Mike Schopp: The Up Front Incompetence

wardigital

I know it's been covered a thousand times before on this board and in other places, but it gets to the point where its a little asinine. Aside from the fact that Schopp has created some invisible, immeasurable separation between himself and "fans" (as though having a communications degree makes you something superior to a "fan")

But today takes the cake. Maybe alongside getting rid of JP Losman, and this coaching staff, we ought to rally the community around getting rid of the utter abortion that is Schopp and the Bulldog on Bills post game shows. Yes, yes, I know it's frustrating to take calls from callers after losses who say the same thing for hours on end, but the demeaning nature of this show is unbecoming of the channel as a whole.

Today's post-game topic? Mike Schopp has decided to defend the coaching staff because, "I don't see how fans can say it was incorrect to pass with JP Losman today, but incorrect to pass in the Cleveland game."

There are a half dozen differences that are important in that scenario, of course, but here is a pretty important one that this professional, allegedly intellectually superior to his callers has missed:

AGAINST CLEVELAND, WE DID NOT HAVE THE LEAD.

AGAINST THE JETS, WE HAD THE LEAD.

Of course, any caller is cut off and belittled before they can even get to that point (I am not referring to myself), but if Schopp can't even differentiate between something as simple as that, it is not a matter of whether or not he is entertaining, it is a matter of whether or not he deserves to be in a mid-major media market.

sh-- can him. Send him back to the hills with his 14 listeners where he can get away with calling everybody stupid. There's plenty of room on the wagon out of town for this idiot, too.

Thank you for making this point, Schopp is way off base today. Comparing the play calling against Cleveland going for a lead vs. today holding a lead is comparing apples to oranges. These guys should be ripping Dick a new one. Ralph should fire him today.

I know it's been covered a thousand times before on this board and in other places, but it gets to the point where its a little asinine. Aside from the fact that Schopp has created some invisible, immeasurable separation between himself and "fans" (as though having a communications degree makes you something superior to a "fan")

But today takes the cake. Maybe alongside getting rid of JP Losman, and this coaching staff, we ought to rally the community around getting rid of the utter abortion that is Schopp and the Bulldog on Bills post game shows. Yes, yes, I know it's frustrating to take calls from callers after losses who say the same thing for hours on end, but the demeaning nature of this show is unbecoming of the channel as a whole.

Today's post-game topic? Mike Schopp has decided to defend the coaching staff because, "I don't see how fans can say it was incorrect to pass with JP Losman today, but incorrect to pass in the Cleveland game."

There are a half dozen differences that are important in that scenario, of course, but here is a pretty important one that this professional, allegedly intellectually superior to his callers has missed:

AGAINST CLEVELAND, WE DID NOT HAVE THE LEAD.

AGAINST THE JETS, WE HAD THE LEAD.

Of course, any caller is cut off and belittled before they can even get to that point (I am not referring to myself), but if Schopp can't even differentiate between something as simple as though, it is not a matter of whether or not he is entertaining, it is a matter of whether or not he deserves to be in a mid-major media market.

sh-- can him. Send him back to the hills with his 14 listeners where he can get away with calling everybody stupid. There's plenty of room on the wagon out of town for this idiot, too.

I COMPLETELY agree with you. Last year I called in after the Dallas game and out of habit I said "hey how you doing?" as I think every sports caller does. He hung up on me, and then went off and said "how do you think I'm doing??!?" and essentially proceeded to have a meltdown on the air. I sent him an email that evening, letting him know that he really should do something he enjoys because he certainly seems to hate his current life. I also said that I was a season ticket holder to both the Bills and the Sabres, drive in from Rochester for almost every game, and happen to put a few sentences together without f'ing up or losing my place. Anyway, I guess I wasn't the only one who contacted GR after his berating of the callers, and he brought it up on the air (he didn't reply back, however...I didn't expect him to). I guess this is just another chalked up relation to a losing organization - why should we expect some class to be connected to a classless group of chumps?

I was a little sickened last week that they started to complain about how tough their job is. Then don't do it. You live in a region of over 1 million people. Many of whom are males who would give a foot to have a job that easy and fun.

Who complained??? Schopp??? Yeah with unemployment going through the roof and a recession really started to get ugly, he's ungrateful and whining like a B word. Great.

Mike Schopp is a joke! It's unbelievable that this guy has a radio show. How does a guy who's attitude sucks so bad, keep a job? The bulldog has to be the most spineless, low self-esteem, "yes man", sidekick ever. :(:angry:

I bet he kicks his dog...and I don't mean that p!@#ssy the bull dog.

Who complained??? Schopp??? Yeah with unemployment going through the roof and a recession really started to get ugly, he's ungrateful and whining like a B word. Great.

Yes. In all seriousness, without the vitriol of insinuating you wish bad things to happen to him, I will just say this: In evaluating the performance of Mike Schopp over the course of his career at WGR, he is about as bad as the teams he covers. And, if his job was held to the same standard as the Buffalo Bills or the Buffalo Sabres players, he should, too, be gone. He is constantly pandering to his guests, though I can pick out on a daily basis inaccurate, erroneous things that his interview subjects talk about on his program. If a caller to his show was to make the same points, he'd jump all over it, cut them off and have a coniption fit. Unprofessional.

So then don't take callers. That is a solution. But the problem there is that Mike Schopp, being the ham and egger sort of communications host that he is, can not put together a meaningful show without the foundation of a caller base. So his only solution is to be as consistently incendiary as possible toward callers and about callers. Again, unprofessional.

He seems to fail to recognize that he represents this community on the airwaves just as the players represent the community on the field.

Another week, another "I hate Mike Schopp" thread.

And yet, you keep listening. Maybe I'm weird this way, but if I find something I don't like, I try not to subject myself to continued exposure to same. Just a thought ...

And yet, you keep listening. Maybe I'm weird this way, but if I find something I don't like, I try not to subject myself to continued exposure to same. Just a thought ...

It is not a matter of "not liking" something. I like Sports Talk Radio. I like Buffalo Sports.

In the same way that I do not like the way the Buffalo Bills have operated as an organization over the last decade, I like them and so I continue to watch them anyway.

I like Sports Talk Radio related to Buffalo sports and so I continue to listen to it.

I don't find that the only appropriate way for a consumer to be able to voice their opinion about wishing changes on something they like is to boycott it. If that is the only effective way to ever do anything in Buffalo, we are in big trouble.

That way, madness roams.

To each his own, but you do have a choice: 97 Rock postgame show

Thanks for the link. I agree, to each their own.

I will also just say though, you have a choice as to who you watch on Sundays, too. But I wouldn't leave the Bills, I'd just want them to be better than they are, and what they are going through is unacceptable. I have the same approach with WGR.

For those still masochistic enough to listen to the postgame, Nick Mendola just said that the actual playcall on Losman's fumble was a pass to Corey McIntyre.

Yeah, Corey McIntyre. No, I'm not making that up. Neither was he. Oh, and he disagrees with Schopp about the play:

"Why in the world were they passing on 2nd-and-5 with just over two minutes to play and the lead? That was easily the dumbest play call of the year. Bar none. I want you all to send me emails about dumber play calls and I will tell you why this one was worse. Horrible, horrible, horrible."

Should be a fun hour ...

I don't keep listening Lori - in fact I haven't listened to him since the Dallas game last year. I just think it's pretty shameful but expected for WGR to continue to pay a guy who frankly stinks at his job. It's par for the course though with the Bills organization...anything that's associated with it right now is pretty poisonous (hence that's why I stopped listening to him a while ago). My email to him was a while back stating that his show relies on ratings, which translates to ad revenue, which translates to business people like me placing the ads in the first place. So, he takes it personally and inaccurately with the callers (like me) and I haven't listened since.

I COMPLETELY agree with you. Last year I called in after the Dallas game and out of habit I said "hey how you doing?" as I think every sports caller does. He hung up on me, and then went off and said "how do you think I'm doing??!?" and essentially proceeded to have a meltdown on the air. I sent him an email that evening, letting him know that he really should do something he enjoys because he certainly seems to hate his current life. I also said that I was a season ticket holder to both the Bills and the Sabres, drive in from Rochester for almost every game, and happen to put a few sentences together without f'ing up or losing my place. Anyway, I guess I wasn't the only one who contacted GR after his berating of the callers, and he brought it up on the air (he didn't reply back, however...I didn't expect him to). I guess this is just another chalked up relation to a losing organization - why should we expect some class to be connected to a classless group of chumps?

because every idiot before you asked the same question as you, and he answered it already. I would get sick of every schmuck caller asking me how im doing after a bills loss too.