If you really want to stick it to Ralph

I guess I would say that he's probably done a great deal for the NFL (and AFL). But I would argue that from the moment of the NFL's emergence in the 1958 Colts-Giants Championship game, that professional football in this country was headed on some sort of manifest destiny...in other words it couldn't fail. It's like with terrorists. One dies and others take up the cause. If it wasn't Wilson, or Wellington Mara, or George Halas, or Curly Lambeau, it would have been someone else. It couldn't fail.

I think it's clear what he's done for Buffalo. Not much except take hundreds of millions of dollars out of the community in exchange for...I'm not quite sure. Memories I guess. Wide right...The Music City Miracle...Greatest Comeback Ever...

But it WAS Wilson and the others you mentioned. Doesn't matter if it "would" have been someone else, it wasn't.

I mean you could say "it would have happened anyway..." about anything in any field. If Edison hadn't invented the lightbulb, somebody else would have. If Ford hadn't invented the assembly line, somebody else would have. Why credit anyone with anything if it would have happened anyway? Because, regardless of the future, they did it AT THE TIME.

If anyone currently in the Hall of Fame hadn't done what they did to get in, then somebody else would have. Kinda renders the whole idea of an HOF somewhat superficial.

GO BILLS!!!

But it WAS Wilson and the others you mentioned. Doesn't matter if it "would" have been someone else, it wasn't.

I mean you could say "it would have happened anyway..." about anything in any field. If Edison hadn't invented the lightbulb, somebody else would have. If Ford hadn't invented the assembly line, somebody else would have. Why credit anyone with anything if it would have happened anyway? Because, regardless of the future, they did it AT THE TIME.

If anyone currently in the Hall of Fame hadn't done what they did to get in, then somebody else would have. Kinda renders the whole idea of an HOF somewhat superficial.

GO BILLS!!!

The arguments always get twisted on this site. Its not that you shouldn't honor them or respect him for what they did, but the notion that we owe him anything for what he has done with the team is laughable.

I would argue that he belongs in the HOF for his role as a builder of the league, but I understand those that feel his actions or lack thereof the last ten years or so negate a lot of the good he did.

The arguments always get twisted on this site. Its not that you shouldn't honor them or respect him for what they did, but the notion that we owe him anything for what he has done with the team is laughable.

I would argue that he belongs in the HOF for his role as a builder of the league, but I understand those that feel his actions or lack thereof the last ten years or so negate a lot of the good he did.

Not sure who's twisting arguments and I can't speak for anyone else but I've never felt we owed RW anything. Nor do I feel he owes us anything, either. I'm speaking strictly in terms of meritous actions for the benefit of the entire league. By that measure it's my opinion that he belongs in the HOF.

RW's handling of his own team the last 10 years just doesn't negate what he's contributed to the entire league and shouldn't preclude him from induction. I mean it's not like he's bet against his own team or anything.

Hey, wait a minute...

GO BILLS!!!