Ralph's real legacy

mikecole1

What did he ever do without Bill Polian? Sorry all a 1964 AFL championship with six teams in the league won't cut it. Without providing a detailed history, he fired Bill Polian after three super bowls cause he couldn't get along with his bean counter.

I remember "Ralph Busters" shirts being sold outside of Rich Stadium during the Bruce Mathison, Joe Dufek years. I guess fans have a short memory that this guy was a colossal failure before Polian arrived - and now after.

What did he ever do without Bill Polian? Sorry all a 1964 AFL championship with six teams in the league won't cut it. Without providing a detailed history, he fired Bill Polian after three super bowls cause he couldn't get along with his bean counter.

I remember "Ralph Busters" shirts being sold outside of Rich Stadium during the Bruce Mathison, Joe Dufek years. I guess fans have a short memory that this guy was a colossal failure before Polian arrived - and now after.

Thanks for getting that off your chest....

Of course it was a huge mistake to fire Polian. I'll always maintain he is the finest GM in the modern era, because he was excellent before and after the salary cap. His departure stings even more when you consider Ralph favored his CFO over an unreplaceable BP.

It's time though to move on. We can blame RW for getting rid of Saban, Knox, pushing Butler/Smith out the door, and other bad choices. But it's not going to make our current situation any better.

Buffalo needs to find a guy like Polian was back around 1985. That is, someone who flies under the radar and knows the NFL well enough to find players. I'm very interested to see if RW will give Russ Brandon the leeway to do just that and rebuild this team into a winner. If that doesn't happen, nothing will change.

It would be interesting to go back over the years and analyze every decision that has been made by the organization -- and try to reach a determination if the person we blamed at the time was the one REALLY responsible for the decision.

For example we now know that Ralph pressured Wade into starting RJ over Flutie in the Music City game. I have always also thought that Wilson was also responsible for the decision to keep RJ over Flutie heading into the 2001 season. Recall that TD, when he was working for ESPN, made a blunt statement that there was really no decision to be made when you looked at the QBs' winning %. Recall also that RJ himself expected to be cut.