My mock draft/and offseason plan

bobobonators

Ya, McCall has def. been great...how high do you see him going? I can't see him going any higher than the 5th round or so..and hopefully we'd be able to snag him.

i think we need more of a pass catching te not a blocking one-royal is known to be a good blocker.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schouman and Fine to me are interchangeable and one isn't any more of an impact player than the other. As for Kellen Winslow, I'm not sure. He's ovbiously got talent, but you know how this organization is with "high character" guys, something Winslow might lack. I would stay away from him. If we were to take a chance on a questionable character like Kellen, I would rather have him be a "sure thing" on the field. He hasn't proven that yet imo.

Agreed he's a great talent but he has a lot of baggage and injury problems.

the only argument is with so many "high character" guys would one bad apple ruin the whole bunch or just be ignored and eventually fall in line? I dunno, we all see what TO does to every single team he has been on.

I hereby unilaterally elect bobonators to be GM and VP of football operations.

I think landing Warner would be incredibly difficult, but if there is a way I'm all for it. I also like the idea of actually drafting a FB. I'm tired of having a rarely used FB who seems like some guy we just picked up off the street. If there's a Tony Richardson or Lorenzo Neal type of guy out there, I'm all for landing him.

I always thought it would be great to add an affensive threat at fb. I wouldn't mark at as a high priority need but it would be nice to have a FB make catches and run a few times.

Larry Centers anyone?

Derek Fine can not hold Chase Coffman's jock. Drafting Coffman would instantly solve the tight end problem and add a ton to this offense. Just go do a youtube search on Coffman.....theres about 3 pages of awesomeness going on. :bag::P

Derek Fine can not hold Chase Coffman's jock. Drafting Coffman would instantly solve the tight end problem and add a ton to this offense. Just go do a youtube search on Coffman.....theres about 3 pages of awesomeness going on. :D:nana:

Coffman looks pretty great, can he block?

I hereby unilaterally elect bobonators to be GM and VP of football operations.

I think landing Warner would be incredibly difficult, but if there is a way I'm all for it. I also like the idea of actually drafting a FB. I'm tired of having a rarely used FB who seems like some guy we just picked up off the street. If there's a Tony Richardson or Lorenzo Neal type of guy out there, I'm all for landing him.

LOL..thanks. I think McCall would be a much better addition over anything we have now. It's been YEARS since our RB's had a solid blocker leading the way.

I always thought it would be great to add an affensive threat at fb. I wouldn't mark at as a high priority need but it would be nice to have a FB make catches and run a few times.

Larry Centers anyone?

They let Centers go because they wanted more of a blocking fullback, which was fine, but when they got a blocking fullback (I think Sam Gash came back for a year or so before he gave way to Shelton) they still insisted on throwing to him out of the back field. It seems to me that if you want to reduce the fullback role to blocking for a power running game, then suck it up and face the fact that you can't throw that guy the freakin ball as an outlet receiver 3 times a game!

One thing that's stiking about the Bills during the era of futility is the lack of defined roels fo rplayers. They talk about it in the offseason - Trent Edwards making quick passes to receivers who get open quick, power running team, quick and active defense, four man rush pressure, etc - but they can never follow up on those characterizations. The good teams have a guys on the roster who fill roles - whether they be large or small roles - and fill those roles well. They don't necessarily have the best pure football prospects all over their teams, but they have guys who do what they do well. We seem to find guys who do one thing well and then try to move them to another position (seemingly to see if they can do something else well), but it doesn't seem to work out and then the guy they moved never goes back to where he was actually successful and then we lose that player.

Look at how they currently use Jackson and Lynch from game to game. Why would Jackson ever be used on the goalline? Makes no sense whatsoever unless Lynch is not playing. Nothing against Jackson, but Lynch is an animal, especially near the goalline. Another example, what about our o-line? The first year the current group was together, they kept trying to zone block witht he biggest line in the league. I understand that it was popular amungst teams at that time, but use some common sense. You got big guys, make them hit some one.

So in conclusion, that's what I think of the Bills since Larry Centers left.

Coffman looks pretty great, can he block?

Much like Rucker, he was never really asked to be an inline blocker at Mizzou. The dude is an absolute throwback though....he's got a Chuck Norris like reputation around Missouri for his toughness..... broke his finger in a morning spring practice, had it operated on later in the day and then tried to convince the coaches to let him practice the next day. He's been playing with a SEVERE turf toe over the last few weeks and he's still been catching TDs left and right. He might be a question mark as a blocking TE but he would be a major threat in the passing game, something we've been lacking for over a decade.

Not sure if anyone else has checked this out yet, but we are in the running for a top 10 draft spot. I think that is a pretty terrible thing considering our start and how easy our schedule was. And Jauron still might have been extended? Gross.

Anyways, right now we are penciled in at 11. Obviously that can change and because of our schedule, it might be hard for us to crack the top 10. But, most would bet against us winning one of the next 2 games, so 6-10 might be push us into the 10 spot. That being said, the Bills have a reputation for playing pretty well when it does not matter in the least bit. So I could see us winning one of the next 2 and sitting at 11 or 12. By the way, why is that the Bills only play well in garbage time or garbage games?

Much like Rucker, he was never really asked to be an inline blocker at Mizzou. The dude is an absolute throwback though....he's got a Chuck Norris like reputation around Missouri for his toughness..... broke his finger in a morning spring practice, had it operated on later in the day and then tried to convince the coaches to let him practice the next day. He's been playing with a SEVERE turf toe over the last few weeks and he's still been catching TDs left and right. He might be a question mark as a blocking TE but he would be a major threat in the passing game, something we've been lacking for over a decade.

I would love to see us take Coffman, definitely love it, but word out of Buffalo is that the staff is real high oh Derek Fine. He has shown some potential, so who knows. But with the staff pretty high on this guy, I have a hard time seeing them drafting Coffman, even if Coffman looks like another Witten out there. If Coffman is available to us in the 2nd round (which I dont really believe he will be) and we pass on him, it will be a shame.

I hope they move Fine into the starting lineup these last 2 weeks and give him extensive playing time to see what the kid can show.

I was praying for Dustin Keller this past draft, and he is showing some serious potential in NY. So, I will again hope for Coffman this year, I am just not getting my hopes up because if they are high on Fine they will probably use their high picks on either areas they see as a more pressing need.

Nice thoughts but pipe dreams for us landing these Free Agents:

Warner

Peppers

Haynesworth

Boldin

Houshmanzadeh

Warner will not leave AZ to play any where else and has already pubicly said this. Its AZ or bust for him, so as much as I would love to see him in Buffalo, its just not gonna happen. Might as well wish for a Manning or Brady too...

Peppers most likely resigns with Carolina. If not it will be because he gets some obscene contract some where else, but so far everything points to Carolina wanting to resign him and Peppers preferring to stay in Carolina.

Haynesworth is going to be the MOST sought after FA on the market, with teams willing to throw an abusrd amount of money at him. I dont know if we will break the bank on this guy considering our interior D Line isnt considered to be a major need for us. Stroud and Co. have done a pretty good job and would be helped tremendously with some DE help and better LB play. Add that to the fact he will have his pick of several places to play over Buffalo, and I just dont see this as a realistic scenario. I will say though that our best bargaining chip here is that he would get to play next to a stud in Stroud and could be attracted to that which will make his life even easier as teams cant just simply triple team him with Stroud and Schobel on the line.

Boldin and Housh - Boldin will be playing for AZ or Philly next year. If Philly keeps McNabb then they will go after Boldin as they already tried to trade for him. If Boldin reups in AZ they move on to Housh. If Philly lands Boldin, then I think that opens up the window for us on Housh.

Of the 5, I think we may have the best shot at Haynesworth or Housh but its still a long shot.

Draft:

1. Michael Johnson--DE. Beast mode part II

2. Chase Coffman--TE. This offense and our QB's finally need a reliable TE. At 6'6, he would also be an instant redzone threat. He could very well be here for us when we pick in the 2nd. GET HIM.

3. Antoine Caldwell--C

4. Dorrell Scott--DT

5. Worrell Williams--MLB

6. Travis McCall--FB

7. Whatever.

Done. :D

You are just as bad as the Bills last 3 GM's: Donahoe, Levy & (Wilson/Modrak/Guy/Brandon/Jauron)! The 3 centers on your roster currently are Mel Fowler, Duke Preston & Christian Gaddis. Yet you would ignore the very best center/guard available in the first or second rounds. You will wait until round 3 to draft your center. I don't care about "reaching" in a draft. When there is a quality OFFENSIVE LINEMEN rated first or second rounder, you damn well better draft him. I have not even bothered to look at any '09 draft boards or even know who Caldwell is or where he's ranked. But it is time for Buffalo to draft the best center on the entire draft board with their number one pick of the '09 draft - be it 8 through 13, and I don't care if Mel Kiper thinks Brandon is an idiot for "reaching."

You say this Michael Johnson DE is another beast? So what! Your center handles the football every offensive play, and the Bills have not had an NFL caliber center since Kent Hull retired in 1996!!

Draft:

1. Michael Johnson--DE. Beast mode part II

2. Chase Coffman--TE. This offense and our QB's finally need a reliable TE. At 6'6, he would also be an instant redzone threat. He could very well be here for us when we pick in the 2nd. GET HIM.

3. Antoine Caldwell--C

4. Dorrell Scott--DT

5. Worrell Williams--MLB

6. Travis McCall--FB

7. Whatever.

Done. :D

I just googled the first 2009 draft prospects site. Here is who the Bills should draft with their first pick in the first round, most likely the 9th thru the 13th overall pick of the draft:

Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma - 6'5- 335 or Alex Mack, C, California Rising - 6'4- 316

Both were listed at the bottom of the first round, I'm sure the draft guru's will mock the Bills for "reaching" that far down to draft either one of those guys. But WHO THE HELL CARES, when either could step in and start at center and most likely be the Bills' center for the next freakin' 10 years!!?? IF NOT NOW, WHEN, DO THE BILLS ADDRESS THEIR OFFENSIVE LINE WITH A FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK??? To think that their one and only Pro Bowler since Reuban Brown is an undrafted free agent tight end! Peters is good, but obviously he is not enough to make any quarterback for the Bills look good alone!

You are just as bad as the Bills last 3 GM's: Donahoe, Levy & (Wilson/Modrak/Guy/Brandon/Jauron)! The 3 centers on your roster currently are Mel Fowler, Duke Preston & Christian Gaddis. Yet you would ignore the very best center/guard available in the first or second rounds. You will wait until round 3 to draft your center. I don't care about "reaching" in a draft. When there is a quality OFFENSIVE LINEMEN rated first or second rounder, you damn well better draft him. I have not even bothered to look at any '09 draft boards or even know who Caldwell is or where he's ranked. But it is time for Buffalo to draft the best center on the entire draft board with their number one pick of the '09 draft - be it 8 through 13, and I don't care if Mel Kiper thinks Brandon is an idiot for "reaching."

You say this Michael Johnson DE is another beast? So what! Your center handles the football every offensive play, and the Bills have not had an NFL caliber center since Kent Hull retired in 1996!!

I'm sorry bro, but if you don't even know who Caldwell is, don't take the time to sit there and lecture me about what we should/shouldn't do in the draft. Educate yourself first, then talk. Or here's a thought - watch some college football, instead of "googling" other people's mock drafts.

As for your input, thanks but no thanks. :lol:

I'm sorry bro, but if you don't even know who Caldwell is, don't take the time to sit there and lecture me about what we should/shouldn't do in the draft. Educate yourself first, then talk. Or here's a thought - watch some college football, instead of "googling" other people's mock drafts.

As for your input, thanks but no thanks. <_<

<_< I looked up on Rivals.com who Antoine Caldwell is. Generally regarded as the second or third best center available in the draft. Nice third round choice on your educated mock draft. But my point is still the same, whether you choose to accept my input or not. Caldwell and the other best centers in this draft, Arkansas' Jonathan Luigs, California's Alex Mack and Oregon's Max Unger, will be off the board before Buffalo drafts in the third round. For the first time since 2002 they need to draft one of these OL's in the first or second round.