaning towards not...

Proudly Catholic, no need to recover from the truth... but anyway...

7 Day Adventists believe in Saturday Sabbaths from Jewish law, as well as unclean meats from Mossaic law. They are a weird eclectic band of people converted from Baptists who believed that Our Lord would return in the 1840's, ergo the name Adventist. When that didn't happen there factions went in different directions.

They are very opposed to the Catholic Church out of all religions by manner of teaching and emphasis.

I also recommend you relearn your own faith in a traditional fashion, and not in the neo-liberal, modernist fashion. You might find it extremely refreshing in this world with its depth in philosophy and theology. Go read St. Francis de Sales or St. Alphonsus Liguori.

Oh, and Gene, Cosmology is what helped me. I guess it depends if your cosmology starts the proper epistemology first and foremost. Most colleges retard the intellect with their crypto-atheism they preach as a religion vs. unbiased mediums of learning.

7 Day Adventists believe in Saturday Sabbaths from Jewish law, as well as unclean meats from Mossaic law. They are a weird eclectic band of people converted from Baptists who believed that Our Lord would return in the 1840's, ergo the name Adventist. When that didn't happen there factions went in different directions.

Those two statements are funny.

They are very opposed to the Catholic Church out of all religions by manner of teaching and emphasis.

I also recommend you relearn your own faith in a traditional fashion, and not in the neo-liberal, modernist fashion. You might find it extremely refreshing in this world with its depth in philosophy and theology. Go read St. Francis de Sales or St. Alphonsus Liguori.

Oh, and Gene, Cosmology is what helped me. I guess it depends if your cosmology starts the proper epistemology first and foremost. Most colleges retard the intellect with their crypto-atheism they preach as a religion vs. unbiased mediums of learning.

No insult intended, but you're wasting your time if you're trying to re-convert me. Your religion is no more or less strange than any other. Personally, I now subscribe exclusively to The Force.

Thanks for the actual information you provided about 7 Day Adventists here. In a perfect world you would have stopped there, but thanks all the same.

OK, this is bothering me. This is going completely off topic, but I got what I needed out of the thread I think. I really don't care what your views are on colleges - they're irrelevant. My views on this were acquired on my own, outside of any academic institution.

Where do you see a need for God in our current understanding of Cosmology and the origin of the Universe? I guess you could say that God started the Big Bang and, partly because we'll probably never know what came before the Big Bang, and partly because God cannot be logically proved or disproved, I won't argue that. You obviously take it farther than that, but I think it's dishonest to try to tie your faith to Cosmology and the origin of the Universe. Please explain if you like.