Looking at the Coaches across the NFL

WVUFootball29

AFC East

Buffalo (7-9) Dick Jauron (57-76) Career

3 7-9 seasons look to be it for Jauron in Buffalo. However it was rumored early in the year that he signed a 3 year extension. While never made official, you never know what might happen in Buffalo over the next few weeks. While an improvement win-wise over his predecessors, DJ still did not get the Bills into the playoffs and that should be reason enough for him to get his walking papers.

New England* (11-5) Bill Belichick 138-86

Only the second 11 win team to miss the playoffs, the Pats* will undoubtedly have BB back in 2009.

Miami (11-5) Tony Sporano (11-5)

Proof you don’t need to be an established HC to win, Sporano helped the Phins win 10 more games than 2007 and their first playoff appearance since 2001. A second offseason for Parcells and company could really turn Miami into a solid team over the next few seasons

NY Jets (9-7) Eric Mangini (23-25)

Another Belichick disciple that hasn’t quite found a way to be a consistent winner in the NFL. I guess the master doesn’t reveal all his secrets. Talk around NYC is that Mangini is on the hot seat, but I think he’ll still be a Jet in 2009

AFC North

Pittsburgh (12-4) Mike Tomlin (22-10)

Tomlin has done a very good job keeping the Steelers competitive since the departure of Bill Cowher. The Steelers are in the playoffs, but Big Ben is hurt and that could really hurt Mike’s chances of getting his first playoff win.

Cleveland (4-12) Romeo Crennel (24-40)

Crennel looks to be on his way out in Cleveland after a very disappointing season. Derek Anderson couldn’t live up to his 2007 performance and both he and Brady Quinn ended up on the IR. Crennel will likely catch on as a DC somewhere in 2009

Cincinnati (4-11-1) Marvin Lewis (46-49)

Losing Carson Palmer early in the year sure didn’t help the Bengals in 2008. Lewis has been a pretty consistent coach, but has yet to show his teams can consistently win. I don’t think he’ll be leaving Cincinnati this year, but the playoffs are a must in 2009 for Lewis.

Baltimore (11-5) John Harbaugh (11-5)

Another first year coach in the playoffs, albeit the Ravens were a pretty good team when JH took over. If Flacco can continue to progress like he did in 2008, the Ravens will finally have the one piece of the puzzle that has eluded them for the past few years.

AFC South

Jacksonville (5-11) Jack Del Rio (50-46)

Del Rio hasn’t had the greatest record over the past 4 years with the Jags, but 2 playoff appearances in 4 years is still pretty good. Rumor has it that Jack is on the hot seat, but I think he’ll get one more season at the helm.

Indianapolis (12-4) Tony Dungy (139-69)

One of the best coaches in recent NFL history, Tony Dungy has found his way into the playoffs again. Dungy will be around until he decides it’s time to move on.

Titans (13-3) Jeff Fisher (128-102)

Jeff Fisher kept Vince Young on the bench after an early season injury and the Titans found themselves with the best record in the NFL with Kerry Collins at the helm. Fisher won’t be going anywhere

Texans (8-8) Gary Kubiak (22-26)

Kubiak has led the team to their first non-losing season in franchise history. Schaub is starting to emerge as a solid QB and Steve Slaton gave the Texans a valid rushing threat. Little by little the Texans are improving into a playoff caliber team in a tough conference.

AFC West

Denver (8-8) Mike Shanahan (146-97)

A solid HC that can turn nearly any RB into a star, Shanny has fallen off the past few seasons. The Broncos haven’t made the playoffs since 2005 and haven’t had a winning season since 2006. It’s possible to see Mike in a different city come 2009.

San Diego (8-8) Norv Turner (76-95)

An offensive guru that continues to get head coaching opportunities, Turner and the Bolts squeaked into the playoffs this year. While I doubt Turner gets ousted as HC, one has to wonder how he continues to get positions like this?

Oakland (5-11) Lane Kiffin (5-15) > Tom Cable (4-8)

Al Davis gave Kiffin the boot after a 1-3 start and it sounds like Cable won’t be back as the HC in 2009 either. Outside of Rob Ryan and Jim Fassel, I can’t imagine who would be interested in putting up with Al as HC in 2009.

Kansas City (2-14) Herm Edwards (54-74)

I find it hard to believe that Herm will be back in KC next season. Carl Peterson has resigned as GM and whoever KC brings in to rebuild will more than likely perform as massive gut job and start from scratch. It might be best for Herm to step back from being a HC for a season or two and get his feet back under him.

NFC East

NY Giants (12-4) Tom Coughlin (115-93)

Coming off a Super Bowl win in 2007, TC and company are looking to repeat again in 2008. 12-4 in the most competitive division of 2008 is the product of solid coaching and having all the right players.

Dallas (9-7) Wade Phillips (70-49)

Jerry Jones says his job is safe, but I can’t imagine Wade still being in Dallas as the HC in 2009. Still a decent record as HC will probably land Wade another job in 2009, perhaps KC?

Washington (8-8) Jim Zorn (8-8)

What do the Bills and Redskins have in common? How about a massive midseason implosion that cost both teams a playoff appearance? However, unlike his Buffalo counterpart, Zorn is guaranteed to be back in 2009 according to the Redskins.

Philadelphia (9-6-1) Andy Reid (97-62)

Reid has been a solid coach in Philly, but the Eagles have missed the playoffs the past few seasons and it’s highly possible that Reid will be jettison with Donovan McNabb in 2009.

NFC North

Chicago (9-7) Lovie Smith (45-35)

Lovie has to be on the hot seat as the Bears have missed the playoffs for the second straight year and have yet to find a reliable starting QB. That said, I’m sure Lovie will still be a Bear in 2009.

Green Bay (6-10) Mike McCarthy (27-21)

The Packers took as step back has they finally cut the cord with Brett Favre. However, sometimes it is necessary to take a step back before you move forward. 2009 will be a defining point for McCarthy’s career in GB.

Minnesota (10-6) Brad Childress (24-24)

Childress benched QB Tavaris Jackson early in the season after a slow start for journeyman Gus Frerotte. However, the decision appears to be have worked in favor of both Jackson and the Vikings has Minnesota has taken the NFC North crown and Jackson appears to finally be looking like an NFL QB.

Detroit (0-16) Rod Marinelli (10-38)

It is highly doubtful that Rod is back in 2009. The Lions were absolutely dreadful in 2008 as they made NFL history as the worst team ever.

NFC South

Tampa Bay (9-7) John Gruden (95-81)

Only 1 game over .500 in his time with the Bucs should have Gruden on the hotseat this offseason. However, I doubt TB makes a move here and keep him around for 2009.

Carolina (12-4) John Fox (63-49)

Fox has been on and off the hot seat the past few years, but it looks like Carolina has finally found a rushing tandem like the one that took them to the Super Bowl in 2003. He should be safe this offseason.

Atlanta (11-5) Mike Smith (11-5)

Yet another first year coach in the playoffs, Mike Smith has helped lead the Falcons to their first playoff appearance in 4 years. A lot of thanks go to the play of rookie Matt Ryan, as well as, Michael Turner. Atlanta appears to be a contender for the next few seasons.

New Orleans (8-8) Sean Payton (25-23)

Well the mojo that New Orleans found after Hurricane Katrina is gone and the Saints have missed the playoffs for the second straight season despite Drew Brees nearly surpassing Dan Marino’s record for passing yards in a season. Payton and the Saints will have to find a way to improve in 2009.

NFC West

San Francisco (7-9) Mike Nolan (18-37) > Mike Singletary (5-4)

Mike Nolan was shown the door after a 2-5 start. Singletary started out a little slow, but after benching JT O’Sullivan and Vernon Davis, as well as dropping his pants to prove a point in the locker room, the 49ers finished 5-4. It was announced tonight on ESPN that Singletary was appointed official HC.

Seattle (4-12) Mike Holmgren (161-111)

A Hall of Fame coach for sure, Holmgren has talked about retirement after the 2008 season. Unfortunately at this point, it looks like a good plan as the Seahawks took a step back in 2008.

Arizona (9-7) Ken Wisenhunt (17-15)

Wisenhunt has helped turn the Arizona Cardinals around in 2 seasons and led them to their first playoff appearance in 10 years. However, Wisenhunt will be tested in 2009 as Kurt Warner is a free agent after this season and Matt Leinart hasn’t really developed into an NFL QB.

St. Louis (2-14) Scott Linehan (11-25)> Jim Haslett (47-61)

Scott Linehan was relieved of his HC duties after nearly the entire St. Louis franchise turned on him. Jim Haslett didn’t fare much better going 2-9 as the interim HC, but was provisionally named the next HC before the NFL cited the Rams for not following the Rooney rule. We’ll have to wait and see what the Rams decide to do for 2009, but my guess it will probably be Haslett.

Parcells is rumored to be walking away from the Dollfans with $12million in hand for 1 year of work...in his contract there is a clause that states he can leave with full pay if Miamis owner sells the team and PFT.com has reported that Wayne H. is close to selling...I dont think this hurts the HC position or any of the coaches really..but Miami will have to find a new GM and Parcells will be off to help another team restart

NFC West

San Francisco (7-9) Mike Nolan (18-37) > Mike Singletary (5-4)

Mike Nolan was shown the door after a 2-5 start. Singletary started out a little slow, but after benching JT O'Sullivan and Vernon Davis, as well as dropping his pants to prove a point in the locker room, the 49ers finished 5-4. It was announced tonight on ESPN that Singletary was appointed official HC.

St. Louis (2-14) Scott Linehan (11-25)> Jim Haslett (47-61)

Scott Linehan was relieved of his HC duties after nearly the entire St. Louis franchise turned on him. Jim Haslett didn't fare much better going 2-9 as the interim HC, but was provisionally named the next HC before the NFL cited the Rams for not following the Rooney rule. We'll have to wait and see what the Rams decide to do for 2009, but my guess it will probably be Haslett.

Interesting how Rooney Rule applies for one coach and not the other.

Parcells is rumored to be walking away from the Dollfans with $12million in hand for 1 year of work...in his contract there is a clause that states he can leave with full pay if Miamis owner sells the team and PFT.com has reported that Wayne H. is close to selling...I dont think this hurts the HC position or any of the coaches really..but Miami will have to find a new GM and Parcells will be off to help another team restart

I'd be shocked and delighted if Parcells went anywhere after only one year.

look at the spirit of the rule--and don't be such a bigot

I an not a bigot asswipe. It is wrong to be prejudge anyone by the color of their skin whether they are black, white, yellow or red. If the rule is to allow competition than it works both ways.

I an not a bigot asswipe. It is wrong to be prejudge anyone by the color of their skin whether they are black, white, yellow or red. If the rule is to allow competition than it works both ways.

The Rooney Rule was enacted to insure that at least 1 minority candidate was interviewed for each HC opening. SF has satisfied that rule.

Sounds like you are against the rule in principle, but, without it there would be fewer minority HCs.

your true colors show you bigot--why do you even cre enough to bring it up?