Today boded quite well for Losman!!!

I'm not sure what all the angst on TSW about Bledsoe's performance was today. The summary I take today from Bledsoe's performance is that there is no rush to at all to move JP into the starting line-up.

Even if you judge Bledsoe to have sucked today, the bottomline is that this team can beat a bad team in a laugher even with unimpressive (as you kind folks put it) play from our QB, Why rush JP along before he is fully healthy physically (as folks who demand that he play and play right now do) and why rush him along befiore he is ready mentally (knows and learns NFL offenses and defenses and get his mechanics down) when we can win the way we did today.

Certainly today was at home against a bad team so no one should expect the Bills to win laughers with unimpressive QB play on the road and/or against good teams. However, full speed ahead with Bledsoe in the saddle against the Jets at home next week and we will see what happens against a better team.

Assuming Bledsoe survives and the Bills as a team play like we know they can and we want them to next week against the Jets, it strikes me as great entertainment and good football to send the Bills to NE and to challenge Bledsoe to step into the belly of the beast and take on BB.

If he survives that game we'll see. If he actually is on a Bills team which wins on the road in NE and comes out of that game 4-5 I think it will be hard for anyone to argue that Bledsoe will be benched and it will be good news for the Bills as a healthy Losman can really focus his time and effort where I perceive he needs to as a rookie which is learning the NFL playbook from reading and videotape and ironing out his mechanics on the practice field getting reps under the watchful eyes of Wyche.

This would be fairly typical of rookie QBs. This would not condemn Losman to a losing season next year as folks such as Pennington and Vick have demonstrated one can sit as a freshman QB and lead your team to the playoffs your second year. This would be consistent with the good points JP has shown (you only learn to play at NFL speeds by playing and you learn to be an effective leader by building on the confidence of success), I think his athleticism and leadership qualities are well developed areas in JP so though he must play its not the first priority in his development, and also is consistent with his weaknesses (JP like any rookie needs to learn the NFL and has a rep for bad mechanics like throwing off balance as he ran for his life at Tulane and both of these facets are best learned off field with the books, tape and repetitious practice)/

Rag on Drew all you want. Assessments of his play as unimpressive are great. We won big time even with a judgment that his play was bad or unimpressive. This is all the reason a Bills fan should need to let JP take his time and develop at his own speed.

Folks may want him to play now because they want their candy and they want it now (it is Halloween afterall). I hope he does develop quickly and that he is better than Peyton Manning tomorrow. However, I have seen enough football to not expect this wishful thinking to come true.

It's fine with me for MM to sit JP for the entire season if he judges him to be not ready physically or mentally to play and develop into our QB of the future. Goes any Bills fan disagree?

In a perfect world I would not want to rush JP either, although seeing Big Ben take apart the Pats reminds us that there are rookies who can get the job done.

We are at a point in the season where 8-8 or 9-7 is still within reach. The big question is which QB can get us there? Every other facet of the Bills game has improved this year, even the O-line. The only exception is QB! Drew's play has dropped, in my opinion.

Since no one is willing to try Shane Matthews for a few games, I say we give JP a start, but ONLY if his leg is healed. I recall the post made about JP at the Incubus show, and how his leg looked like it was still bothering him. We waited for Willis, we can wait for LP.

But I will say that with DB at QB, we won't do better than 4-12.

PTR

I'm not sure what all the angst on TSW about Bledsoe's performance was today.  The summary I take today from Bledsoe's performance is that there is no rush to at all to move JP into the starting line-up.

Even if you judge Bledsoe to have sucked today, the bottomline is that this team can beat a bad team in a laugher even with unimpressive (as you kind folks put it) play from our QB,  Why rush JP along before he is fully healthy physically (as folks who demand that he play and play right now do) and why rush him along befiore he is ready mentally (knows and learns NFL offenses and defenses and get his mechanics down) when we can win the way we did today.

Certainly today was at home against a bad team so no one should expect the Bills to win laughers with unimpressive QB play on the road and/or against good teams.  However, full speed ahead with Bledsoe in the saddle against the Jets at home next week and we will see what happens against a better team.

Assuming Bledsoe survives and the Bills as a team play like we know they can and we want them to next week against the Jets, it strikes me as great entertainment and good football to send the Bills to NE and to challenge Bledsoe to step into the belly of the beast and take on BB.

If he survives that game we'll see. If he actually is on a Bills team which wins on the road in NE and comes out of that game 4-5 I think it will be hard for anyone to argue that Bledsoe will be benched and it will be good news for the Bills as a healthy Losman can really focus his time and effort where I perceive he needs to as a rookie which is learning the NFL playbook from reading and videotape and ironing out his mechanics on the practice field getting reps under the watchful eyes of Wyche.

This would be fairly typical of rookie QBs.  This would not condemn Losman to a losing season next year as folks such as Pennington and Vick have demonstrated one can sit as a freshman QB and lead your team to the playoffs your second year.  This would be consistent with the good points JP has shown (you only learn to play at NFL speeds by playing and you learn to be an effective leader by building on the confidence of success), I think his athleticism and leadership qualities are well developed areas in JP so though he must play its not the first priority in his development, and also is consistent with his weaknesses (JP like any rookie needs to learn the NFL and has a rep for bad mechanics like throwing off balance as he ran for his life at Tulane and both of these facets are best learned off field with the books, tape and repetitious practice)/

Rag on Drew all you want. Assessments of his play as unimpressive are great.  We won big time even with a judgment that his play was bad or unimpressive.  This is all the reason a Bills fan should need to let JP take his time and develop at his own speed.

Folks may want him to play now because they want their candy and they want it now (it is Halloween afterall).  I hope he does develop quickly and that he is better than Peyton Manning tomorrow.  However, I have seen enough football to not expect this wishful thinking to come true.

It's fine with me for MM to sit JP for the entire season if he judges him to be not ready physically or mentally to play and develop into our QB of the future. Goes any Bills fan disagree?

94030[/snapback]

BLEDSOE CANNOT WIN ON THE ROAD

In a perfect world I would not want to rush JP either, although seeing Big Ben take apart the Pats reminds us that there are rookies who can get the job done.

We are at a point in the season where 8-8 or 9-7 is still within reach.  The big question is which QB can get us there?  Every other facet of the Bills game has improved this year, even the O-line.  The only exception is QB!  Drew's play has dropped, in my opinion.

Since no one is willing to try Shane Matthews for a few games, I say we give JP a start, but ONLY if his leg is healed.  I recall the post made about JP at the Incubus show, and how his leg looked like it was still bothering him.  We waited for Willis, we can wait for LP.

But I will say that with DB at QB, we won't do better than 4-12.

PTR

94039[/snapback]

I guess the main question for me is whether I or we trust the Bills gameday braintrust to make a good judgment on when JP is physically and mentally ready to go.

Given the Bills record, frustration with MM and his crew is understandable. However, rookie HCs are rookie HCs and the bounces of the ball are bounces of the bal. Given the frstrating closeness of how close they have come and the real potential that a home game against a 6 day rest team will allow them to finish the first half 3-5 they certainly will (do) retain the benefit of the doubt from me in terms of their judgments on when to go with JP.

Further, theHC and OC have a clear record of success in understanding how to develop an offensive approach with a QB who has things to learn and change as seen with their work with Kordell and Maddox.

I'm happy to advocate they make their best call on how to develop JP even if this means that call is not to play him until 2005. I hope he is ready sooner, but if there is any doubt finishing 8-8 or 9-7 and still missing the playoffs is simply not worth the cost of rushing along the development of our QB of the future for years to come.