Zimbabwe agrees to Unity Government

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2009-01-30-mdc-takes-the-plunge

It doesn't look like MDC got any concessions however- I know that their major holdout was control of the police. According to the BBC, they agreed to power sharing, hoping to not be locked out of the process altogether-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7860161.stm

I really doubt this is going to accomplish anything. Until Mugabe dies or relinquishes power, there is no stopping the tailspin Zimbabwe is in. Even then, it might be too late.

It was too late when Mugabe started seizing white farmers' land and giving it to people who had no idea on how to grow anything. Zimbaabwe used to export food. Now there is widespread starvation and recently a Cholera epidemic.

It was too late when Mugabe started seizing white farmers' land and giving it to people who had no idea on how to grow anything. Zimbaabwe used to export food. Now there is widespread starvation and recently a Cholera epidemic.

Definitely, that was one of his most crucial errors. Instead of building off the existing infrastructure of Rhodesia he went on a revenge path, getting all the skilled farmers off the land to give to anybody in Zanu, regardless of whether he was a farmer. I know that the method of liberation was different for Zim and SA, but if Mugabe could've adopted a tone of reconciliation like Mandela would do, Zimbabwe might be a different story altogether.

Why any American would refer to themselves as an Afro-American escapes me.

I think there is something to be said for taking pride in your heritage, community, people, etc., which can exclude the actions of your government. In other words, I think you can still take pride in being African even if a majority of African governments either currently or since liberation have not been a source of pride.

• 4 weeks later...