The best gauge of Ralph's intentions

IMO.....Ralph's staffing of the front office is the best guage of where he's really headed.

If he brings in more football people (not promotions of existing staff, but new blood), then he is serious about trying to win and is willing to trust experts to run his team for him. Requiring Modrak to reside in WNY would be another small but hopeful sign.

If he keeps the status quo, he is simply "maintaining" the franchise, keeping it afloat until his number is up so his family can sell. This would mean he's content to continue calling all the shots and using his skeleton crew of puppets (Brandon, Modrak, Guy) as the frontmen who are there to give the APPEARANCE of minimal competence.

My read - Ralph is an old school owner who likes to win, but who now realizes that the stakes of the NFL poker game have risen above his comfort level. The economics of the NFL have passed him by, permanently. So he is now just playing out the string, squeezing what he can from the franchise. He is just "keeping his foot in the door" of the NFL because he realizes the most important part of his asset is the NFL brand, which is ultimately highly valuable to his family. Nothing will change until ownership does.

Yes I know.

Since the Bills are never very transparent about their intentions, you have to look at what they do, not what they say. So my point was to say that Ralph's staffing of the front office is the window to their true intentions.

Unfortunately, in this case, nobody should read "future success" into Ralph's statement, because that is not his focus.

IMO.....Ralph's staffing of the front office is the best guage of where he's really headed.

If he brings in more football people (not promotions of existing staff, but new blood), then he is serious about trying to win and is willing to trust experts to run his team for him. Requiring Modrak to reside in WNY would be another small but hopeful sign.

If he keeps the status quo, he is simply "maintaining" the franchise, keeping it afloat until his number is up so his family can sell. This would mean he's content to continue calling all the shots and using his skeleton crew of puppets (Brandon, Modrak, Guy) as the frontmen who are there to give the APPEARANCE of minimal competence.

My read - Ralph is an old school owner who likes to win, but who now realizes that the stakes of the NFL poker game have risen above his comfort level. The economics of the NFL have passed him by, permanently. So he is now just playing out the string, squeezing what he can from the franchise. He is just "keeping his foot in the door" of the NFL because he realizes the most important part of his asset is the NFL brand, which is ultimately highly valuable to his family. Nothing will change until ownership does.

I would agree and cite another example of his mindset. Apparently, RW negotiated the contract with DJ. OK whatever. But his unwillingness to pay coaches is well-known and not going to change. Ever.

We're not sure what DJ is making, but I'm sure it's not in the top half of the NFL.

As far as the front office, there won't be any changes as SB pointed out. Ralph knows the going rate for solid NFL GM's is high, and so he divides that responsibility among Brandon, Modrak, and Guy, with help from Overdorf. He cut his costs by promoting them and not having to hire a GM.

We're just steering the ship straight until it eventually sinks. When fans don't return this coming year like they did in 08, the team will blame the economy without any admission that the product is so poor most fans have stepped away. GG's column, IMO, is what a lot of fans are thinking. Having been at each home game this year, the fans are just fed up-old and new. The decision to keep DJ will put many over the edge.

I would agree and cite another example of his mindset. Apparently, RW negotiated the contract with DJ. OK whatever. But his unwillingness to pay coaches is well-known and not going to change. Ever.

We're not sure what DJ is making, but I'm sure it's not in the top half of the NFL.

As far as the front office, there won't be any changes as SB pointed out. Ralph knows the going rate for solid NFL GM's is high, and so he divides that responsibility among Brandon, Modrak, and Guy, with help from Overdorf. He cut his costs by promoting them and not having to hire a GM.

We're just steering the ship straight until it eventually sinks. When fans don't return this coming year like they did in 08, the team will blame the economy without any admission that the product is so poor most fans have stepped away. GG's column, IMO, is what a lot of fans are thinking. Having been at each home game this year, the fans are just fed up-old and new. The decision to keep DJ will put many over the edge.

A thought about that: Jauron's new contract did, apparently, include a raise. (Reportedly around $2M/yr.) It may also have included more defined discretionary powers with exclusive control over staff and ...

A thought about that: Jauron's new contract did, apparently, include a raise. (Reportedly around $2M/yr.) It may also have included more defined discretionary powers with exclusive control over staff and ...

I found it interesting that Modrak is being taken into the inner-circle. (I wonder if that means, "thank you sir may I have another" with RW administering the blows)

I maintain that DJ had an overwhelming hand in who this team drafted. Taking 7 DB's with 26 picks clinched it for me. If it's true Modrak will have some power, I think it's a swipe more at DJ's personnel moves and even Brandon for being inexperienced. The personnel on this team isn't any better than it was in 2006. (Cue Dean)

I found it interesting that Modrak is being taken into the inner-circle. (I wonder if that means, "thank you sir may I have another" with RW administering the blows)

I maintain that DJ had an overwhelming hand in who this team drafted. Taking 7 DB's with 26 picks clinched it for me. If it's true Modrak will have some power, I think it's a swipe more at DJ's personnel moves and even Brandon for being inexperienced. The personnel on this team isn't any better than it was in 2006. (Cue Dean)

To be fair, the Bills have had a long history of drafting DBs high before Jauron came on to the scene.

To be fair, the Bills have had a long history of drafting DBs high before Jauron came on to the scene.

Buffalo drafted Jeff Burris and Thomas Smith after losing Odomes to UFA back in 93. Before then, they'd taken James Williams, who busted. So there was a method for taking those guys early. Besides, their OL and DL was already strong, a product of Bill Polian knowing what the hell to do and ignoring Linda Bogdan's worthless opinion. They were strong at the specialty positions as well, hence selecting DB's.

Fast forward to 2006, and the Bills had Clements, McGee, and Greer. With a distinct weakness on the OL and DL, they decided to make luxury picks and take 3 DB's out of 4 picks. They followed that up with 4 more DB's in the next 2 drafts.

I trust BP to make good picks. He's not batting 1.000, but he's usually right on. Can anyone say they trust the Bills front office to make good picks, especially with no one a decent record up there outside of perhaps Modrak calling the shots?

It's fine to take DB's when your lines are strong. But if not, taking a DB is a luxury pick.

Right on! Just hanging in there

Fast forward to 2006, and the Bills had Clements, McGee, and Greer. With a distinct weakness on the OL and DL, they decided to make luxury picks and take 3 DB's out of 4 picks. They followed that up with 4 more DB's in the next 2 drafts.

I trust BP to make good picks. He's not batting 1.000, but he's usually right on. Can anyone say they trust the Bills front office to make good picks, especially with no one a decent record up there outside of perhaps Modrak calling the shots?

It's fine to take DB's when your lines are strong. But if not, taking a DB is a luxury pick.

Greer?? He was not even close to starting in 2006. Clements was going to leave in 2007 for sure.

Exactly right. And, unfortunately, when you follow that logic to its ultimate end, it means that the BILLS are not long for Buffalo. Hello, Toronto Thunder or LA Rumble, but no matter how you slice it, goodbye BILLS.

Greer?? He was not even close to starting in 2006. Clements was going to leave in 2007 for sure.

That's why he was given a 2 year contract prior to 2007. If they weren't serious about playing him, why would they have re-signed him?

DJ and his defensive coaches didn't realize what they had in (EDIT: Greer). It's why they wasted a 3rd rounder on Youboty (who's can't stay healthy) and signed a guy who's out of the NFL in Jason Webster.

Greer has been a good player, but DJ's coaches didn't know it. Kinda like they didn't know to play Fred Jackson over Anthony Thomas or bench Peerless Price when he couldn't play.

DJ doesn't know his own personnel, which is just another in a litany of reasons why he's incompetent. Greer was better in 06 than Youboty.

Bang on! I've always felt that year after year ol' Ralphie boy just hopes to fall ass backwards into a championship. Sure, he wants to win, but not by spending his money! :doh:

Do you know how much Ralph is worth? Does anybody out here? You say the economics of the NFL have passed him by, but how do you really know that? Sure he's old, 90 years old - just our luck he's an egomaniac that can't retire and let real football people run his football team. I don't wish him ill health. I never want anyone to "just die already" like a few idiots have posted.

But I'm not buying into this idea that he is just folding up his tent and waiting to pass away, trying to hold onto every cent. He may be cheap when it comes to GM and coaches, but he's shelled out plenty of top shelf money to players....most of which don't come close to deserving it.

So it really is worse then your theory. He does care about doing more then simply finishing close to .500 until he dies. But he thinks that he can make all the decisions - a la Al Davis, while saving that money on management and coaching, and actually win. If not, Dockery and Walker would never have been offered so much money.