Patterson Picks NY Senate Appointee

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NYC Dems are not happy down here.....that's a good thing.

I feel like she is going to get "Palin-ed" though....the media wanted Kennedy or Cuomo.

The Gun issue is going to be hard for NYCers to overcome. Rep. McCarthy is already on TV panning the appointment and threatening to find someone to run against her.

Announcement will happen at 12pm.

The Gun issue is going to be hard for NYCers to overcome. Rep. McCarthy is already on TV panning the appointment and threatening to find someone to run against her.

Announcement will happen at 12pm.

And the gay marriage thing.....the Upper West Side and Village neighborhoods are going to lose their minds. The media is going to destroy her.

God forbid someone in the "civil liberties" party be pro 2nd amendment.

See Genie Freckle's post in another thread where he laughably opines that most liberals don't want to take away peoples guns. While there may be a significant body of people who consider themselves Liberals and feel this way, the VAST majority of elected liberals (you know, the ones who make laws) are in favor of various forms of gun control or bans.

See Genie Freckle's post in another thread where he laughably opines that most liberals don't want to take away peoples guns. While there may be a significant body of people who consider themselves Liberals and feel this way, the VAST majority of elected liberals (you know, the ones who make laws) are in favor of various forms of gun control or bans.

Not true, but the city liberals do want to take away guns... There are many small town liberals and folks that go out to the country that feel strong about protecting the 2nd amendment. Myself included... My problem with the NRA is that they don't like the background check, waiting period etc... For libertarian types, I can understand this argument, but for those who have already committed a crime, a system has to be put in place so that access to guns is limited or made more difficult and a crime.

That being said the NRA gun safety classes are world class and it would hurt if even these anti-gun liberals took one of these classes. At least they would know what the heck they were talking about. However, gun violence in the city is intolerable and accidental gun violence with the use of drugs and alcohol is ridiculous everywhere and penalties should be increased.

Not true, but the city liberals do want to take away guns... There are many small town liberals and folks that go out to the country that feel strong about protecting the 2nd amendment. Myself included... My problem with the NRA is that they don't like the background check, waiting period etc... For libertarian types, I can understand this argument, but for those who have already committed a crime, a system has to be put in place so that access to guns is limited or made more difficult and a crime.

That being said the NRA gun safety classes are world class and it would hurt if even these anti-gun liberals took one of these classes. At least they would know what the heck they were talking about. However, gun violence in the city is intolerable and accidental gun violence with the use of drugs and alcohol is ridiculous everywhere and penalties should be increased.

I don't think you and I are too far off on this issue. Why do you feel waiting periods are useful in stopping gun violence? I have no objection to background checks (for the record, I am an NRA member), but think that the whole waiting period issue is simply a feel good elixir for the masses. There are already more than enough laws written that restrict and control guns. They just need to be properly enforced.

I also agree that it is primarily the big city liberals who are the cultural elite that feel strongest about removing our right to arm ourselves. Look at the epileptic fit they're having over the appointment of a 'hick' Democrat. While I don't know this woman, she apparently is one of the Blue Dog Democrats. I'm all for fiscial responsibility, so from what I've read about her, she sounds good for the people of Western NY.

In a 2010 primary she will win NYC in a landslide.

Don't be so sure.....she's anti gay marriage, pro NRA, and lives 3 hours away from the city which New Yorkers look down upon. The think the elite media is going to trash (Palinize) her.

I don't think you and I are too far off on this issue. Why do you feel waiting periods are useful in stopping gun violence? I have no objection to background checks (for the record, I am an NRA member), but think that the whole waiting period issue is simply a feel good elixir for the masses. There are already more than enough laws written that restrict and control guns. They just need to be properly enforced.

I also agree that it is primarily the big city liberals who are the cultural elite that feel strongest about removing our right to arm ourselves. Look at the epileptic fit they're having over the appointment of a 'hick' Democrat. While I don't know this woman, she apparently is one of the Blue Dog Democrats. I'm all for fiscial responsibility, so from what I've read about her, she sounds good for the people of Western NY.

The waiting period is only necessary so that all background, including FBI and out of state background checks can be completed. If they can be completed sooner fine, but I also don't want a bureaucratic system dragging their feet on doing one, so a 7 day waiting period buys time and sets a deadline on both sides. That is my answer to the waiting period deal, because I could see a bureaucratic system taking longer because the checks had not been completed... So my deal is that this is both a waiting period and a bureaucratic deadline...

Technology and system integration may make this mute in the future, but not every area is hooked up... Also, gun show loopholes should be eliminated and photos of all gun owners, like a driver's license should be required. I know, big brother is watching, but autos like guns can be negligently and purposely be used a dangerous weapons and should be licensed...

Also a good way to raise user taxes...., just kidding.... I was being sarcastic, but agree that is a potential problem.

Technology and system integration may make this mute in the future, but not every area is hooked up... Also, gun show loopholes should be eliminated and photos of all gun owners, like a driver's license should be required.

Go ahead and explain what a gun show loophole is.

Don't be so sure.....she's anti gay marriage, pro NRA, and lives 3 hours away from the city which New Yorkers look down upon. The think the elite media is going to trash (Palinize) her.

Dont be so quick to have a knee-jerk reaction to your black and white worldview. You can't "Palin-ize" someone unless they are shallow, unable to answer simple questions and see the world through narrow eyes. The "elite media" is in your head and I bet KG has 70% approval ratings by April. Step away from the blogisphere. No matter what you think the Dem party is much more open to anti-gay, pro NRA views than you'll ever believe.