A Busy Offseason

Armchair GM

I may agree with most in that our most apparent need is a pass rushing DE. However, I don't believe the hype on Orapko or Brown. That, coupled with Pettigrew not being a viable downfield threat, I could see the Bills going the LB route with pick 11. Personally I’m thinking ILB as moving Poz to the outside will make him a Pro Bowler. I like Laurinaitis rather Maualuga as the later is a prototypical ILB fit for a 3-4 scheme, not a cover 2. So my 1st pick is James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State.

Rond 2 is where I go DE..., oh forget Julius Peppers, we won't pay what he's going to demand and Carolina will, also it's known that if he moves it's going to be to a team that runs a 3-4. I REALLY like Connor Barwin, DE, Cincinnati here. Can you say STUD. 6'4" 252 lbs. versatile, explosive, and athletic. His '08 campaign yielded 46 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss and 10 sacks. He also has 6 pass break-ups, 4 QB hurries and 3 blocked punts/kicks. Did I mention he was in the TE rotation and had 31 recep for 399 yds and 2 TD's?

The next glaring need to be addressed is a close tie between C and TE...a legit pass catching TE. Looks to me like we don't have time to groom a rookie C, so I like the Bills going hard after Matt Birk in FA. Although the Bills may also look at Owen Daniels too, I'd expect them to go for a TE that can stretch the middle of the field and draw some attention from Mr. Evans. So, with pick 3 I like Chase Coffman, TE, and Missouri.

Initially I thought rd. 4 we would go after a S. I changed my mind when I thought about Jermaine Phillips being a FA from Tampa. This guy is solid, and with Bryan Scott's level of play later in the season, and with the athlete, Wendling, in the mix, I think I'll pass on S's all together this year. Instead, it's my sleeper pick. And why not another RB. Ready for it....Rashad Jennings, Liberty. Big, 230ish, but has cut back ability and speed. Also, he CAN catch the ball out of the backfield.

No, not a receiver... I like the prospect of the Bills signing Amani Toomer. A proven vet that will let Reed move back into the slot where he belongs, and if he continues on the pace he set in '08, I smell Pro Bowl. Not to mention we can get Hardy and/or Johnson involved in more situational type down and distance situations. With that said, although, not a huge priority, being that our existing rotation isn't too bad at DT, we could use a little beef up front on D. A space eater, run stuffing behemoth. Such as the likes of Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman. 6'4" 330, 14 tfl and 4.5 sacks. Big and productive...all the better!

6Th & 7th...Javorskie Lane, FB, Texas A&M. Dude is 6'0 285 lbs. Shorter and heavier than 9/10 of the Lab’s in the NFL...this guy could prove to be a natural true FB, and finally another C in Dallas Reynolds, BYU, 6'5", 328 w/38 consecutive starts. I think this guy could develop into a Jeff Saturday type.

First off, welcome to the board :wallbash:

Laurinaitis Round 1 at pick #11? No. It will be a DE. Brown, Orakpo, English, Johnson, somebody who's main concern is getting to the QB from a 3-point stance.

Barwin Round 2? No. That's a reach for that guy at that position. Also versitile enough that he sounds like a 3-4 outside LB, not a 4-3 DE. We get one of the top 3 players at Center in this round.

Coffman Round 3? He'll be gone before the end of round 2. If he lasts till our pick in round 3 I'd be shocked. We could go TE in this round with James Casey, Jared Cook, Travis Beckum, or Shawn Nelson. My choice would be Casey if he's there. What will we do? Probably a TE unless there's another guy at a different position we have rated higher on our board <_<

A RB in rond 4? :wacko: We have way too many needs on this team to draft a RB at any point in this draft. That doesn't mean our FO won't pull the trigger, but Lord knows they souldn't. I think they take a LB here. Marcus Freeman or Zack Follett maybe.

Sammie Lee Hill in Round 5? :thumbsup: Seems like a quality selection.

Round 6 Javorskie Lane? :thumbsup: Could be an immediate fan favorite in Buffalo once he runs over a couple of defenders and rumbles for 20-30 yards. I like the pick. I would like to have Jamarko Simmons, WR Western Michigan, if he's still here at this slot though he'll probably be gone. If he is there, I'd take the guy in a heartbeat and go FB in the 7th.

Waiting till round 7 to take a Center? Only if we land one of the sought after guys in FA. Other than that, who knows? I'd say FB if we get Simmons in the 6th. But if we were to get Lane in the 6th, I'd say Robert Brewster OT from Ball State. All MAC first team and with 47 consecutive starts you know the guy can stay healthy.

I really don't beleive they'll go after Orapko or Brown, or if they'll even be available @ 11. So, flip flop my 2nd & 3rd pick, if you'd like; however, my research shows this is good positioning for both picks. Then, trade down in the first to get Laurinaitis later which will yeild an additional late round pick to get Simmons/Brewster. The only reason I picked Jennings @ 4 is that I don't beleive Omon will amount to much. Problem solved...?

I may agree with most in that our most apparent need is a pass rushing DE. However, I don't believe the hype on Orapko or Brown. That, coupled with Pettigrew not being a viable downfield threat, I could see the Bills going the LB route with pick 11. Personally I’m thinking ILB as moving Poz to the outside will make him a Pro Bowler. I like Laurinaitis rather Maualuga as the later is a prototypical ILB fit for a 3-4 scheme, not a cover 2. So my 1st pick is James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State.

Rond 2 is where I go DE..., oh forget Julius Peppers, we won't pay what he's going to demand and Carolina will, also it's known that if he moves it's going to be to a team that runs a 3-4. I REALLY like Connor Barwin, DE, Cincinnati here. Can you say STUD. 6'4" 252 lbs. versatile, explosive, and athletic. His '08 campaign yielded 46 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss and 10 sacks. He also has 6 pass break-ups, 4 QB hurries and 3 blocked punts/kicks. Did I mention he was in the TE rotation and had 31 recep for 399 yds and 2 TD's?

The next glaring need to be addressed is a close tie between C and TE...a legit pass catching TE. Looks to me like we don't have time to groom a rookie C, so I like the Bills going hard after Matt Birk in FA. Although the Bills may also look at Owen Daniels too, I'd expect them to go for a TE that can stretch the middle of the field and draw some attention from Mr. Evans. So, with pick 3 I like Chase Coffman, TE, and Missouri.

Initially I thought rd. 4 we would go after a S. I changed my mind when I thought about Jermaine Phillips being a FA from Tampa. This guy is solid, and with Bryan Scott's level of play later in the season, and with the athlete, Wendling, in the mix, I think I'll pass on S's all together this year. Instead, it's my sleeper pick. And why not another RB. Ready for it....Rashad Jennings, Liberty. Big, 230ish, but has cut back ability and speed. Also, he CAN catch the ball out of the backfield.

No, not a receiver... I like the prospect of the Bills signing Amani Toomer. A proven vet that will let Reed move back into the slot where he belongs, and if he continues on the pace he set in '08, I smell Pro Bowl. Not to mention we can get Hardy and/or Johnson involved in more situational type down and distance situations. With that said, although, not a huge priority, being that our existing rotation isn't too bad at DT, we could use a little beef up front on D. A space eater, run stuffing behemoth. Such as the likes of Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman. 6'4" 330, 14 tfl and 4.5 sacks. Big and productive...all the better!

6Th & 7th...Javorskie Lane, FB, Texas A&M. Dude is 6'0 285 lbs. Shorter and heavier than 9/10 of the Lab’s in the NFL...this guy could prove to be a natural true FB, and finally another C in Dallas Reynolds, BYU, 6'5", 328 w/38 consecutive starts. I think this guy could develop into a Jeff Saturday type.

I like where you ar egoing with this, but I still think they go DL in the first round. If they don't like a DE, then they'll take a DT. Unless the entire top of the draft is defense (which I doubt since there should be three OTs that go in the top 10 at least), I expect them to go DL.

I wouldn't mind taking two DLs in the first 3 rounds and think it would be great if they got a DE and DT that could contribute. If not, a center would be a good choice at two.

I don't like taking a RB at all unless it is really late and it would be stupid not to.

I think they have to look at a FB this year since they should have a bit of flexibiltiy due to not having a ton of holes to fill.

Good first post and welcome to the board!

i hate the idea of moving poz to OLB. his speed isn't the greatest, and he looked bad in man coverage last year. how's that supposed to be a benefit to our team if he's going to be doing more of that from the outside?